Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 533 Posts

·
Pang Altar
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys can u please comment on the Nikon D70 and the Canon EOS 350D. i'm looking for personal experiences and pros and cons. thanks!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Originally posted by i_am_infinity
guys can u please comment on the Nikon D70 and the Canon EOS 350D. i'm looking for personal experiences and pros and cons. thanks!!
Both Dslrs are entry level of its company, d70 6megapix 350d 8megapix
got hold of both AF speed almost the same , canon has its own baterry/vertical grip; nikon you have to get generic hoodman yata ang brand plus sa nikon pwede ka gumamit ng manual focus lenses nila.
sa after sales mas maganda canon lalo na pag me mga problema unit, try looking here for the cameras review; www.dpreview.com

·
itchy trigger
1,126 Posts
Canon ka na! My wife and I have been canon users for a long time. We have had the 300d,10d, and now the 20d. We even use the ixus line for snapshots and quick photos. MAs madaming lens choices ang canon and they are all readily available here. Ganda rin ng RAW imaging and processing ng canon. You won't regret buying the 350d although PM me the price kasi
I might be able to get you the 20 or 30D for not much more than the SRP of the 350d. Good luck!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Originally posted by bikethief
Canon ka na! My wife and I have been canon users for a long time. We have had the 300d,10d, and now the 20d. We even use the ixus line for snapshots and quick photos. MAs madaming lens choices ang canon and they are all readily available here. Ganda rin ng RAW imaging and processing ng canon. You won't regret buying the 350d although PM me the price kasi
I might be able to get you the 20 or 30D for not much more than the SRP of the 350d. Good luck!
how about a quote also for me on that? ;)

·
Pang Altar
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Mc_oliver
One thing's sure, the spending will not stop there.
eh kung wala pang spend? :supergrin: pang araw araw lang na lens lang bibilin ko pwede na un. :) ...benta ko kaya pang altar ko :supergrin:

Originally posted by EYEMD
Both Dslrs are entry level of its company, d70 6megapix 350d 8megapix
got hold of both AF speed almost the same , canon has its own baterry/vertical grip; nikon you have to get generic hoodman yata ang brand plus sa nikon pwede ka gumamit ng manual focus lenses nila.
sa after sales mas maganda canon lalo na pag me mga problema unit, try looking here for the cameras review; www.dpreview.com
Doc EYEMD and bikethief,

which among the two has cheaper lenses in the market? it's not going to be for professional use, kung sa baril plinking plinking lang :) so u mean if i have a nikon fm10 the lenses from that would be compatible on the d70? what about in terms of features? my old DGcam was an ixus v3 and i'm happy with that with regards to features. i'm slightly colorblind so i enjoy taking pictures in monochrome black&white which my ixus has as a std feature. does the d70 and the 350d have that feature? i don't know a lot about the the other details since i'm new at this. pati ung cmos ng canon and nikon uses sony, i don't even know kung ano un, is that a critical part of the cam? thanks for the feedback guys...keep 'em coming :supergrin:

·
itchy trigger
1,126 Posts
The canon has no B/W option. Mas mura nga lalabas yung Nikon IF you have old Nikorr lenses na. The 350d comes with a
(i think) 17-55mm lens. Medyo nasa wide end of of the spectrum ito so you WILL be looking for more magnification (zoom power.) A good canon zoom lens will set you back around 15-20k. Stabilized and luxury lenses can go up to 100k
++. If you decide on the canon, I can help you look for good pre-owned lenses. I even have a canon 70-300mm i'm willing to part with.

As far as pricing goes, I have 2 suppliers. One is 24k photo in Hidalgo and the other is Infomax Glorietta. I have a 30day creditline sa 24k and they give as low as 25% lower than SRP but walang local warranty. They only give in-store warranties against factory defects. Infomax is a little bit more expensive (less than SRP parin) pero may local warranty and madaling puntahan.
I will post prices for the 350d and d70 later.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Doc EYEMD and bikethief,

which among the two has cheaper lenses in the market? it's not going to be for professional use, kung sa baril plinking plinking lang :) so u mean if i have a nikon fm10 the lenses from that would be compatible on the d70? what about in terms of features? my old DGcam was an ixus v3 and i'm happy with that with regards to features. i'm slightly colorblind so i enjoy taking pictures in monochrome black&white which my ixus has as a std feature. does the d70 and the 350d have that feature? i don't know a lot about the the other details since i'm new at this. pati ung cmos ng canon and nikon uses sony, i don't even know kung ano un, is that a critical part of the cam? thanks for the feedback guys...keep 'em coming :supergrin: [/B][/QUOTE]

kung meron ka existing nikon lenses manual or AF for nikon then get nikon para less ang gastos kasi magagamit mo pa ito. but if you want to start new then get canon, yan din gamit ko 1D and 10D and i use only L lenses iba sila matalas at rugged. for plinking ok na 350d refer kita ke wilson ng avenue photo his price is ok at after sales no problem. wag po magagalit mga nikon users but canon for me personally has better features. pero sabi nga nila "WALA SA PANA YAN NASA INDIAN"

·
Daisho
2,235 Posts
let me start off with this - if you are open to second hand cams, they are very very cheap now.

if you are looking into brand new, most likely you are looking into the D70s (not D70). the 350D is still in the market. canon has better noise levels and can go ISO 100. however, the 350D has a very plasticy feel and is very tiny even for my small hands. nikon has a better feel and the size is perfect without a battery grip. i find the colors of nikon warmer. then again, canon is a good choice for sports photography. i suggest you hold the actual units. either one, you cant go wrong.

you will need flashes. nikon has "creative lighting system". top of the line of nikon is around 17500. top of the line of canon is around 21000.

marketing style of canon is incredible. they have L lenses, non L, type I, type II, IS, etc, and mix and match. nikon just has the cheap and not cheap :) i saw samples of L lens of doctabako, VERY sharp. i also saw sample of 200mm f2 of nikon, beautiful contrast and colors. again, can't go wrong with any.

so, why are there so many canonites than nikonians in the philippines? because service of nikon here s#@%$. HOWEVER, columbia digital has made an annpouncemnet that service will ba all out by october 2006. so again, its a toss up.

advice from a canon friend of mine - get a nikon D50 and 18-200VR lens, and youre set for almost any situation :)

oliver is also correct, if you think your gastos will end there, think again :) :)

visit us at pinoyphotography.org kung may mangaway sayo, sabihin mo lang sa akin ;)

·
Daisho
2,235 Posts
pahabol to make things more complicated . . .

nikon came out with D80 around 2 weeks ago (its a littel brother of D200 with a great price)

by next month, canon 400D will be available. it also has great specs at a very good price.

when choosing lenses, don't forget the crop factor

nikon 1.5X
canon 1.6X

enjoy your new toy :):thumbsup:

·
itchy trigger
1,126 Posts
Hey! The nikon D50 plus 18-200 lens sounds like a good idea to me! Wala ka nang hahanapin. Canon counterpart would be 350d plus sigma 18-200. Either way panalo.

·
Pang Altar
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'm planning to buy the kit muna or even a good 2nd hand either of the 2 and use the lens that comes with it. guys medyo super newbie question ito, un bang AF na lens is motorized ang zoom in and out nya? and the MF is u have to adjust ur zoom by ur self? tama po ba? i was reading this review comparing both DSLRs and they said that the nikon lens that comes with the kit shoots a wider filed of view than the canon? is that a critical advantage/disadvantage?

·
Registered
419 Posts
My 2 cents:

1) Decide whether you go for Nikon or Canon. Either of the two will be more than capable for you. Once you decide what brand, you're going to stick to it for a long time, especially if you add in new lenses. Be warned, buying new lenses are like buying gun parts..you just can't resist.

2) For everyday shoot, the kit lens is more than enough compared to point & shoot cams. It all boils down to how big the sensor is and not on the megapixel.

3) Nikon lenses are usually much cheaper than Canon. Canon dslrs on the other hand are like rabbits, they usually come up with a new model every quarter or so. Nikon once or twice a year lang pero sulit na sulit.

4) Check out my photo gallery at <www.photos.ph/francist>. I use nikon D70 with 18-70 kit lens, 50mm 1.8 & 70-200VR. No matter what you choose, it's the eye of the person behind and not the camera. ;)

·
Pang Altar
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by bikethief
Hey! The nikon D50 plus 18-200 lens sounds like a good idea to me! Wala ka nang hahanapin. Canon counterpart would be 350d plus sigma 18-200. Either way panalo.
ok na ba yang mga lens na yan for everyday plinking? which is cheaper ba D50 or D70? Sir pa PM na lang ng quote nung price range. i'm leaning on the nikon side kasi i have access to some MF lenses from a nikon FM10 compatible ito diba?

thanks a lot!!

·
Daisho
2,235 Posts
the mentioned nikon 18-70 kit lens is a very good basic lens, i don't know why canon hasn't imitated the range. not there is even an 18-135 kit lens of the D80. the VR 18-200 is another one canon hasnt followed. the sigma and tamron counter part may just be too dark at f6.3 (non VR)

nikon D50 is the cheapest so far. around 34k with kit lens (18-55)

nikon D80 with 18-135 kit lens is 67k

both hidalgo prices.

dont forget to get the 50mm f1.8, like foxyyys, its a very good lens na very affordable (around 5k yata). you can also get foxyyys 70-200VR f2.8 which is around 90k :)

·
Daisho
2,235 Posts
foxyyy : kayo pala si F.T., i always see your name at phphoto. try visiting the forums of digital photographer philippines. nikon group is very busy there and we were the first group to meet up with owner of columbia for better service. mukhang mag all out nikon marketing and service very soon :)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Guys, how about the non-DSLR cameras that offer 10x zoom with image stabilization such as the Canon S3IS? I think its range would suffice for most; and has an attractive price to boot.

·
itchy trigger
1,126 Posts
Habang lenses ang pinag-uusapan, Check out my wife's website. She uses a canon 50mm f1.4 and a canon 50mm MACRO. SITE

As far as the non-DSLR option is concerned, the first thing I miss is the optical view finder. Looking through the lens and having no peripheral vision is a zen-like experience. You are alone with your subject as you wait for the moment to pull the trigger...este... release the shutter pala!

·
Pang Altar
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
as for the kit lenses on both DSLRs (N. 18-70mm / C. 17-55mm) big difference ba yang 15mm?

1 - 20 of 533 Posts