close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Our Disposable Lifestyle

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by glockdoc21, Nov 27, 2012.

1. glockdoc21

glockdoc21

Two things got me thinking last week...the first one was the obvious debacle that was black Friday, the second was cleaning and conditioning my Danner boots. I used some saddle soap and leather honey (no affiliation, just love the stuff) on some WELL worn Danners, and they came back to life. They look brand freaking new. They are the most expensive shoes that I own, but the quality that they exude and the ability to work them hard and then clean them right up got me thinking about the other low-quality dispostable crap that fills my home. What if instead of 6 junky coats we all just had one NICE coat, or one or two NICE pairs of shoes. Our grandparents knew this (I'm 29) but our parents had rather have closets full of crap than nice stuff. I was raised in the throw away generation. I can't help but think about 1911s and how some of the originals are still combat worthy, or how some of my nice tools could be handed down to my grandkids if I do my part. What other things have you gotten rid of and replaced w/ a nicer, but more permanent version? It used to be about needing an item, now it's about the thrill of buying something...

2. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I got T-shirts older than my kids.

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Funny you mention Danners. I have a pair I polish nearly every other time I put them on. They are ~11 years old, and still look great.

Not to get OT here, but does Danner re-sole shoes if you send them back to them? Mine are gettin' kinda flat.

4. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

I've got a pre-revolutionary war trade axe that's been in my family for generations.

We only replaced the handle twice and the head once.

:uglylol:

5. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

The buy once cry once mentality is gone. The average person lives so far beyond their means that they really can't afford quality. Combined with the mentality of having to have something right now, people buy junk instead of saving for products that last.

6. Restless28

Restless28

Ditto.

I have old FD tees from the 90s, lol.

7. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I think most people buy new stuff just to get new stuff. Very little to do with need.

That said:
    I ruin my clothes doing various kinds of work, so:

I buy T shirts and sweat shirts at the recycling (thrift) stores. Around $2/$4 ea. and my jeans at $20 each from the farm store. I don't try to impress anyone.

8. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

this has been kind of a policy with me and my best friend. we usually have rather empty pockets. so when we get/need something. we do some research on what would work best, and last longest, and get that. cant afford to buy two pieces of junk when we could just buy one good item.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  9. NMG26

NMG26

I get attatched to my stuff. I have had wallets that were duct taped together for so long that my wife never thought I would replace it. The wallet I am using now is duct taped. Guess that is because I buy cheap wallets.

10. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I'm wearing a $5 Goodwill sweatshirt. My underwear is new, though...

11. nmstew

nmstew

Totally with you. I used to buy the cheap stuff, so I could afford more stuff. Now I buy quality and expect it to last.

I bought a Cuisinart 9 piece stainless steel cookset and have used it for about 5 years. It still looks great, cooks great, has been used and abused, and shows no signs of stopping. I also sprang for a nice chef's knife that with the occasional honing, I expect to last longer than I do.

12. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I got a wallet the kids made as a camp project ...

100% duct tape ... :supergrin:

13. Harper

Harper

It's not an exact science but the average person should be able to make an educated guess as to the cost to benefit ratio of various items they are considering purchasing. For instance, you could go to sears and buy a $120 weed eater that will last about two years(I know I sold them) or you can spend about twice that and get a brand that will last over ten years. It always struck my as odd that customers would get upset their lawn equipment only lasted a short time when they bought roughly the cheapest thing they could.

Sometimes disposable is more cost effective. I have a cheap printer(it does everything I need), last time I needed ink I found out a new printer (including ink) was cheaper than the ink it took, so I bought a new printer. The old one was getting a bit finicky anyway.

So if there's a tenet to follow, it should be to assess the situation and make an objective decision.

14. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

That kind of critical thinking is very rare today.

15. Z71bill

Z71bill

I can see both sides of quality VS cheap crap - I buy both - it depends --

I will say this - you buy something like a refrigerator, washer, dryer, lawnmower - whatever --

If after a few years it develops a problem - even a minor one - you call a service person out to fix it and the repair will be 50%+ the cost of buying a new one.

I don't think it matters if you get the $500 or the $1,000 dishwasher - they will both have the same door lock - and it will be cheap plastic crap.

Back in the olden days the average salary was $1,000 a month and a washing machine cost $500 - and it cost you $50 for a service call - so if it was 3 years old and it broke you got it fixed.

Now the average salary is $3,000 a month and a cheap washing machine costs $400 and it will cost you $275 to have someone come out and repair it. So you buy a new one.

16. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

Many things simply aren't build to last anymore, almost regardless of how much you spend or how much you care for them. Microelectronics are in so much of everything that when it fails, the cost to repair it is more than the item is worth. Home theater equipment and personal electronics are well in this category. Computers and modern household appliances can find themselves there as well.

17. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

My reasoning exactly.

My family is getting full up on my old printers for free if they just buy the ink.

My target price is $70/$80, or just cheaper than ink. I refill cartridges until the originals are shot. Then out it goes.

18. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Only because you don't wear any.:eric:

19. Sveke

Sveke

I agree, the majority of stuff I buy is top quality and expensive.....but cheap and disposable certainly have their place.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

20. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Thing is, even quality stuff is not worth fixing. I broke a switch on a $100 battery charger/booster. I took it apart, found part number, source. IIRC they wanted $45 and $15 (postage/handling) So instead I bought a $40 replacement. (that weighs half as much) It went dead the other day. BUT I had a 2nd I got free from relative. So pay $150+ for quality or $50 for disposible.