close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OT: explorers wanted :)

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by juramentado, Sep 9, 2004.

1. juramentado

juramentado

As a kid, were you ever the type that liked to explorer places, always climbing up things or crawled under something just to satisfy your intense curiosity?

would you like to relive that feeling of discovery, to go to places no one else has seen before?

My caving and exploration group is now accepting new members. The organization is one of the premier caving groups in the country and arguably the best in Metro Manila. We survey and map caves, explore them using the latest techniques and established safety protocols, and conduct biological and geological assessment and studies. We even have a cave diving team to explore submerged sections.

New members will learn basic caving, cave survey and mapping, speleology, vertical techniques and much more. We are not conducting tour groups. If you make it into the group, you will definitely be exploring and bringing light to places untouched by humans, well beyond the tourist paths.

All that’s required is the interest and enthusiasm to attend lectures and training on weekends for the duration of the training (november to January), relatively physical fitness and good swimming skills. Training is free but no guarantee that you'll become a member. You need to pass written and practical tests. Mountaineering / camping skills are ok but not a requirement. A background in sciences such as geology, geodetic engineering, hydrology, biology, hydrogeology is a definite plus. Geeks and nerds are definitely welcome :)

If you’re interested, please PM me

(my apologies to the mods if posts like this are not allowed. sorry..but you never know who might be interested :) )

2. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Pards,

Do you know Chang Guzman and his team?

3. juramentado

juramentado

yup. I know him and several other members of SMOC {sierra madre outdoor club). I first met him while undergoing cave guide training in Negros. He's famous for his great cave photography. I also went caved with him in Cagayan. The mother's side of my family is from there..

4. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Yeah, Chang was my host in the early 90s when we explored the Quibal system in Tuge. Very good photographer and musician, especially when he is in the "mood." Back then, we even have this drink called Caver's delight courtesy of the Bristol Spelunking Club:)

5. juramentado

juramentado

ah you're lucky to have had the experience with the Bristol cavers. The visit of the Brits was a high point in Phil. caving. A lot of the top cavers, including Chang, learned from them. My own caving instructor and my climbing instructor are from that same batch.

6. vega

vega

Anybody knows Rico Lerio?

vega

7. Allegra

Allegra

Interesting pareng juramentado, sounds like fun
    Kaso, I'm too far from Manila

8. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to join the one with the Brits, they were invited by James "Matalino" Smart aka Batman. Who is your climbing instructor?

9. juramentado

juramentado

10. 9MX

9MX Rei!

nope, that 1 week caving expedition of mine never got a repeat performance as went back to full time mountaineering. though i've climbed and bonded with some of them namely: george cordovilla, banny defeo, chang guzman, and fred "amigo" jamili who would now cap his mountaineering career on mt.everest (hope he succeeds):cool:

11. juramentado

juramentado

I learn caving from Mark Dia and rock climbing from Jong Narciso

12. juramentado

juramentado

I've gone caving with Manong Fred as well. He's amazing. A legend in mountaineering and a real cave rat. Yes, I hope he succeeds on Everest :D

13. 9MX

9MX Rei!

I had a feeling your instructor was Mark. I think Mark and I bumped into each other in the 90s though I doubt if he remembers. He was then in the process of arranging tours/expeditions in Tuge IIRC.

Si Jong kakulitan ko yan pag MFPI events, Yay, his signficant other is also a friend. Jong, Amigo, and Banny Defeo all belong to the "Tropang Kubaw" group. I use to hang out at Jong's place in Cubao.
    :)

14. juramentado

juramentado

small world :) I've been to jong's place as well, back when I was still climbing. We used to camp out at Wawa with the rest of his climbing gang prior to cimbing the next day. a lof ot tanduay was consumed on those nights. :cool: my liver took a beating...

i haven't seen jong in years, since i stopped climbing. last I heard he's in India, training for Everest with amigo. suprisingly i have yet to meet Banny Defeo. he's based in HK, I think..

I've only recently coming back to caving. Mark was the one who introduced me to the sport. When i started caving, i already had a background in climbing, courtesy of jong. I've met a lot of mountaineers from other provinces through caving (aside from Jong's barkada, like Choy).

I'm not really a mountaineer and never have been; a bad back and flat feet make sure bearing heavy loads up mountains will be agony. But somehow the attractions of caving are powerful enough to make me try on a backpack again. I'll gladly trek to see a cave, even if I have to suffer along the way..

:)

15. kristiansen

kristiansen Birdwatcher

aba,small world indeed.was climbing when I was in College (MESAU/Adamson)and climbed with Fred jamili and art valdez (now with dotc?)maybe 2 or 3 times,last time was in Mt. Guiting2 in Romblon.Big time na pala sila ngayon.

9mx: my tropa was also there in that unforgetable Mt.Apo climb.this Banny defeo you're referring to is from MESAU/Pal? my last hike was at Banaue/batad las Dec.2003 with my wife and kids.my youngest, 2 yrs. 9 mos. at that time liked the weather so much. ang lamig!!!!sarap maligo sa waterfalls.

16. 9MX

9MX Rei!

kristiansen, yup same banny defeo and the his gang of MESAU palahubogs!;f

17. kristiansen

kristiansen Birdwatcher

hahaha! sige sir,catch up with you guys sometime for more spectacular stories!

18. 9MX

9MX Rei!

hehe..looking fwd to that. yup,i was also in that infamous mt. apo climb in '89. it was the 10th nmfp (now mfpi) congress and climb with 300++ climbers from all over the philippines and from some parts of the world. our climb was spoiled by the NPA's Meynardo Arce Command, then under Bensar Sarabia. luckily, hostage takings back then was more for getting media attention.

19. 9MX

9MX Rei!

bad back? due to a lot of breakfalls?

20. juramentado

juramentado

nah. It's genetics; my father has flat feet and my mom had scoliosis. :( my aikido years were relatively injury-free. :)

I just met up with a friend from my climbing days and he's part of the Everest team. He says the team is doing well and their training is right on schedule.