close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Orlando Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Feb 22, 2003.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

This should be an exciting match. Tell us about it.

2. DannyR

WOW, I just checked the weather map. It looks like today was THE red dot day.:cool:

3. njl

njl

I hope everyone isn't waiting for better weather and planning to shoot sunday like me.

I also hope they accepted my pre-registration faxed in last saturday...technically, that is a week before the match :)

4. DannyR

NJL,

I hope they accept it too. Since GSSF does not work on Saturday in Smyrna, the cut-off for preregistration is Friday the week before the match.

5. 40blaster

40blaster

It is SO fantastic to have another GSSF match right here in my back yard. Thank you so much GSSF. The weather was windy and sunny and a little rain but that's Orlando. The facility is excellent and I hope this location stays on the schedule. I had a seven second run on the plate rack, which has me bummed, but it was such a nice day and I got to shoot with a lot of good friends.
    I feel so sorry for the RO's, they really worked their butt's off. Unfortunatly the cowboy club did not provide them lunch or even a break to eat lunch. Not even a soda when it was so hot. I used to look forward eating Julian's burnt hamburgers but some small minded club member put up so many road blocks he couldn't even bring the grill out. It's a shame we got stuck with the match directer they had, some of the guys have a lot of experience running big match's. A couple of the RO's even walked off it was so poorly run. Oh well, this is the first match and for sure a learning experience. I hope the volenteers don't get discouraged.

6. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Well exciting is an under statement. First of all I would like to thank the RO's that showed up for a great job and all their hard work. Mike Ross and sorry to say I didn't catch the name of a few others worked their tails off and their hard work was greatly appreciated. The facility is great, the setups need a little re-aranging, especially the "M" but the RO's understand and see the few small tweaks that need to be done to make things run a little smother. Afterall this was their first GSSF and they did an excellant job.

The Weather: well it was warm Sat. with off and on sun.The rain held off until late Sat. and then made a impressive entrance. The wind, well that was the real challenge, around 25 mph with gusts probably 35 mph. Really made the old tombstones a good moving target;f .

We all had a great time and our activity director, aka: Fireglock, took good care of us.;c ;c ;c . My scores were less than stellar but there is Anderson coming up. AmCiv: 127.34, Stockmeister: 181.46 and U/L: 105.85. I just couldn't get those moving targets to move in front of my bullets in the right location.;Q ;f ;f ;f

In summary, I still enjoyed myself and definately would like to see this one stay on the schedule. It was a good first match and am confident it will just get bigger and better, the right mix is there.

7. noway

noway

Great match and alot closer to Miami area vrs the other match in Jacksonville

cons:

>Sign in was slower than a 2 legged turtle and the trailer was HOT!

>M statge needed more ROs and the 2 could have been seperated for quicker completetion. It took me over 2 hours to get thru this stage alone. the plates and 5 to glock where much quicker.

>The local fellows where real @#$holes about eyes protection ( mainly the bearded guy in redish shirt ). Safety is a big concern but the way they whent about informing visitors was a pain.

>no side matches

> I missed the turn off from Moss Park rd and it was real confusing when I found it and the No OUTLET sign. A sign placed right their would have been very nice.

> Targets wheren't place at equal heights on the "5 to Glock" and "M" stages. Some where higher or lower between the targets and totally different between each stage.

pros:

> Saturday no rain but alot of wind and dust later on in the day.

> Took me 210 miles form my door step and 3 hours of driving on the way back even a few miles less ( turnpike all the way to Ft. Pierce exit ) and then I95 the rest of the way.

I think this GSSF/Orlando match being available might spark alot more interest in the southern tip of Florida for shooters to make the trip.

Thanks GSSF, it was nice.The ROs worked their butts off and specially on the "M " stage. It was nice to see other shooters help out with covering the holes to help speed up the stage. This stage during my wait had 3 to 1 ROs and it was pain when one RO is left behind to start the timer and write time and calls scoring......This was my biggest complaint and was well documented on the feedback sheet. Each stage should have at least 2 ROs per stage. Doing it with one is very stressfull for all.

8. DannyR

Getting volunteer help is never easy, especially with a new, big match. I'm sure there will be improvements next year, including lunch and cold drinks for the hard working RO's.

9. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

NOWAY,
    If you get a chance try hitting another GSSF match this year.
    I've been through shooting in less than an hour in some locations!Good luck on winning some $$ or a pistola!

10. cal s.fingers

cal s.fingers

this was my first outdoor gssf match i will be back thank you ! i shot 3 guns and was finished by 12:15 very cool thanks again gssf.

11. PHARAOH

PHARAOH Guest

What a Hoot! I would like to thank the RO's who showed up because they all worked their butts off. Their hard work was greatly and dedication was appreciated. The Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club range is a really great place for the match. Like Don At PC stated the Glock-M need to be re-arranged to speed things up and make things run faster and smoother. Mike Ross an RO, spoke with me and explained he knew a little tweaking was needed to make things runs better. For the first match in Orlando all in all it has been a great one.

I want to thank our Activity Director;Y ;W aka: Fireglock, EM'S Fireglock's better looking half, and Shanne DEJ/FL's oldest daughter for two great nights of socializing events. (Great Dinners);f ;a ;f

Dan's Oldest daughter also shot the match and did fairly well for a junior shooter. Keep up the great shooting.

Now as for the weather!!!!!!!!! Nice and hot Sat. until late in the afternoon and talk about windy it was a toss up between a hurricane and a tornado all day. Then it stared to cloud up and just before I shot my Glock-M it started to down pore. I finished before the targets needed condoms over them. No one would like to shoot through them. ;f All in all I did ok but as always the jerk behind the trigger showed up late in the day.;g

Am/Civ- 110.92
    Stockmeister- 150.42
    Unlimited/Master- 143.33 (booooo)

I just have not been able to put a finger on it yet.

Yep, I think the wind had a large part in the way things turned out. With this being the first match in Orlando the growing pains where evident. Next years match there should be even better. I had a great time and will be back next year!

12. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

...well, couldn't find the camera at 0230 Saturday, when I pulled out. But, I now feel I should have looked harder, just to have recorded the look on the Glock armorer face, and the Glock rep, when I told him I had a bullet lodged in my barrel....and needed some help:)..and then went on to tell the armorer and the rep that I shot lead bullets, on occasion...

Ho-Ho-Ho...

Jerry saved the day w/the tools I needed,..and I was off to continue the match.

I finished my last stage just,....as it started to rain buckets.

I had a great time talking to all the shooters (Fireglock, pharaoh,Dan - nan, Glockrunner & spouse, 57 ranger school grad, SF soldier just returned from Afghanistan, retired couple from michigan..ect) There were so many. As I was there, pretty much all day, I guess I had an opportunity to talk to more folks, which made the match most enjoyable.

returned home at 0100 Sunday, in time for some shuteye,..and then off to my daughters gymnastic meet in Myrtle Beach.

Jay

13. njl

njl

The weather was excellent. I'd say perfect, but it would have been nice if there was just a hint of cloud cover to diffuse the bright sun and maybe a couple degrees cooler.

The range was nice. We seemed to occupy just a portion of their facility. The ground was pretty wet, especially the parking area, so it must have rained pretty good saturday night.

My last saturday faxed in pre-registration was accepted. I got there shortly after 10am and walked into the sign-in trailer...no waiting. I picked up my score sheets, signed 2 waivers, and was off to the stages.

There was considerable waiting at the 5-to-Glock and Glock-M stages...but probably no worse than JAX. The RSO's did seem to be spread a little thin and solicited target pasting help from waiting shooters. If nothing else, it gave us something to do.

The stage setups were a little weird. Shooting positions for 5 and M were just outside big shade overhangs. I was a little concerned about losing the light and having a dim optima dot. Some of the targets were pretty crooked due to uneven ground. The far targets were also in shade under overhangs. Aiming at dark targets in the dark doesn't seem to work so well with iron sights, but I still managed a personal best in AmCiv.

After shooting 5 and M, I headed over to the plates and found no waiting. With one plate left on my 3rd run in AmCiv, I had an extraction failure resulting in a double feed. I didn't hurry to fix it because I "knew" I'd get a reshoot. When I turned to the RSO and asked for a reshoot, he refused, so I put the mag back in and hit the last plate.

I ended up going back to the trailer for a clarification and was granted a reshoot. Now that I look at the GSSF site, I can't find this rule I was sure existed. I thought if you had malfunction with factory ammo, you got to reshoot the mag. The closest thing to this I can find is a quote from Rusty saying this much at

http://www.sportshooter.com/gssf/r_u_new2gssf.htm
    and
    http://glocktalk.gunserver.com/showthread.php?threadid=26730

Anyway, if I wrote everything down correctly, I did a 100.32 in UL and a 109.25 in AmCiv...which I'm sure is going to be not good enough for $ in A, and too good to get lucky in B :( I don't think the reshoot will make a difference here...but it'd be really funny if adding 23s to my score (what the double feed did) would have put me in the money in B.

I'll be looking forward to another 2 (or more?) GSSF matches next year, hopefully in JAX and ORL again...unless we can get them to do a Gainesville match at GTRI. I think we actually have as much range space as was used in Orlando...but parking would probably be an issue here.

Where's everyone else? I know more of you were at the match.

14. MFinch

MFinch Guest

"just to have recorded the look on the Glock armorer face, and the Glock rep, when I told him I had a bullet lodged in my barrel....and needed some help..and then went on to tell the armorer and the rep that I shot lead bullets, on occasion..."

I've seen the look also, and rec'd the associated lecture from Glock-dudes. So I did the correct thing..... make sure I shoot good lead bullets. I'm currently waiting on the shipment of 40's to get this season going. Wish I had been there. Anyone going to Mesa?

15. 40blaster

40blaster

Getting volunteer help is never easy, especially with a new, big match. I'm sure there will be improvements next year, including lunch and cold drinks for the hard working RO's.

16. mr glock-fl

mr glock-fl

Hi Guys,
    First "Big Thanks" for coming to our match at Central Fla Rifle and Pistol.We were short RO's because of a conflict in the local shotting clubs having other events at the same time.Our short set up time frame caused the NO food situation but this and the RO problem will be fixed next time for the Orlando Glock Match II.Thanks for noticing we were road hard and put away wet but we tried to do our best for the match."Big Thanks to all the people who helped me on Sat at the 5-Glock and the Glock M Sat late and Sunday all day(I'm the one who yelled"If you want to get to shoot faster then help paste",I could hear the mouning.It really helped--"Thanks Again"
    Just so you Know,the glasses all the time is a requirement-the one you complained about has lost part of one of his eyes due to an accident on the range.You may not like it but it is a good rule-one of the spectators by the Glocking Plates got a piece just below her glasses--my friend can tell you its worth the inconvience!!!
    Thank you Jerry-and all the others for making this a great first match,See ya soon.

17. njl

njl

Especially when shooting steel, you have to be crazy or stupid to not wear eye protection. I found out at my first GSSF match, it tends to rain lead shavings uprange from the plates. I've also been hit many times, once in the face (just below the glasses) with splashback from shooting plates and seen others have blood drawn by lead or jacket material.

My only real complaint about the way the range was run, was smoking. I don't know what the range rules are, but an RO smoking a cigar with clouds of cigar smoke blowing towards the firing position is pretty annoying, especially for people who either don't like or have allergies to smoke. Our local outdoor range forbids smoking beyond the parking lot.

18. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Well the Orlando match is history and there were a few bumps but it was still a fun match and a good first effort. Robert, the gentleman that has been spoken of several times in this thread, needs to learn to be passionate about safety without antagonizing his audience. If there was one single thing that caused grief at the match, it was his attitude. I know he can be calm and pleasant, I saw him operate in just that manner at times. I hope before the next Orlando match he can see his way to modify his approach to education.

Well the ROs were definitely Iron men and women. The Saturday group did call at least some of the Sunday crew so they would know what to expect and many were better prepared for the marathon. Mike Ross worked all day Saturday and Sunday and finally got to shoot Sunday afternoon, he finished as they were taking down the equipment. All the ROs deserve a big hand for the work they did and the conditions they endured. ;W ;W

Team Sidearmor had another great time with “Factory Texas Tony” leading the way in Stock Meister. ;W The AmCiv gang followed the lead of Pharaoh who had his best times to date. ;A Hopefully the Team will find the performance that we had a few short months ago.

My match was a mixed bag, my best Unlimited score to date (55.99) ;f, my worst Stock Meister score in quite some time. :( Must have been the time I spent playing with the 45 instead of practicing with the 9. The layout of the range leaves you looking toward the sun with the targets backlit. With the 20 and 25 yard targets in the shade (early or late in the day), iron sights and old eyes proved too much for me to over come. I had nice groups, just too high. This brings us to the other item I noticed at the range which others have touched on, they have shelters over the plate racks. Lead splatter from the plates hits the angled roof, which bounces it back towards the shooters and ROs. I was hit, as was a nice lady who was waiting to hand in her sheet on Saturday. When I say hit, I mean hit hard enough to draw blood. Now we all know why eye protection is so important!! This isn’t the lead rain that we frequently have, but directly back at the firing line.

Emily had a great time Saturday but not one of her best shooting days. Dinner at Charley's made it OK though. :)

I had the opportunity to visit with lots of folks including Trooper Dan, Oldman, 40Blaster, JayShebuski, Peacekeeper and a bunch more. Mark and Kim from the range we use came and had looked to be having a good time. I shot Sunday morning moving through the stages in the company of Oldman and generally just had a great time. We also had two great meals with the gang, even glockNstein was there Friday night. All in all a great weekend and it was only two hours from home. ;f

19. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

Being computer challanged when I visit the Orlando branch of the family I have to wait to post.

I was in town on Friday and running a bunch of family errands on Saturday. My plan to shoot on Sunday was perfect. Beautiful weather and great company. I actually had some time to sit a spell with FireGlock and "shoot the bull". (Now about that new fangled .45GLOCK...) Even brought out the family to include my 3 Year old. After he and Mom watched me embarrass myself on the "5" my son walked out with me when they scored and said "Daddy now it's my time to shoot!" Did I mention he is only 3? :) I already see my modest GLOCK collection shrinking.

The plates were quick and the "M" in the shade a bummer. The times for me to shoot were about 4 hours total. My last visit to Jax on a Sunday had me finished in 2 1/2 hours. The "M" and "5" were a little slow but still very reasonable.

I also am not a fan of cigar smoke in my face while shooting. Maybe I can use that as an excuse for my performance. Speaking of which I did not do as well as Jax. My Am/LE score had an extra 15 seconds on it do to those shaded "M's". My bad as FireGlock even warned me about shooting high in the shade. I did not break 100 on that score and will probably be out of the money. I did break 100 on the Sub-Compact as well as Stockmeister but were talking mid to high 90's here. No fancy scores for me. I look forward to seeing how the official numbers look.

I shot 4 classes this time and all of them with my G26. At one stage, (plates) I was able to shoot all four, one after the other. The RO was a bit surprised when the 26 was my only gun but with a big bag of pre-loaded magazines! (16 of'em) Happened again on the "5". four straight runs and the RO was a little surprised that the G26 was the "only" gun. Hey it works for me. :)

I did learn again however that when I shoot three classes the third run is my best. Happened here also. the 4th run went back up a little. In Police work we call this a "CLUE". I will limit myself to three guns in Anderson.

Jay and GlockRunner...I did sign us in on a team sheet as the "Carolina Crew." If you guys did another one then maybe we have two chances to win :).

I am looking forward to Anderson again in March. If my transfer comes through to the West Palm Beach area I will for sure be hitting the FL Matches again next year.

Some of you "Gold Coast" and South FL guys and gals will need to help set me up with some local clubs and ranges.

Long story short...had fun! :)

Had to add that the Armorer was great. Fixed a magazine. checked out the G26 for the upcoming endurance test as well as helping me with a part above and beyond the call of GSSF duty. Here's one to you. ;c

20. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I even took a photo FotoTomas and family for their scrapebook! ;f