Otis cleaning systems any good?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by CBennett, May 30, 2013.

1. oldsoldier

oldsoldier

I have the military version and would rate the system just okay. I've had it for years and maybe I've used it three times. It stays in my range bag just in case it's needed for a quick wipe of the bore. I prefer a rod at all other times. My opinion doesn't mean much since I'm old and set in my ways. :supergrin:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  2. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg

Definitely not a replacement for a regular kit with rods, but a good field solution.

3. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Picked up two of these in the multi-caliber, whoop-tee-doo tactical set-ups.

They're great when going hunting and can toss it into the backpack.

(Midway USA had 'em on sale for $30.99 a couple of years ago.)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  4. boomhower

boomhower

I love mine. I got one of the very high dollar ones with the multi tool for around $60 on ebay. Very good investment.

5. Mudshark100

Mudshark100

I had an interest in the Otis system but was reluctant to pay full price without checking it out first. I picked up a military issue kit at a flee market last fall for $25. Purchased new brushes and patches for my AR and 9MM. I really like it and use the Otis system almost exclusively. By the way, Midway USA periodically has very good deals on Otis bore brushes and other supplies.

6. carloglock19

carloglock19

I have a couple of issued kits that I've been using for while now mainly with my AR. I like them they work just fine and are easy to throw in a range bag if needed. I've seen some of the mil issue ones on eBay for cheap, maybe try one of them out first.

7. redrick

redrick

I have heard of people getting it stuck in their barrels. If you do not pinch the patch in the right spot it can be very tight.

8. Dave.1

Dave.1

I've been thinking about getting something like this, but from what I'm hearing, they aren't going to replace my regular cleaning rods and brushes.

If that's the case, I'll probably continue to just throw a couple of Bore Snakes in my bag and call it good.

Dave

9. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg

Neither the otis kit nor boresnakes will replace proper cleaning equipment. Both the otis kit and boresnakes are good for dusting, or where you can't bring the necessary gear to actually clean.

10. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

The only difference between an Otis kit and a traditional kit is a stiff rod that is pushed through from chamber to muzzle (and then reversed) vs. a cable that pulls the exact same brushes and swabs from chamber to muzzle in one direction.

I don't see why the transport device (rod vs cable) would make any difference in cleaning efficacy. The brushes and swabs are the same. The solvents / oils are the same. The amount of lateral cleaning forces are the same.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  11. CBennett

CBennett

I think I will get one. Right now its on hold though because I was going to order it last Saturday from Bass Pro when of all things...I actually found...wait for it....

A BRICK OF .22LR AMMO!!!!!!!!! and 1 each pack of .22WMR in CCI TNT and Maxi Mag+V

So now ive got "fun/plinking" ammo and something to go knock off the woodchucks with!

I could not pass it up so thats where the Birthday $ went..still got the gift certificate for bass pro though so when I gather up another $30 :) I will grab one. I appreciate all the info and you have convinced me for stuff that cant be cleaned straight through from end to end that this kit is the way to go.

I dont think for things like more heavy duty fouling from copper or lead where you may have to run a lit of brushes and or patches down the barrel it will replace a brush...BUT for just a general post shooting session(I seldom shoot more than 100 handgun rounds or 200 .22LR rounds a session and with the M1 Garand I try to limit it to 50 rounds or less to try to stretch my supply till I can get more ammo. with the AK74 since I use corrosive surplus i make sure to clean that real good but again till I can regularly get ammo again(got a sealed tin this last Jan so im good for a bit) I seldom run more than 2-3 mags through it so 90 rounds.

But I think for the type of shooting I do that one would do well.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  12. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

This. An actual cleaning with the Otis kit takes much longer than using a standard kit with a rod. But good for a touching.

13. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

The Otis kit is proper cleaning equipment, and does everything that you can do with a rod. Their brushes are superior to most other brash brushes on the market. The big difference with the Otis is that it takes up far less room and is easier to handle, and has less chance of damaging a bore.

14. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

Wow.....I had no idea people still used rods & brushes.

I moved to Boresnakes years ago....figured I was behind the times then.

15. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg

If all I wanted to do was dust, boresnake would be all that I used. I think they're great for in-between cleanings.

16. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I agree.

I find the cable/brush very useful for cleaning moly out of pistol barrels and the cable/patch convenient for my AR's.

17. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

It doesn't do everything a rod does. You cannot use a bore abrasive like JB bore paste on a patch with it and use it to scrub the bore. It doesn't have the ability to be able to scour out lead residue either. In addition a good rod saves time compared to the otis, and you will get a better patch fit while using jags. You cannot use jags with the otis kit.

18. PVolk

PVolk

I just recently picked up an Otis Elite cleaning kit for my step-father for father's day. I know he's wanted one for a while. I guess I'll check it out soon enough and decide whether to get myself one or not. :)

[​IMG]

19. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I'm not seeing it. I've used both. The cleaning efficacy is the same. Same brushes. Same swabs. Just different way of either pushing or pulling them through the bore.

In fact, if I'm doing it correctly (NOT reversing a brush back through the bore from muzzle to chamber), the Otis one-way cable system is FASTER in my hands. With rods, you have to unscrew the brush before withdrawing the rod. Then screw it on again. PITA, if you ask me. YMMV.

I've used both. I prefer the cable.

20. Thomasc18

Thomasc18 NRA Life Member

I can't complain. I got my the other week and used it twice on my ARs I pair it with frog lube which seems to be working great