Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I limped off the plane yesterday here in Cebu after my weeklong OB in Subic (gout / arthritis?). The plane I took was a PAL A340. One thing I noticed in the A330 and A340 is, when you're seated in the middle of the plane, there's a lot of rattling and banging while it's taxiing. None like this in the smaller planes. Any idea what this is?

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Just a guess, but:
Wider fuselages can mean longer spans between deck supports.
The shorter the unsupported spans, the more stable.
The longer the unsupportted spans, the flimsier.

:)
h.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I believe those are the actuators for the brakes, flaps, etc. They managed to reduce the weight of the aircraft significantly by eliminating a lot of hydraulic lines. Airbus uses fly-by-wire technology in their aircraft.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the whine when the flaps extend or retract, it's common to all the planes I've ridden. But for a sophisticated plane like the big Airbus, it makes a lot of noise like the undercarriage is loose or something. Plus a bang like cymbals every few seconds, even right after the engines had shut down. It was a bit disconcerting the first time, but since nobody was worried I guess it's normal, but I'll never get used to it.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, at least two of the ships I've ridden have sunk: MV Cebu City and Princess of the Orient.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Plus a bang like cymbals every few seconds, even right after the engines had shut down. It was a bit disconcerting the first time, but since nobody was worried I guess it's normal, but I'll never get used to it.
I usually observe the noise when the pilots set the flaps and the leading edge for takeoff, and when the pilots set or release the brakes. The noise also happens after the plane lands when the pilots again retract the leading edge and the flaps and also after they release the brakes.

The bang that happens after the engines have been shut off is just a result of the pilots forgetting to reset the flaps, etc, and the cargo door locks being disengaged. Airbus has very different systems compared to Boeing.

·
TagaBundok
1,745 Posts
I never hear those sounds. Too busy reciting The Lords Prayer.

If I were in your shoes I would have mentioned it to the flight crew just to be sure.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whenever I take a PAL A330 or A340, I invariably get seated in the middle, about where the wings are; only choice I had was window or aisle. It alarmed me at first. Will see if I hear the same things next time; I'll be sure to get seated at, say, the tail (allegedly the safest place on a plane in case you know what).

There was a thread at airliners.net as to why the A320s get sent to the boneyard, fly-by-wire and all, when still relatively young. The answer that came out was the A320 after 20 years is worth more as parts than as a complete aircraft.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I am a consultant to airline companies, but on financial not technical matters. Still...

Every brand of aircraft, and every different model within the brand, has unique
sounds- don't worry about it.

What you should worry about -

The "LCC"s ("Low Cost Carriers") run their pilots into the ground- they use them a lot. Well, they have to or they couldn't charge low airfares (Cebu Pacific, Asian Spirit, etc.) . PAL is full-service, full-cost (except for its propeller-type short-flight "PAL Express" planes, which ARE an LCC operation) - PAL is being beaten badly by the LCCs, particularly by Cebu Pacific.

Well, you generally don't get any food in the LCC airlines, and you are not supposed to bring your own sandwiches etc. either, but some people do. You want a Coke? Fifty pesos. (The joke is that eventually the airfares will go even lower in the LCCs, but you will be charged P3,000 if you want a seatbelt.)

I will not write about maintenance and things like that. You are better off not knowing. There are standards but....

The airlines are seriously thinking of removing most, or all, magazines and newspapers from flights. They weigh a lot. Since the price of oil is way up from what it used to be, airlines can only try to recover by lowering weight, and newspapers and magazines do weigh a substantial amount.

Fat stewardesses and stewards will lose their jobs. Seriously. Not mainly because they are supposed to look attractive, but because of their weight.

Airlines are making financial studies assuming a price of $175 per barrel of oil. Oil is down to about $124 now but in the longer run......

Last year there were 45 million Chinese tourists who left China for other countries. The Philippines got.... a measly 150,000 mainland Chinese tourists. But as the price of oil goes up, it will become more and more expensive for those Chinese tourists to go all the way to Paris, the U.S. etc., and they will tend to go to nearer places. Well, the Philippines may benefit from that. But of course we still have to compete against Singapore, Thailand, etc.

Learn Mandarin.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Tell us!
I dont want to die!!

How about Seair??? That's the only airline/route I care about
I hate flying

Magkano na ba roro ngayon

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I am a consultant to airline companies, but on financial not technical matters. Still...

Every brand of aircraft, and every different model within the brand, has unique
sounds- don't worry about it.

What you should worry about -

The "LCC"s ("Low Cost Carriers") run their pilots into the ground- they use them a lot. Well, they have to or they couldn't charge low airfares (Cebu Pacific, Asian Spirit, etc.) .

I will not write about maintenance and things like that. You are better off not knowing. There are standards but....

The airlines are seriously thinking of removing most, or all, magazines and newspapers from flights. They weigh a lot. Since the price of oil is way up from what it used to be, airlines can only try to recover by lowering weight, and newspapers and magazines do weigh a substantial amount.
That's why my friend resigned from Cebu Pacific. He was already a captain, but he said that stretching resources to the limit was just too dangerous. According to him, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Maintenance. Aha. What you don't know won't hurt you. :)

During the late '70's (or the early '80's), PAL stripped their BAC 1-11s of paint, leaving only the decals to save weight (ala American Airlines). The airplane weighed less by about 400 lbs. The airplanes suffered corrosion (because a lot of our airports are near the sea), and the airplanes were repainted.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
"How about Seair??? That's the only airline/route I care about"

SEAIR uses mainly Dornier (German) turboprops. They fly to somewhat touristy places not served so well by other airlines. Are as safe , or unsafe, as any other local airline. (The entire regulatory apparatus here was downgraded to level II because of safety concerns by the US FAA. The military officers in the local ATO itself say they don't have enough qualified staff to do their job. Budget problem and other problems. )

Asian Spirit investigated merging with SEAIR but they couldn't reach a mutually-agreeable price so that's off, at least for now.

There are some other really small airlines that are hardly known. There are too many airlines in this country.

Have a nice day. Just go to confession before a flight and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
I wonder if the stewardesses know about this
Pag mukang ninenerbyos ang FA's, I guess you took the wrong airline

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Cebu Pacific planes are rather hard on guys like me with beer bellies.:supergrin: Plus in at least one plane my knees touched the seat in front. I don't take them anymore if I can help it, one too many 3-hour delayed flight...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts