close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OT: DVD players

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by mikey177, Jan 31, 2005.

1. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Believe it or not, I am going to get my very first DVD player next month. I just want to ask if there is any perceptible difference in quality between the branded DVD players (e.g. Philips, JVC, etc.) and the lesser known or generic ones (e.g. Promac, Mitsuboshi)?

Do you guys have any recommendations regarding what DVD player is most versatile (i.e. can read both original DVDs and DVD-R disks) and durable? Also, could you suggest a brand that has multi-region capability.

Thanks a bunch :)

2. Allegra

Allegra

Mine wasa bought at quiapo for 2t
    Orange yung brand
    Ok naman, kahit pirated pwede, not that i buy pirated dvds. ahem

3. toxic

toxic

4. 9MX

9MX Rei!

pioneer - around 5.6k
    jvc - i think lower than 5k na
    lg

5. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

I've gone through pioneer, samsung and sharp. The only dvd player that can read all dvd's is the generic one which cost me 2000+ pesos. I even can't remember what brand it was, remote control lang ang problema.

6. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

The best DVD player I've ever owned is the generic one bought from SM Appliance for 2k. Kolin yata ang tatak. Comes with a remote and plays everything from R1 dvds to pdvds to vcds and cds.

7. zzz

zzz BoG # ???

I bought a generic DVD player in Quiapo as recommended in another forum. Skyworth or Nextbase kunin mo kung generic bibilhin mo :)

Maganda rin yung Samsung, Pioneer and Philips. I have my skyworth for 2 years now and wala pang problema...halos kahit anong isalang mong CD or DVD mababasa nya. Napalitan na sya ngayon ng Samsung HT hehe :)

People at PinoyDVD might be able to help you decide :) Marami na silang review dun :)

8. FAlvar

FAlvar I love Iya

If you want the best pic quality and your TV supports it, make sure you get a progressive scan player with component video out. If your TV doesn't have the proper inputs or doesn't support the increased resolution, don't bother incurring the expense. Pero dito you can't even find new DVD players na walang progressive scan anymore. Parang standard feature na.

9. ppts799

ppts799 Daisho

nextbase - plays everything. this is the only brand my family gets. kaso the last time i checked at megamall, it's 4k but with 1 year warnty.

10. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Among the generics:
    Orange is decent, but getting a bit dated.
    Colossal is lso decent, but the disc tray looks a little fragile.

All the generics have multi-regional selection
    (It's best to leave it on the factory, all-around setting)

11. paltic

paltic

child proof ang orange at sogeco c/o greenhills;P
    kayang basahin everything...kahit malalabong XXX:cool:
    P 2,400 last year ko nabili...hindi nasisira kahit paglaruan ng 3 yr. old son ko;f

12. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Hey, thanks a bunch guys. I'll check out the players you mentioned the next time I'm in Quezon City.

I'm not really planning to watch a lot of DVDs on it, I just need it for the video editing and video conversion business I'm setting up. In our province there is only one guy offering VHS/V8/Betamax conversions to VCD and DVD, and his shop is not in an accessible location. Sayang naman, I'm sure there are a lot of folks here with old wedding and birthday video tapes that are just rotting and growing molds.

13. dometop

dometop

mga ser,
    i've got a generic dvd player na "HERO" ang brand. nasira yung remote control ni 1-yr. old ko (yeah, that's right, blame the ones who don't know better, hehehe). would any of you guys know where i can get replacement remotes? or a universal remote for dvd players that works with generic brands? or where i can have the original remote repaired?
    will appreciate your help, thanks!
    dometop

14. 9MX

9MX Rei!

dometop,

i doubt if you can have the remote repaired. suggest you a borrow a friend/relative's universal rc along with the manual and see if it will work with your unit

15. zzz

zzz BoG # ???

Yes, I agree with Sir 9MX. Much better if you can borrow a universal RC manual to check if that DVD player is listed.

Yan nga lang hirap sa Remote control ng mga generic players...yung sa Skyworth ko one week palang nasira na, buti mabait yung saleslady at pinalitan pa nya. Simula nun di ko na gano pinapagamit sa iba tutal play/pause lang gamit sa bahay :)

16. New_comer

New_comer

My first DVD is a Xenon, P5,600 nuon, 4.5 na lang ata ngayon. Kahit ano, pine-play: kahit jpg, mpg, bmp, gif format. Parang slideshow, me effects pa. Yun yata ang progressive scan capability. Component DVD output, kaya klaro siya.

Recently I bought a Platinum DVD with 7,000+ songs karaoke built in for P13,000, instead of the P11,000 Magic Mic. Ok ito pang celebrate, parang jukebox, kahit Spaghetti at 8-8 songs, meron ito. Play all din sya, kahit files, kaya nya. So last new years day, alas 4:30 na nang umaga, nagkakantahan pa din.

Gave my Xenon to my mother na lang, wala pa kasi sila. ;)

17. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Last christmas bumili kami ng Philipps DVD player (model 642K...or something ;f). Plays everything (from DVD's to mp3's, picture CDs, etc.) tapos zero interest for 12 months (mga 500 plus yung monthly).

The good thing about this model is that:
    1. Mey component at digital coax output for the video.
    2. Mey progressive scanning option na for HDTV
    3. True 5.1 DTS encoder output for the audio.

Except for powered speakers (which you can buy sa greenhills) this thing is too loaded for it's price. ;)

18. vinsdr

vinsdr

i too bought a phillips dvd player and it worked very well with no hitches. i have tried the generic ones also since nagpapalabas kami ng mga "sinehang bayan" project of my brother.lahat kaya i-play, even the pekengese (pirated). they worked perfectly too kahit sobrang "abuse" na tinanggap nito. the good thing is the price. kung masira man and beyond repair, very cheap to replace. 'di masakit sa bulsa' unlike the branded ones. just my opinion.

19. 9MX

9MX Rei!

me, i got the pioneer version of what mco bought. good deal imho. it gives me the peace of mind that my player will work all the time 24/7 :)

20. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Hehe, our old one is a Pioneer VS-100 bought nung 1999 pa yata. One of the first DVD component systems at that time. It's still ticking inspite of the daily usage although mey kontin'ng topak na. Buti na lang nagagamot pa by unplugging it. ;f