Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone can recommend me where I can get answers to a question on my Odyssey's tranny? I just noticed that the lever wont go to D3 but the car works fine in P,R, N and D4. So far its running smoothly, well at least have not noticed anything except that the lever wont go to d3 and the d4 light appears to occasionally blink bright and dim when driving. Appreciate it if someone can shed light. Have been searching the web but cant find real good answers.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
BTW, what year is your Odyssey? There have been problems with the Ody's transmission because the V6 engine is too powerful for it (plus, it drives a heavy frame which carries a lot of cargo. Honda uses the same transmission on its 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Ody's transmission was borrowed from the Accord's.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had a 2001 Accord that was recalled for transmission problems. If I remember correctly, the recall letter said the same transmission was used is Accords and Oddeseys. I don't know what the problem was since mine had no issues, but they did extend the warrenties on the transmissions to 100K miles.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i heard odysseys have the same suspension as accords. i think some have the same engines... so i guess that holds the same as the transmission.

we had problem with our 1994 accord about 2-3 yrs ago. compared to ur problem, ours will shift to D3 pero minsan nag bliblink ang light. here's what i can advise to u....

change your ATF asap! yun yung culprit sa amin. the ATF wasnt changed even nung nasa 80k kms mark na. nasunog ang mga "clutch disks" sa loob. we had to overhaul the transmission and it costs us 25k parts and 8k labor. it came to a point na mag rev lang ang engine at ayaw na mag move even naka engage pa ang drive. sunog na kasi ang "disks".

so guys with auto transmissions.... change your ATF every 20k kms.

i hope your case isnt as bad as mine.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
i
so guys with auto transmissions.... change your ATF every 20k kms.
Not necessarily every 20,000 kms. The mileage where you change your ATF and the correct fluid can be found in your owner's manual. A 20,000 km ATF change is mainly on vehicles with a 40,000 km drain period that often tow a trailer. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
you may be correct but there's no harm in changing atf that often naman. napaka murang PMS ito rather than having to fix or replace your transmission. a 4cylinder engine will approximately consume 4-6 liters of atf lang. thats less than a thousand bucks of PMS every 20k kms.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
atf has been changed and the year model is a 98. I did hear that the tranny for the 2002 was indeed recalled. Its driving well, at least I could feel it shift without any odd sound, its only the lever that wont go to d3.

·
BULLET PROOF
358 Posts
sounds like a cable adjustment problem, a relatively simple fix.any competent mechanic should be able to do that.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Just be very extra careful with the transmission fluid you're going to use, it is not a one size fits all type of thing.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup heard about that too. Thanks. Funny that there are different atf fluids about

1 - 10 of 10 Posts