close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OT: PNOC-EDC IPO is Great Success

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by antediluvianist, Dec 13, 2006.

1. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

OK, the stock of PNOC-EDC - the geothermal company - closed today - its first day of trading - at P4.55. The IPO (Initial Public Offering) price was just P3.20. That's a profit of 4.55 - 3.20 = 1.35 profit per share. 1.35/3.20 = 42% profit on your investment in one week (because you only had to pay for the subscribed shares last week.) And it may very well keep going up, since the foreigners regard this company well (the Philippines is #2 in the world after the U.S. in geothermal operations. We almost lead the world in this sort of thing, and we are adding more geothermal sites. )

We can only hope that the bull stockmarket this year continues throughout 2007, and then beyond.. It will, unless there is a coup, a major civil disturbance, the U.S. downturn is steeper than expected, or Iran/N.Korea/Iraq/something international explodes.

But many international mining companies are in the process of joining with local companies in this, the fifth most mineralized country in the world.

Too bad our politics suck.

2. isuzu

isuzu

Seem like the US is formulating an exit strategy in Iraq to tackle other problems, such as N. Korea and Iran.

3. Astra22

Astra22

I hope more investments like this come in the future. There is really no other alternative to park your idle funds. Bank rates are going down because of the tiering done by the BSP.

Though in stocks, we should always bear in mind that "High yield = high risk"

Hoping for more tips from Sir Ante.

4. brawnless

brawnless Junior Member

It closed at 4.55 yesterday. The biggest gainer for the day (+42%).
    It closed at 4.15 today. The second biggest loser for the day (-8.79%).

If you bought yesterday (at 4.55), then you have already lost almost 10% of your investment in 24 hours! What if it drops to 3.50 tomorrow? :supergrin: buy or sell? :supergrin:

That's the volatility of the stock market. +50 max and -40 max in a day for the PSE. hehehe, it still favors winning by 10%!

+1 regarding the view on politics.

hope the bull market continues!

5. Pepe G Boy

Pepe G Boy

I think the market is just shaking off the punters.

If institutional funds are picking it up, EDC may be worth a long term investment position.

Im looking at COAT again. Seems there are some people spporting the price.

6. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

Well I sold half on the first day. The announced probable use of EDC's greenshoe option will trend to depress the price. I'll probably sell most of the rest tomorrow. IPO purchase price just 3.20, still good profit.

There will be a number of IPOs and backdoor-listings in 2007- these should be invested in selectively; plus continued bull in property, banking, infrastructure, telecom, mining and energy sectors, UNLESS that bad political/international stuff happens.

Best way to finance your guns and ammo.

7. akula

akula BizDuc NM Millennium Member

Sir Ante,

Hint naman on Jollibee (JFC) and San Miguel (SMCB);
    Also, mey pag-asa pa ba taas and LC, PX?
    What's the deal with MAC -- biglang taas, tapos stagnant uli?

Which property issues are a buy at what price ALI, FLI, ELI?

At least makapag-ipon during the gunban for ammo to blast away by June/July :D

8. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

Sold another 25% of my PNOC-EDC today @ 4.35 (the price went up from yesterday's P4.15). IPO price was just P3.20. Will hold the last 1/4 of my PNOC-EDC stock longer-term. This company has good fundamentals.

Yeah, I'll give you my opinions on some stocks when I have more time to write.

Meanwhile, I suggest you go to the wensites below. The first one gives you the opinions of the brokerage called Wealth Securities (look at the bottom of the page : "Wealth Corner") on selected stocks. The second one is the ratings and target prices of selected stocks by Citiseconline : look at the "Buy-1" and "Buy-2" recommendations, and look at the Target Prices. (Read the explanations of their rating system that is printed below the table.)

Damn, my day job gets in the way of trading.

http://www.yehey.com/finance/vc.aspx

https://www.citiseconline.com/Final2/Research/RESEARCH.asp
    (when you get to this webpage, look for "Investment Guide, and click the "go" button there.)

9. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

These were the top ten stockmarkets in the world in 2006. The Philippines was #8, with an overall return of 40%, which is pretty good (but if you did your homework and bought just the more profitable stocks, well, I know a guy who got a return of 230% this year just on stocks, and MANY investors got over 100%).

You should also bear in mind that T-bill rates are VERY LOW at this time - right now a 91-day T-bill earns only about 4.82% PER YEAR. Nobody can get rich on government T-bills, or Certificates of Deposit on banks.

Country
    Return*

Cyprus
    159%

Slovenia
    74%

Indonesia
    60%

Venezuela
    58%

Poland
    52%

Spain
    47%

Portugal
    40%

Philippines
    40%

Norway
    39%

Sweden
    37%

*In U.S. dollars. Source: Dow Jones.

10. maskytrading

maskytrading

Hello, I'm maskytrading,a few days old member of BOG...It's nice to rub elbows with people who are into guns and the stock market...Yep, we made some profit from EDC but I missed MPI and MPIW but there's FLI next month...As you said "Best way to finance your guns and ammo"

11. levenezu

levenezu

Newbie here. FLI is a good stock - improving fundamentals. I see a price target of P2.30 based on a NAV estimate of P3.10. :)

12. maskytrading

maskytrading

Hello, levenezu...I'm maskytrading...few days old member of this forum...I'm looking hard at FLI also, considering that there is a 25% stock div. and public offer next month. I hope the final offer would be in l.50 to l.80 range...and as you said it's good up to 2.30...The good thing though is that this offer comes before election-time heats up and you know that a big chunk of the money that goes around PSE aside from the foreign butterflies belong to our big name politicians who will be pulling out and channeling funds to their respective campaigns.

Hope to hear from you about FLI...Merry x'mas and Happy New Year to you and your family!!

13. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

Perhaps this will be of interest to you :

October 16, 2006 | Manila, Philippines

Stock Pick
    Filinvest Land, Inc. (FLI)
    Recommendation:LONG-TERM BUY
    FILINVEST LAND CORP.
    January 2, 2005 = 100

Gotianun-led Filinvest Land, Inc. recently sealed a joint-venture agreement with Africa Israel Investments (Phils.), with the latter investing as much as P2.4 billion in the property firm’s much-anticipated township project, Timberland Heights.

Initially, the Israeli-backed firm will invest around P380 million in the joint- venture project and will have an option to increase its investment by an additional P2.1 billion over the next five years.

Timberland Heights, a 613-hectare master-planned mountain resort township project, is just 15 minutes away from Quezon City and overlooks the entire Metro Manila, at 470 meters above sea level.

As such, it offers residents the unique advantage of owning a home minutes from the city, while still enjoying country leisure lifestyle.

Earlier, Filinvest Land announced that it would acquire the 60% stake of holding firm Filinvest Development Corp. in PBCom Tower.

It will also get the 200,000-square meter shopping center Festival Supermall and Northgate Cyberzone from Filinvest Alabang, Inc.

In an online report, stock portal 2tradeasia.com said this move would allow the company to improve its recurring revenue stream and boost its asset base.

Also, it allows Filinvest Land to "move aggressively into the high-growth business process outsourcing (BPO) segment."

The online brokerage firm also upgraded its net earnings forecast for Filinvest Land for 2007 to P1.57 billion.

2tradeasia.com pegged the real estate developer’s earnings per share at P0.094.

"Revenues will double to more than P5 billion, 42% of which will be derived from rental receipts from mall and BPOs, 58% from [Filinvest Land’s] real estate sales. Return-on-equity is likewise seen improving to 7.22% from only 3.4%," said Grace Crisostomo-Cerdenia, 2tradeasia.com’s chief operating officer.

Given this recent development, the brokerage firm reiterated its "long-term buy" tag on the shares of the property firm.

"We affirm our long-term buy recommendation on [Filinvest Land], given its move to improve net revenue sources and pluses for its asset base," Ms. Cerdenia said.

Shares of Filinvest Land closed at P1.70 apiece in last Friday’s trading session, up by 1.19% from the prior day’s close of P1.68.

"[Filinvest Land] stock is trading at a discount to our [net asset value]/share estimate of P2.51 (post-property swap), and its revised capital structure (78% domestic, 22% foreign) would enable the company to venture into prospective partnerships especially within the booming BPO sector," Ms. Cerdenia said in the 2tradeasia.com’s online report on the firm. -- Ma. Suzette R. Daquiz

FILINVEST LAND CORP.
    STOCK SYMBOL: FLI
    Share Price 1.7 (Oct. 13, 2006)
    High (past 52 weeks) 1.88 (May 9, 2006)
    Low (past 52 weeks) 1.1 (Jan. 2, 2006)
    Issued Shares (M) 9,774.08 (Oct. 2006)
    Market Cap. (M) 16,615.93 (Oct. 2006)
    Book value/share (P) 2.32 (Oct. 2006)
    Major Shareholders % No. of Shares
    Filinvest Alabang, Inc. - Fil. 38.3 6,128,119,263
    Filinvest Development Corp. - Fil. 32.94 5,270,739,708
    Financial Highlights Profit(Pm) EPS P/E DPS Yield (%)
    04-Jan 597.7 - - - -
    05-Jan 656.28 0.0839 - - -
    Jan-06F - - - - -
    Source: Technistock

--------------------

Story Location: http://www.bworld.com.ph/Research/stockpicks.php?id=0073

14. maskytrading

maskytrading

Sir Antediluvianist, thanks for the info...I'm fully convinced that FLI will be a "gold mine" come Feb.06...Problem now is how many shares my broker will give me?

15. levenezu

levenezu

For those interested in getting a report on FLI and other consumer and property counters, please kindly send me a PM.