close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Our Litigious Society

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TBO, Mar 15, 2010.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    From Chuck Shepard's News of the weird.

Our Litigious Society

Craig Show, 49, filed a lawsuit in January against the Idaho State Police and the Bonner County Sheriff's Office, demanding compensation following his DUI arrest in August.
    Show said the cops had seized a "medicine bag" on his motorcycle and, in opening it for inspection, permitted the "mystical powers" inside to escape.
    The bag was blessed by a "medicine woman" in 1995 and, Show said, had been unopened since then.
    [UPI, 2-1-10]

Sabrina Medina filed a lawsuit against the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort in Hawaii in January, claiming that an employee had caused her husband's death.
    The late Humberto Murillo had swiped two 12-packs of beer from a store at the resort, but the manager pursued and confronted him.
    Murillo started punching, and bystanders came to the manager's aid, restrained Murillo and held him down.
    Murillo, who was bipolar and had marijuana in his system, passed out and asphyxiated.
    [Honolulu Advertiser, 1-16-10, 12-20-09]

Clumsy: Teacher Karen Hollander filed a lawsuit in November against the New York City Department of Education after taking a fall on "slippery foreign substances," including condoms, on the floor at the High School of Art & Design.
    Since schools distribute condoms on campus, she said, the department is responsible when students open them and discard them during the lunch period, littering the floor.
    [New York Daily News, 11-21-09]

Anthony Avery, 72, a retired insurance underwriter, filed a lawsuit in December against the exclusive Rye Golf Club in East Sussex County, England, for lingering injuries caused when he slipped on the wet floor of the club's shower room.
    The floor, he said, was "too" slippery.
    [Daily Mail, 12-14-09]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I dearly love Chuck's News of the weird, never fails to deliver a chuckle when needed. :cool:

2. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Sol Rosenberg says- "Sue everybody".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010

3. bfg1971

bfg1971

I'm not sure the fourth case belongs. Shower room floors are typically covered with soap residue and water so a prudent person installs non-skid strips because they reasonably conclude the floor will become slippery. If they had it and the plantiff still fell then maybe the case would be wierd, but if they didn't then he might have a case for negligence contributing to an injury.

The first three were funny.

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I drove my Prius too fast, alleged I couldn't stop and now I'm gonna sue Toyota for a bagillion dollars for the emotional trauma of driving too fast. :rofl:

5. Bruce H

Bruce H

If Craig Snow's medicine bag had mystical powers he wouldn't have been arrested for DUI. Sue the medicine man.

If all of them win, tax their returns at 300%.

6. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I was talking about this just yesterday.

Since about 1967 I've had a shooting range on my ground.
    [​IMG]

In years past I'd allow about anyone to shoot there.
    But since much/most of the American prople have become money grabbing sue crazy turds, land owners like myself can only allow trusted friends to come on our property.

That's a shame. With places to shoot being so hard to find I can't allow people to shoot here.:upeyes:

7. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

"Loser pays" tort systems are the way to stop the frivilous lawsuits. I'll never understand why we won't implement such a system.

8. community

community Member

the Amerian way: anyone can sue anybody for anything. I hate lawyers.

9. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I'm sure they're in the new "health care bill" right?

10. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I hear what you're saying, but........................whose fault is it really? The lawyers, or those of us who believe a lawsuit is our golden ticket to undeserved "riches"?

11. jlprtr

jlprtr CLM

:perfect10: