close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Our 12 year old Retriever has diabetes

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Lock316, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Lock316

Lock316

Anyone have any tips that worked for you? We just heard the news today and the vet said that at her age it might not be so good to try to treat it. He wanted to talk to us about the options, but he left the office and won't be back until Thursday.

It is killing my wife. She has had Brittany since Britt was a puppy. Since the vet is out of the office she has been researching canine diabetes online and making herself depressed.

A few prayers would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

2. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Lock.....

There is a wealth of info out there on dog and diabetes. When my little siamese died 2 months ago of a genetic heart condition no one knew he had called "Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy" I did a seach on Yahoo (I hate Google, it is just junk that it brings up) and a TOPN of stuff came up on cats with this heart problem.

Listen, your dog is gonna be ok. Yes, it sounds like you guys are gonna have to give her insulin shots and probably some special food.

My grandpa's "doxie" (weiner dog) had diabetes because she was heavy and a mooch and begger for table scraps so she got fat. My mom had to feed the dog some special canned Science Diet food and she got and insulin injection each morning under the skin in her neck (Sub-Q). No pain for her. Mom said it was a pain though because you had to really watch what she ate and she was not allowed table scraps anymore.

I just did a search on Yahoo for "diabetes in dogs".......have a look:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=diabetes+in+dogs&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-web-t&cop=mss&tab=

PLEASE let us know what the doc says. You said he wil be back in the office today......keep us informed........

3. Lock316

Lock316

Ok, talked to the vet today. The message that we got on Tuesday painted a picture that was a little more grim than he intended.

She does have diabetes, but it is very treatable. We caught it pretty early since we know our dog's habits so well. At her age and because of her breed, she has joint problems. 2 weeks ago she stopped going upstairs and had problems standing. We were told months ago that this might happen, so it didn't concern us that much. It sucked to see here like that, but we had been warned.

A day or two after that, we noticed that she panted more, including when she was just lying around. We also noticed that she was urinating more often and was drinking more water. We waited a few days just to see if it was a temporary thing. We knew that the signs pointed to diabetes, but we wanted to make sure that it was something more than a illness. This went on for a few days, so we took her in to the vet for blood work and x-rays on the hip.

After further review, the vet decided that we should take her to him on Sep 30 and he will keep her for a few days while they figure out the correct insulin dosage.

That's it! Because we caught it so early, it should have little effect on her overall health and we still should have her for a few more years. Once we get her treatment started her hip should begin to repair itself, so she should be sleeping at the foot of the bed in no time.

Thanks for the concern Peach Girl!