close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OT: what got you into shooting sports?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by theTactician, May 19, 2007.

1. theTactician

theTactician

who introduced you to this great competitive sport of shooting?
    as for me, i used to feel dreadful about guns. then one day, a friend of mine who owns a lot of guns decided to sell me his HK USP 9mm. At first i was hesitant coz i really didnt believe in guns before in whatever form or purpose. But then, my friend was insistent and told me that he needed money badly, he said that he would use it for his sick brother. So, to cut the long story short, i got persuaded and bought the HK USP 9mm. Lo and behold, he used the money not for his sick brother but to buy an m16a2 rifle which he needed to add for his collection.
    :)
    and then i tested in the range and at first i was kinda scared handling the gun, fearing it might backfire and blow up a hole in my head, things like that..hehe. but then when i got to use it, i became more drawn to it that i visited the range often, almost daily. it has the sense of power in it. My friend just reminded me though to keep it a secret specially to people i dont know for security reasons. simply stated, do not brag about it.:)
    I did and then, as time passed by i began to buy a long gun, an m16a2 rifle too, and eventually i ended up owning a Glock 23 mariner. i bought accessories and stuff and then i decided to join a competition in armscor which i began to enjoy.
    now, im looking forward to join IDPA shooting competitions just to improve my skills in handling the glock.
    loved shooting that pistol, every minute of it.:)

2. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

primarily because of my work, in a way to improve my gun skills. yet i fell in love with guns since my teenage years, i grew up with guns, my father was a cop too.

3. jimbullet

jimbullet

Liked guns since my teens. Saw competition shooting on TV and the rest was history

4. Pepe308

Pepe308 Noypi

One_eye_kirat and JRspeed! :thumbsup:

5. 3kings

3kings SalingPusa

me, i have a not so good experience. 10 yrs ago a drunk cop poked a gun on my head while pacifying an argument. good thing i had presence of mind. anyway after that horrible episode i was really traumatized. i said to myself in order for me to conquer this fear i have to know more about guns and the sport & defense

6. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

An old guy - a retired formerly very senior executive and government official, who is an ex-guerrilla soldier from World War II - took me with him once to a gun range.

This guy's mastery of the whole subject of firearms - his calm, scientific explanations - and also his unglorified but intrinsically interesting war stories, which showed that his 1911 had saved his life on several occasions - well, I got hooked on his 1911, and bought one. (I asked him if the 1911/.45acp's recoil bothered him - he said : in a battle , recoil is the last thing you worry about.)

He still shoots once in a while, although he uses a wheelchair most of the time for moving around now (but he stands when he shoots), and he's near 90.

Mentors help.

7. charlie-xray

charlie-xray Gunpowder Adik

As 3kings, had a not so good experience as well with a security guard who felt he was the boss of me.

A gun saved me from multiple bruises or worse during junior college years, against some AKRHO frat war-freak.

Protection of myself, my family & my property - bottomline.

8. gundog

gundog senior gunner

got bored with dog shows so i decided to try ipsc. didnt really know how addicting it could be. :thumbsup:

9. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

ngayon, camera ka naman addict! :supergrin:

10. asian_glockster

asian_glockster Hook Up!!!!!!!!

My father when I was 13 years old and ROTC...

11. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

I really loved firearms even when i was young. Influence came from movies, TV, relatives and friends.

Si Doc BI talaga yan kahit dati pa. Siya namilit sa amin to join our first ever pistol match (IDPA match in Armscor). :supergrin:

12. Allegra

Allegra

Was getting burned out and bored w/ something else
    Visited a range and saw ipsc shooters shooting steel ang bilis!
    So I bought myself a gun , watched lethal weapon 3 a few times, then joined my first match sa LAg Com and got a trophy! ( or was it a raffle prize, cant remember )
    3 years later , RP standard team!
    3 years and 1 week later , sold my gun and bought myself a mountain bike , got burned out and bored w/ shooting

13. kcboy

kcboy CHEEPUCK.COM

for me, 5 years ago, someone took a shot at me while i was driving, good thing had the presence of mind to avoid and drive away, from the time on, i decided to arm myself and be a responsible gun owner, the shooting at the ranges just followed.:)

14. Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze Notorious

My dad introduced me to shooting with airguns first, and then on to his trusty .45 pistol. His gunclub friends taught me too.

15. charlie-xray

charlie-xray Gunpowder Adik

Lucky you, you have a very cool dad.

16. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

My Dad introduced me to shooting at age 11. He loves guns and a gunfight winner against two carjackers one morning in 1984.

My first gun to shoot was a 4-inch .357 Mag S&W revolver.

17. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

shooting at stationary targets while standing still gets boring very fast. saw jethro mount an ipsc type match at his range and decided to try out competition shooting.

akala ko magaling na ako pumutok until i tried shooting fast and shooting at moving targets... while dozens of people watching you... and heckling and snickering at you... and the RO's start shouting, "Verify!"

very humblng experience... sobra ang adrenaline rush... sarap!

18. Cody Jarrett

Cody Jarrett

As I got into my early forties X-sports became harder. I don't heal quite so fast anymore. Shooting sports were a new high.

19. Pepe308

Pepe308 Noypi

I wish the ROs would whisper the word "verify" to me instead of shouting it. :embarassed:

20. ppts799

ppts799 Daisho

when it comes to IPSC, ang may kasalanan ay BOGS!!!!
    lalo na si ivan!

shortly after the first BOG get together, the first BOG funshoot took place at armscor.