Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Remember
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since some of you guys or friends you know might be planning a trip up north during Holy Week (that's already next week), I wanted to give you guys a little heads up regarding traffic hazards in my neck of the woods.

This is for northbound motorists only, and only covers the area from Tarlac City up to Urdaneta City. BoG members in Bulacan, Pampanga and farther north are welcome to add details to the thread, as is anyone residing in Tarlac City.

To start off, a portion of McArthur Highway in Tarlac, near Metrotown Mall, is now partially closed to traffic due to the construction of a culvert or whatnot in the middle of the road.

Southbound traffic is now made to turn right here before entering Tarlac City.

However, when you get past Tarlac City, there's a stretch of highway (a few km) that widens to two lanes. Be careful though as some hard-headed motorists still choose to park or stop at the outermost lanes despite posted warnings to the contrary.

Prepare for a traffic build-up when you reach the bridge at the boundary of Paniqui and Moncada in Tarlac. I posted a few months ago that it was under construction. Well, it's still under construction as you can see here:

The flow of vehicles slows down because the detour at the side of the bridge is really just a drit road with large stones that wreak havoc on your car's suspension... maalikabok pa.

If you're headed up to Baguio, do me a favor... don't pass through Urdaneta City!!!

Actually, I have no control over where you choose to pass, but I must warn you that traffic here is bad even on normal days because several portions of the highway have been under construction for the longest time in connection with the road-widening project of the DPWH. Here's a nasty area in front of the new public market:

The bridge after the main intersection is also under construction, as is the area immediately after it, all the way to the next intersection that leads to Manaoag:

Incidentally, if you're planning to go to Manaoag, I suggest heading to the next town and taking the Binalonan-Manaoag road instead. Several bridges in the Urdaneta-Manaoag are under repair and are essentially one-way dirt roads, and you'll end up cursing the high heavens by the time you get to the church. Take Binalonan instead; it's a longer drive, but the highway is smooth and unobstructed.

I hope this thread helps you guys. Stay safe on the road.

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Great heads-up, Mike.
I'm sure those heading out appreciate it.

I and my wife are staying home this Holy Week.
Quiet contemplation and all that, and doing the
visita iglesia only within M.Manila

·
Remember
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same here, horge... just staying at home, except for accompanying the missus on her rounds. When you live just an hour away from Baguio like I do, you can wait for a lean month before heading up. Besides, I think it would be more relaxing in Metro Manila during Holy Week, from our experiences during the last few years.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Salamat ng malaki fafa Mikey
Pre, how do you get to San Fabian , Pangasinan?

·
Remember
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Allegra,

I haven't been to San Fabian since I was a kid so I'm not sure of the most hassle-free way to get there. You could try to PM glck17 since he is in Dagupan and he might know a better route than this one. My suggestion, to avoid the traffic in Tarlac (Metrotown Mall) and Urdaneta City is to turn left at the junction of Romulo and McArthur Highway when you get to Tarlac City. This is the Y-shaped fork in the highway after you pass Petron and Metrobank. To avoid the traffic at the intersection where McDonald's and TSU (Tarlac State U) are located, turn left when you see the Iglesia ni Cristo building at your right side, then go straight until you pass the Governor's Palace (not the Mayor's Palace ha, magkaiba yon). At the intersection after the Palace, turn left, then go straight again until you reach another fork in the road. Take the right part of the fork and head straight until you get to Romulo Highway.

After that, I suggest that you travel along Romulo Highway, passing through Camiling -> Bayambang -> San Carlos -> Calasiao -> Dagupan -> San Fabian. Alternately, you can choose to pass through McArthur Highway and make a left at the intersection of Carmen and Villasis in Pangasinan. If you're travelling in the early morning or late at night, the traffic may be less heavy in these areas. However, I don't know the road conditions on the Villasis -> Malasiqui -> San Carlos route so I am hesitant to recommend it personally.

I've attached a map of Pangasinan to give you a better idea of possible routes. Happy trails :)

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
thanx for the trouble Mikey!!!
I will have to study that map carefully, mahna kasi ako sa goegraphy
I'll be driving at night , hope I dont get lost

·
TagaBundok
1,745 Posts
For those who are travelling to Bataan, Subic and Zambales all major roads are clear except for some minor repair work at Lubao Pampanga and road work at the "zig zag" toward the Olongapo proper. If going towards Zambales onwards I suggest motorists to utilize the expressway of SBMA.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks for heads-up, Mikey.

I also like to advise our northbound BOGs to use NLEX exclusively. The bridge of Meycauayan in MacArthur Highway is under construction and there is an ongoing flyover construction in Bocaue. Traffic, needless to say, in those areas are terrible.

Be safe out there, guys.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nueva Ecija/Cagayan Valley bound...would highly suggest to avoid Bulacan area...the roads just aint right out there lately...:frown: totally distorted na yung asphalt highway on the strectch heading to san rafael...very dangerous...plus the traffic going through all the towns is a pain!

my preference is ignore Sta Rita exit (pay alittle more :)) and enjoy the NLEX further and take the San Simon exit...then catch the olongapo-gapan road...towards arayat/cabiao, et al...

those going further north, pardon the tight squeeze you might find along the highways @ sta rosa and cabanatuan (malls, public markets and tricycles)...:cool: but im guessing di naman masyado traffic...

be safe...

have a blesed lenten season!

·
Remember
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by PMMA97
For those who are travelling to Bataan, Subic and Zambales all major roads are clear except for some minor repair work at Lubao Pampanga and road work at the "zig zag" toward the Olongapo proper. If going towards Zambales onwards I suggest motorists to utilize the expressway of SBMA.
Thanks, PMMA97. We were in Subic last weekend and we had a wonderful time. We went on the Zoobic Safari and I got a chance to see the old American bunkers at the naval base.

The only annoyance during the trip was the detour we had to take on the way home. The cops were makig motorists turn left before entering Lubao, apparently because GMA was celebrating her birthday there or something :frown:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts