close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Our baby took his first steps. (Pics)

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by GioaJack, Feb 8, 2010.

1. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

As every parent has experienced, the day the baby takes his first steps is filled with mixed emotions.

As parents we are filled with pride that the little one has finally embarked on the journey of self-reliance and independence, but equally remorseful in that we knew the day would come but are not emotionally equipped to admit that as mentors we are no longer needed as much as we once were.

It is with both joy and sadness I must announce to our family of GT loaders that our baby, Little Stevie, (C4W), has taken his first steps into the wondrous world of casting.

Oblivious, and/or uncaring of the blizzard conditions Little Stevie made the treacherous journey to my abode, conveniently located almost two miles closer to heaven than you sea level dwellers. Standing on the deck at the back door I was more than a bit perplexed to see our comrade sucking oxygen through a plastic tube with three extra oxygen bottles under his left arm... although the blue tinge on his face added a festive atmosphere to the falling snow.

Expecting to see some type of luggage for his anticipated overnight stay I was instead surprised when he drug in a complete level 4 contamination Haz-Mat suit. Before I could query about his strange burden he explained that it was for warding off the toxic, and most assuredly fatal fumes from melting led. I had to brace myself against the wall to keep from falling as flashbacks of ex-wives permeated my mind.

I had looked forward to conversing with Little Stevie during various breaks in the Super Bowl but that was plan was quickly quashed when I was informed that we would not be wasting our time with sporting events but rather improving our minds and social stature by watching a Life Time special entitles Mikhail Baryshnikov's greatest ballet performances. (While he was inthralled with a scantily clad leaping man on the television I spent my time looking for a gas pipe to suck on... oh, who won the Super Bowl?)

The sun rose around 6:30... Little Stevie rose around 11. After his breakfast of strained prunes and carrot juice, coffee and cigarettes for me, we adjourned to to loading room.

Little Stevie had been thoughtful enough to bring his own bucket of WW's. If he hadn't the only thing he would have seen melting would have been snow. He also brought his recently purchased Lee 6 cavity mould for little sissy 9mm caliber bullets.

Having never used an aluminum mould before I sent urgent PM's to bob2223 requesting guidance as to the proper method of breaking in and seasoning the new mould. Bob replied post haste with detailed instructions on his ideas of achieving desired results. We followed his instructions to the letter.

Little Stevie was less than pleased when we had to call Midway, purchase a new mould to replace the one that was totally destroyed due to bob2223's instructions. The fact that he had to hire a charter jet to fly the mould to Colorado did not improve his attitude. (I had to explain to him that we couldn't afford to lose a day of tutoring due to my shorter than normal life expectancy.)

With numerous fire extinguishers strategically placed around the room we fired up the furnace and commenced to melt some lead.

This is the first photo of Little Stevie actually engaged in the evil activity of casting bullets. Please note that he is not engulfed in flames nor is he passing out from noxious fumes. (I think I'm going to have this picture bronzed and hang it from my rearview mirror.)
    [​IMG]

Here's our little boy dropping sprue into molten lead and trying to cause the most splatter possible. (The new curtains should be here on Friday)
    [​IMG]

After the first 40 minutes or so this is the pile of bullets he had produced. More than pleased with himself and developing a head of gigantic proportions I was compelled to inform him that the impressive production was the result of superior coaching... not his robotic mindless repetitions. (Raising a child takes a firm hand and authoritative demeanor.)
    [​IMG]

You guessed it, the adventures of Little Stevie is continued on the next post.

2. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

OooooOOOooo! OOoooooOOOOooo! Can I be next?

[​IMG]

3. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

While taking one of the many breaks that our little prodigy demanded, (I didn't need them since as many of you know, I have the stamina of a bull), Little Stevie spent some time studying, playing with and ultimately becoming completely enthralled with the Rolls Royce of loading presses... my LNL's.

Overcome with emotion from being allowed to stand in the shadow of such superior machines he reached to brace himself and grabbed the handle of my Dillon 550B. After catching his breath he instinctively pulled the handle through a full cycle. He paused, did it again, paused again, scratched his *** the repeatedly pulled the handle. Starting to think that there may be something to the toxic fumes rumor I was about to inquire what he was doing when he proclaimed... 'this thing isn't working right'.

Sensing the beginning of some sinister plot to make me feel bad I decided none the less to play along. "What'da ya mean it doesn't work right, I load on it all the time... and stop kicking my dog."

It's rough, way to rough, should run smooth... like a hot knife through butter." Instantly I was wary... had he ever really run a hot knife through butter?

"When's the last time you lubed this thing?"

"Well, if I remember correctly the last time would have been... ah... never."

"Never?"

"Yea, like in I'm never gettin married again... that kind of never."

"How long have you had it?"

"I don't know, 18 years, maybe longer... why, is there a problem?" I shall not offend the members of this forum by repeating the language that spewed from the mouth of our Little Stevie.

"Don't worry... I can fix it... I have to take the whole machine apart."

It goes without saying that a lesser man than myself would have been worried at hearing this statement but nay, I say, I was not worried... I looked at as an excuse to have to buy yet another Hornady LNL. (I can find the silver lining in a septic tank.)

Our little Stevie gathered up tools and set to work. Here he is just prior to the first unfortunate incident.
    [​IMG]

18 or 19 hours later, I lost track having passed out from diabetic coma, he put the finishing touches on the reassembly.
    [​IMG]

You should all be proud of our Little Stevie... he really, really knows his way around a Dillon 550B. He tore the whole thing down to it's skivvies, greased all the parts that suspects unknown had ignored for lo these many years and adjusted everything to a condition that is now better than new. When he was done I had but one question... "Ah, Steve... oh Steve... are there supposed to be this many parts left over?"
    [​IMG]

With our rather lengthly interruption concluded we decided to cast some bullets from one of my Lyman iron moulds, (a manly implement that only the most highly skilled are qualified to use don't ya know.) Since our little boy had purchased a mould that required some type of rinky dink lubing by shaking the bullets in a bag, much akin to applying powdered sugar to dainty pastries, I instructed our student in the fine art of using a Star sizer. Quite an argument ensued when I had to inform our boy that were were not going to melt all the bullets from his Lee mould and re-cast them in my mould so he could spend more time using the Star. Here he is, completely oblivious to all that is wrong with the world.
    [​IMG]

Should any of you ever have the opportunity to spend some time with our boy... do it. I learned more from him than he could ever possibly learn from me, had one hell of a good time, (except from him constantly kicking my dog, and most importantly of all... made a new friend. It was a good time.

Jack

4. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

I have to second the motion that hanging out with Steve is pretty darn cool. I'm guessing he likes me better than you though... I've hung out with him twice as much as you. :tongueout::supergrin:

Thanks for taking me shootin' Steve!!!

5. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

6. Bobshouse

Bobshouse

Did he "flux" his pot at all during this process? I only cast outdoors because the smoke and flame from "fluxing" can cause serious problems if your in a structure that can catch fire.

7. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Sounds to me like y'all were having a bit too much fun...

Congrats C4W and to you too, Jack. Casting might be too much of a headache around south Florida - WWs are too hard to find and buying lead ingots really wouldn't save one very much over buying bulk cast.

8. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

Sounds like a great time!
    No fire or serious burns.
    I sure woulda enjoyed being there, except for the Super Bowl thing :upeyes:.
    Great write up and pics Jack.
    Thanks for posting it!

Steve! :thumbsup:

Bob

9. aerod1

aerod1 NRA Life Member

That's hilarious!! What were you drinking?

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

First off, a great big THANKS to Jack. Not only for the last couple days worth of help but also for the months of not so gentle kicking to actually get me started. I learned a ton, got to use a lot of equipment that I have never even seen before and even broke something. I learned more in that day then I even knew I needed to know. In other words, I didn't even know enough to know I needed to know that. Now thats clear isn't it? Not only did he explain how to do it but WHY you do it. Thats the kind of thing I like. I learned about Fluxing and how to do it while "smelting". Lubing, sizing, using the equipment, you name it, I don't feel like a total noob any longer. I really enjoyed myself. I got to meet his son-in-law and his two grand kids. The grand kids greeted me again as I was leaving, chaffing at the bit to go back in to see Grandpa. A great time was had by one and all, even the Dawg. I even got another little toy to play with later. But first I have to get back to work. I will post up pictures of my "score" later. Jack was more then generous.

Thanks again Jack.

It was a great time.

11. RustyFN

RustyFN

Jack I thought you said those flat landers couldn't make it into the mountains? :tongueout: Steve what was your impression of the LNL, did you load any with it?

12. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Thoughts:

1) We did all of this hand holding online so he wouldn't need to actually have you hold his hand while he did it. It defeats the purpose of all the posts on how to cast that were posted for C4W benefit. I hearby move that all such posts be rededicated to the benefit of other non-casters.

2) What's the over/under on how long it takes Jack to get qa Lee 6 cavity mold? Daily double for TL. BTW Jack, you can TL non-TL bullets, it works great.

3) Does C4W know that he's using the chrome valve covers from his V4 Saab for a sprew catcher?

13. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Those LnL's are very nice. The 550 and LnL are very different. I like parts of each better then the other. I would buy one but at this point there is no point. FOR ME I don't like loading the bullet and the case from the left. FOR GIO it's one of the presses biggest benifits. It's a very large shellplate. Thats very nice. I never got the point of autoindexing on a press with out a casefeeder. I still feel the same.

14. n2extrm

n2extrm

Jack

That was great! You allways get me rolling.

Sounds like a good time was had and something was learned by all.

Finaly proof that there is a good press in jacks reloading room. Glad Steve greased it for you jack.:whistling:

15. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

There may not be as many women going in and out of this place but even with that depressing fact I can assure you I didn't hold his hand.

I must admit that Steve and I discussed the six cavity, (it's very light) but we both pretty much figured out it may not be the best design for me. Because of my pesky little lack of bone problem I don't have the strength to open the sprue plate. (Yes, I know, I'm a wimp. We all have our burden to shoulder. Oops, can't do that either... they'll break.)

Little Stevie mastered that mould before I could finish my first cigarette and ended up with a huge pile of first rate bullets. He certainly won't need anymore 'hand holding'

Oh, Wisky... don't bet too much money on that TL thing. I'd hate to see you in the bread line. I'm kinda like Charlton Heston... they can pry my Star out of my cold dead hand. (I'll do anything to keep my son-in-law from getting it. :supergrin:

Jack

16. johnjohn

johnjohn

Little Stevie sure has some nice toys.

17. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

That there is Gio's room. I am waiting to get something back from my machinist to post some pictures of my new setup.

18. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jack, I wonder if you could put a piece of PVC pipe on the sprewcutter handle to extend it? Kind of like you would with a steel pipe on a ratchet wrench except lighter. I always do that with 3/8" ratchets because 1/2" stuff is a PITA to lug around. When all three of my ratchets get broken, I go to Sears for free replacement.

19. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

You're just coming up with a workable solution so you can get me to buy a mould and you can win a bet. Sneaky bastard. :whistling:

Actually that would work very well... who was it that said, 'give me a lever and I'll move the world'.

Little Stevie and I compared the production between the 6 cavity and the 4 cavity and although the 6 is faster it wasn't dramatic. Since finding time to cast isn't an issue for me speed is irrelevant and my nifty contorted body position negates the weight of the iron moulds.

Although I really do appreciate the suggestion even if in a moment of weakness I bought a mould and used your system you don't really think I'd tell ya... ain't no way I'm gonna let you win a bet. :supergrin:

Jack

20. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Yeah, a four cavity Lyman is a nice mold. I don't have one but I've heard they get heavy. If you have the weight issue settled, you're in a good place.