close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Other competitions...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by table, Aug 12, 2011.

1. table

table

so i have shot at a GSSF event prior using my G26. i plan on purchasing a G17 in the next month for my comp/range gun. what other comps can i use a fairly stock G17 in? i am new to competition shooting and really enjoy GSSF but not always that many within driving distances. thanks.

2. gary newport

gary newport

You can use your G17 in IDPA (Standard Service Pistol) and USPSA (Production), to name a couple of popular action-shooting competitions.

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

NRA Action Pistol which is very similar to GSSF. you could use a G17 in all USPSA divisions except Single Stack and Revolver however you'd be at a disadvantage not making major PF in all but Production, IDPA SSP, Steel Challenge would also be a good match for a G17. With few exceptions a G17 will fit in any shooting competition.

4. table

table

looks like i'll have to do a lot of reading and researching. as i have mentioned in other posts, i plan on buying a 17 for range/comp shooting. there is only one GSSF shoot in my area and the other 2 listed are 4.5 and 7.5 hours away. so am not sure i can make those and 3 a year available doesn't seem like much if i can make all of them. so i wanted to see what else is near me through out the next year.

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Check out the schedules at outdoor ranges in your region. Some clubs have an event every weekend.

6. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

IDPA and USPSA are prevalent in lots of places. I shoot 2 USPSA and 1 IDPA a month, could shoot more if I wanted.

www.idpa.com
    www.uspsa.com

If you search around on there, they both have links where you can find places in your state that shoot the matches.

7. table

table

so i went on the IDPA site and looked around and saw 2 local clubs around me that host. it seems this is how most people participate, by shooting with local clubs in IDPA? how does the USPSA and NRA ones work? whats the best way for me to find out how to get into comps with USPSA and NRA around me with them other than calling them and asking? thanks.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  8. SARDG

SARDG

I don't shoot USPSA but shoot a few other disciplines; Bullseye, IDPA, Bowling Pins (discipline?? - hah), and Steel (not SCSA because our MD didn't want the work of sanctioning - but we follow 99% of the rules). And yes, that's the best way to get started with any competition - find a club close by and participate. Later, for the disciplines that have them, you can participate in Regional or State or National matches.

I can't really imagine any other way to begin than with your local clubs. Clubs that have sanctioned events will likely ask you to join the sanctioning body; IDPA, NRA, SCSA, etc. and you’ll absolutely need to do that to shoot the larger sanctioned matches (like the Postal Match in IDPA.)

The disciplines that include holster work on the clock will likely want to have you attend a practice or two to check you out and be certain that you're safe before entering a match and using a holster. I cannot imagine any club and their members, match directors, etc, who would not help you get started and give you some coaching. I actually began shooting Steel to get more holster practice for IDPA - and then discovered that I really liked it, so don't be afraid to try any disciplines that may be available to you.

When I wanted to shoot a discipline, I sought out the MD and spoke with them - then showed up at the next practice.

Lots of folks simply attend the matches, and never practice. After all, practice is like cheating... :) For a new competitive shooter, I would highly suggest attending a few practices. Indeed, you may not be allowed to shoot matches at all without doing that. Practices at my club are during the week, which doesn't work for many folks - but I'm retired and everyday is Saturday.

Did any of this help?

9. table

table

SARDG, i have heard of some of the other comps you shoot but wanted to start out getting info on the primary ones such as IDPA, USPSA and NRA. i probably should look into all the others just to know my options and be able to shoot in as many comps as are available to me. it seems to me the best way to find local shooting clubs is to look on the main sites and look thru them to find local clubs. which is how i found out about my 2 local IDPA clubs in the IDPA site.

like i've said i have only shot one comp and that was the GSSF one back in 2010. i plan on getting a 17 so i can compete in more comps. it seems the natural progression of any avid shooter is to start competing. punching paper is great fun but shooting several hundred rounds a month doing so can get repetitive and somewhat boring.

10. legacy38

legacy38 Millennium Member

There is a lot that you can do with a G17.

In my neck of the woods, there are many more IDPA and USPSA options to shoot than GSSF, and my state hosts three GSSF matches within two hours of my place.

11. SARDG

SARDG

Bullseye is sanctioned by the NRA but your club has to sponsor it. NRA has many qualification programs, but you have to find a club that sponsors the one's you like.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/marksmanship/bullseye_pistol.asp
    http://www.bullseyepistol.com/rulebook1.htm

Butch once said that Bullseye is some of the best practice one can get for GSSF. Maybe... but it's a little like watching paint dry after shooting IDPA.

I shoot the Bullseye matches when I can, and only the .22 rimfire part as I don't even own a 1911 (though one could use a Glock). I never practice Bullseye as it's the same practice-day as IDPA. I just show up, shoot the CoF with my MKIII, and leave.

EDIT: See if you can find Steel Challenge (SCSA) anywhere near you. That's fun.
    http://steelchallenge.com/