Our cat has diarrhea

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by UtahIrishman, Sep 23, 2007.

1. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

Hello,

Our cat Mr. Mittens has had diarrhea for several days now. He seem to be getting a bit better today, but he's been getting diarrhea off and on for some time now. He'll have it for a few days and then he's back to normal.

Mr. Mittens is an imp and is constantly getting into everything that's edible, so it's hard to control what he eats and I suspect that's at least part of the problem. I've looked online for home remedies and there so many different ones I'm reluctant to try any of them.

I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow but in the mean time any suggestions on what can be done for him? There's no blood in his stool and he's not vomiting and his temperature is fine. In fact he seems perfectly normal except for the runs.

Any suggestions appreciated...thanks :)

2. ArodJohns

ArodJohns

I've had this problem with dogs. As long as your kittie's not vomiting, poo'ing out blood or that sort of thing just keep him watered and he should be ok until you get him to the vet in the next couple days.

Is he getting into milk anywhere? Alot of cats get the screaming squirts from milk.

3. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

No milk. But if anything is dropped he's always there to clean it up. We left the spoon for the spaghetti sauce out and he got to that a couple days ago. He just seems more out of it this time than he has when this has happened before.

I just checked on him again a few minutes ago and he's doing ok. Still I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow.

4. ArodJohns

ArodJohns

Oh yeah, "don't not" take him to the vet. Diarrhea is a sign that something's wrong.

5. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Yes, diarrhea can kill a cat. One of my cats got it and the vet told me that if we didn't get it under control that he could die. It turns out that the food he was on caused the problem.

The vet recommended feeding him plain yogurt for a week. The culture helps the stomach heal. You might want to switch to an easy food like Tender Vittles in the pouch and see how he does. The main thing is watch for dehydration.

Definitely get him to the vet as quickly as you can because it can be serious.

Yogurt for a week and changing food from Purina Cat Chow to Tender Vittles fixed my kitty up so maybe something similar will help yours. Anyway good luck !

6. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

Thanks for the replies. Just thought I'd let you know that he is doing much better now. I was really getting worried there for a while. Today I had to wrestle with him to get the medicine the vet gave me into him. A good sign :)

We've cut out, at least for now, the little extra goodies I occasionally gave him, especially cheese which he loves. I take him to the vet tomorrow for a follow-up visit. I'll ask her about the yogurt then.

Back to his old cantankerous self. :)