close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Other 650's

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by .45 Combat, Oct 19, 2006.

1. .45 Combat

.45 Combat

I've got a question for anyone, I've been asking about the KLR 650, and I've got back some good information. Now, where does the Honda 650 version of the KLR stand? And also, the suzuki 650 as well?

If the KlR 650 can be riden to Alaska, where do the other stand in coparison? Will the KLR's engine and suspention hold up any better than the rest? I've just got to ask, thanks for any information.

2. Canucksvt

Canucksvt

3. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

The DR650, XR650, and KLR650 are all dual sports. Some are more oriented toward the street, others are more oriented toward off-road. By comparing weight, suspension travel, and other technical data... you can see which more closely serves your purpose.

Here's how I generally regard the 650 dual sports.

ON ROAD <------1-----------------------2--------3--------> OFF ROAD

1. KLR650
    2. DR650
    3. XR650

You sacrifice on-road comfort for off-road ability. I can take an XR650 places that I'd never attempt to go on a KLR650. However, the XR650 will be les enjoyable on the street than the KLR650.

If it were me, personally, I only have eyes for the Honda dual sport 650 (even though I race a Kawasaki)... Even better would be a lighter 400cc like the DRZ.

4. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

BMW F650 GS.

I had a 2001 model, Amazing dual sport, but more oriented to the casual offroad rider.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

6. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

I haven't owned a G yet, but I loved my F bike. It's a UFO for the dirt ;) (I'm too short for a R12GS)

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I doubt that you're shorter than me. I'm 5'6" with legs that are shorter than proportions. I stand on the ball of one foot with the R1200GS (and the same for the KTM 950 ADV). But, hey, just try not to stop too often.:rofl:

8. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

one cannot ride a GS properly offroad if of too short a stature... The offroad course I took quickly showed me that.

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

One can do whatever one sets out to do...within reasons. I wanted to go off road with those adventure bikes and that's what I'll do. If a school can't teach me how to overcome the physical impairment then I'll find another school that can, or do it the hard way and learn on my own.

I figure if a paraplegic guy can ride a race bike and does quite well on it, then I ain't got no excuses.:banana:

10. klmmicro

klmmicro

I own an XR650 and I love it. It rides well in the dirt, but runs ont he street well enough too. I have put 400 miles on pavement behind me in a single day and could still walk when I was finished.

I have ridden my friends KLR and liked it on the street, but it is heavy and not as easy to handle in the dirt.

BMW's are fine if you want to fork over cash for a motard. For the price of the Beemer, why not just go Husqvarna. The Husqvarna TE610E is a dirt bike with a plate as far as the big bikes go. It has a great suspension and a lot of power...just don't break it! Parts.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Why not BMW if the bike is now a lot more dirt capable than before? You don't have to worry about dealer supports and parts. Huskies aren't cheap and they are even worse than Aprilia when it comes to find parts and service. BTW, I heard some rumors that Huskies are now built in Italy, is that true?

12. .45 Combat

.45 Combat

Thanks for the replies, I visited my BMW shop and filled out a credit app. and to the surprise of the shops wife I was approved for the lowest interest rates, which is called the elite.

As it turned out there was this emaculate KLR 650 outside the showroom the owner as it turns out was the salesman, and loves the bike, when asked if he would ride it Alaska, he would, because of the roads.

Now, my favorite bike is the 1200 GS, I was thinking if I could get a used one, I could keep the payments low. I stradled the GS, I was fine with it.

But, I gotta take the course first, and test ride the bikes. That 1200 GS is CALLING ME, I want the bike, and I do have some dirt bike experience, not alot though to be honest. I'm paying on KTM 450 MXC but I'm not riding it like I thought I would. I always wanted to adventure and take road trips. Traffic and taking care of my brother is keeping me from it.

I like the idea being able to ride after work, and taking long trips, is more appealing to me.

g

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If you really want a big adventure bike, PLEASE, PLEASE go check out the KTM 950 Adventure before buying the 1200GS.

I love BMW and I love the aircooled twins, but the GS ain't got nuthin' on the KaToom ADV. It's THAT good.

The GS will outperform the ADV in the tight twisties, but that's about it. Offroad, it's not even close and the ADV can be ridden spiritedly in the twisties too.

14. .45 Combat

.45 Combat

Ok, Ill look into it fnfalman. Although, I'm going into this a little slow and easy, I still like the KTM's, I just want to pay for a bike I can ride not just in the dirt. Thanks.

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The Katoom's on road manner is pretty darn good. At the limits in the twisties or on the track, it isn't there with the GS, but it will eat the GS alive in the dirt, and I took it out in a couple twisties a few times and it was enough fun to get the blood going.

You simply must ride it and the GS and make up your mind. It takes a lot for me to admit that a BMW isn't as competitive as something else, but this KTM is that bad ***.

16. yungie

yungie Member

+1, but if you have your mind det on a 650 how about the Husaberg?

[​IMG]