Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm a birder (formerly bird watcher) and I consider myself a conservationist for the most part, but I'm tired of hearing about how lead is hurting the critters and the planet. I'm also a fisherman, and if Loons (or Condors or any other critter for that matter) are dumb enough to eat lead shot (from shot shells or split shot), well then, I personally can live without them. Last time I checked, we humans are the top of the food chain and everything else is a distant second. When humans start eating lead, it then will be our turn to run ourselves extinct.
Sorry if that sounds harsh, I've never been too fond of the "green" agenda and tree hugging. I don't pollute (read, don't through garbage around), and I do recycle. That's enough for anyone and everyone.

·
NRA Life Member
6,435 Posts
Don't wind farms kill far more birds each year?
Not only wind farms but aircraft probably kill even more, never mind the peril to travelers.

Between 2000 and 2009, 82,000 wildlife strikes were reported across US airports with Sacramento International reporting 28 strikes that substantially damaged aircraft.

The Wiki page on bird strikes shows a picture of a hawk that got lodged in the nose cone of a C-130.

If they're going to ban things to protect birds, they need to ban air travel, then they can get to lead after that. :whistling:

·
Registered
875 Posts
It's only 'Pseudo science' because it's not what you want to hear. Gut piles with lead are the problem and it is easily solved with solid copper bullets.

http://watch.opb.org/video/2302231466/
Do I smell a Liberal here????
Didn't you vote for the current "Criminal" in chief?

Oh, "global warming" is garbage too...just so you know.

·
Registered
14,369 Posts
It's only 'Pseudo science' because it's not what you want to hear. Gut piles with lead are the problem and it is easily solved with solid copper bullets.

http://watch.opb.org/video/2302231466/
Your view, not mine. I think the risks of lead are greatly overstated. If you disagree, fine but my view has validity.

Forcing solid copper slugs on the entire shooting public would make it somewhat a rich man's sport, simply not a valid solution to any reasonable problem Don

·
Registered
14,369 Posts
Do I smell a Liberal here????
Didn't you vote for the current "Criminal" in chief?

Oh, "global warming" is garbage too...just so you know.
I'm not one of the conspiracy theorists but even some of the global warming advocates are now admitting that bad science and cooked statistics have greatly overstated the issue of "global warming." Don

·
Registered
14,369 Posts
Are you basing your opinion of facts and research or your 'feelings'??
If you're asking if I did a massive research effort, the answer is no. I have read a number of articles that speak to my views.

I did have a blood/lead level test run a while back. Over 50 years of shooting, one would think that I ought to have an elevated level and I didn't.

Use good shop practice when reloading, wash your hands after handling lead and I doubt that anyone will have any issues.

Perhaps you can refer me to an unbiased, scientific document that challenges what I say. Don't tell me the EPA, they're just a liberal, politically correct mouthpiece for this dirtbag administration as are many of the bureaucrats running state fish & game agencies.

Sierra Club?? Environmental Defense Fund?? Might as well be talking to the Brady Group about "reasonable" gun restrictions.

And of course, any gun/ammo legislation coming from CA has to be viewed with skepticism, their agenda is always clear, ban guns or so severely restrict their use that people give up on them. Don

·
Banned
25,490 Posts
I did have a blood/lead level test run a while back. Over 50 years of shooting, one would think that I ought to have an elevated level and I didn't.

And of course, any gun/ammo legislation coming from CA has to be viewed with skepticism, their agenda is always clear, ban guns or so severely restrict their use that people give up on them. Don

What does this issue have to do with your blood lead levels?

Dude, facts not Fox. California has the highest amount of gun sales in the country. Do you even know about the lead reactions in certain raptors and scavengers??

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm not one of the conspiracy theorists but even some of the global warming advocates are now admitting that bad science and cooked statistics have greatly overstated the issue of "global warming." Don
Oh, I'm in agreement with you.
I thought that when I wrote that, it might look a little sarcastic.
I've always known the global warming was and still is BS!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
So California wants to ban lead ammo because ONE Condor was found dead with lead in it's belly? And they don't even know if lead poisoning was the cause of death?

Sounds about right.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Do you even know about the lead reactions in certain raptors and scavengers??
I wonder how they would fare after ingesting copper? Maybe theyd be fine, but i remember hearing about an Iguana that ingested some pennies and got sick.

Ever hear of copper poisoning?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_toxicity

If copper is toxic to ingest, then why ban lead?

It would just drive up copper prices for everyone if CA banned lead, cost Californians more to shoot, and still poison the birds.

·
Registered
14,369 Posts
What does this issue have to do with your blood lead levels?

Dude, facts not Fox. California has the highest amount of gun sales in the country. Do you even know about the lead reactions in certain raptors and scavengers??
Yeah, DUDE, if lead is so nasty, vaporized lead from the base of a fired slug is airborne and is likely to be inhaled by the shooter, thus elevating lead levels in the blood, that's a simple outcome.

CA has some of the highest levels of gun sales??? So what, it's also one of the states with the most restrictive rules, right there with NY, NJ, MD and IL, not a good crowd to be in. Sacramento would make things much worse if given the chance. Don

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
So California wants to ban lead ammo because ONE Condor was found dead with lead in it's belly? And they don't even know if lead poisoning was the cause of death?

Sounds about right.
Allow me to place you in the mind of a liberal.

The correct number of condor deaths is 0, so lead ammunition needs to be banned.

The correct number of automobile accident deaths is 0, so automobiles need to be banned.

·
The eBay Guy
23,321 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.