close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Our New Attack Cat!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Arc Angel, May 19, 2007.

1. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

I originally wrote this for a thread in, ‘Tactics And Training’ entitled, ‘Your Home Defense Setup, LOCATION’ After proofreading the piece, I thought it might have gone a little off topic, and ended up worth it’s own thread somewhere else – Maybe here.

Black Rob, I hear ya! Nothing better than a blind Rat Terrier. (Had one when I was a kid – Great dog!) :thumbsup:

I’m surprised nobody’s said anything about keeping a cell phone with their gun? Anyway, late last year a stray cat began hanging around our backyard. (Probably because of the birdfeeder.) As the months past, we noticed this cat was getting skinnier and skinnier. At first it would run away whenever we were outside; but, after awhile, it began to approach our dogs whenever it had a chance. The poor thing looked pretty miserable; so, soft touch that I am, I began to leave some of our cat’s dry kibble underneath one of the trees every night.

It wasn’t long afterward that this stray began walking right up to our Pit Bull and rubbing on her legs – absolutely no fear of the bulldog! (It was the Dachshund whom the cat hesitated to approach.) When I realized what lousy shape this cat was in, I tried to catch it, but no luck. Wouldn’t come anywhere near me! My wife, however, managed to get it into a crate and off to the vet we went. 300-400 dollars later we owned a second cat. When the vet's receptionist insisted that I give her a name for this new critter I said; ‘Call him L.B.’ The vet looked over, smiled, and replied; ‘I get it!’ :supergrin:

Well, as things have turned out, ‘L.B.’ (Who’s now called, ‘Tweed’) must have been horribly abused by some large adult male. He doesn’t like men, won’t leave the house, and absolutely hates strangers! Whenever he senses someone coming he’ll begin to pace back and forth and, then, he starts to growl – That’s right, I said growl – just like a dog! Turns out, Tweed is the best darned 400 dollar burglar alarm you could ever ask for. :)

Our Pit Bull? NOT a good burglar alarm. Much too self-confident for that! Our Dachshund? Just the opposite: Good burglar alarm! Alert, very inquisitive, and (until the stray cat) always the first to let you know – especially at night!

Which leaves our Maine Coon cat who, pretty much, does his own thing. If, however, he should suddenly dive off a window sill or jump into my lap, well, it's worth taking look. One time I glanced outside to go eyeball-to-eyeball with a huge bison that had escaped from a neighbor's pasture. (They're completely unpredictable and can be VERY scary!) :shocked:

My wife tells me when I’m away from home our new cat actually seems to guard her. If someone comes up to the door, Tweed will stop growling and take up a nearby ambush position! He’s more than doubled his weight since we’ve had him, is now a big fellow, and still has all his claws. All I can say is, I know I wouldn’t want him to launch himself at me!

Do I keep a loaded gun in the house? Yeah, several of them. The general rule is to always have one within arm’s reach. (I do - along with a cell phone!) ;)

(By the way, it's only been the past few weeks; but, all of a sudden, Tweed has started coming up to me looking to be petted - Nice cat! Just took him awhile to come around.) :thumbsup:

2. goldenlight

goldenlight

Rescued, stray cats can make the best pets. They remember being cold, hungry, and thirsty.

They know the difference being with people makes in their lives. Often, after they overcome their initial fear, etc., they become the most loving pets. :thumbsup:

It's still a cold cruel world out there.

They don't want to go back...

3. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) Here's a picture taken after Tweed had been with us for about a month. (Remember, he'd almost starved to death!) At the present time Tweed's, at least, 3X's heavier and much more mature looking. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My wife keeps telling me that he's really scary looking; but she's, also, become very fond of him. (So have I!) :supergrin:

4. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Pretty boy. Cats choose you not the other way around.

Dogs have masters, cats have servants! ;) :thumbsup:

5. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

I call mine Patrol Cat...she patrols from window to window and growls and takes an aggressive stance at the front door when she sees something out there she doesn't like...strangers included. She watches out over the driveway like a little sentry and takes a position behind my feet when my back is turned from the room. It's the most curious thing.

6. sparky1

sparky1

L.B. is a L.B.:animlol: Handsome guy. Rescue kittys make the best pets. Just ask my Duchess! She lived under a dumpster for her first six months [​IMG][/IMG]