close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Organization

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by UTKEngineer, Feb 7, 2006.

1. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

Hey folks,

I'm a college student who loves to hunt, but have limited space. Given that I have tons of stuff for hunting (balaclava, game bags, gloves, big jackets, backpacks, and miscelaneous other things).

I'm starting to have trouble finding the things I need before a hunting trip and many things are starting to end up piled on my couch or taking up space else where.

Given that I'm living in an apartment, I need a way to organize my gear. What does everyone else use? I'm thinking of just buying a big rubbermaid tote and sticking everything in there. I'll still have to dig around, but I'll know where everything hunting related is. I'd hate to do this because I have more stuff for backpacking and hiking and then there's my general range shooting stuff (pisotls, etc) and it'll all get stuffed in there and end up being a mess again. So, anyone got any better ideas? I'd sure appreciate it!

UTK

2. rwojcik

rwojcik

That's what I did (rubbermaid or close). Had the same issue with all of the gear, clothes and all the other crap that needed to be stored until the next season. Might want to put your camo and outdoor clothing and boots in a separate container with some type of odor control. Then stuffed it in my trailer so not to use up household space. That way all gear is located in one area unless working on something. I have tried to get 2 of everything so I don't have to keep running back to storage for something but that doesn't always work.

3. noway

noway

Here's what I do....................

Rubber maid storgae bins would work okay , but they take up alot of space. What I have is a collection of military B 4 bags ( look it up online ). I have a duck bag with all of my duck stuff, a turkey bag with all of my turkey stuff , and few more bags for various hunting. The bag can be stacked, hanged or squeezed into any area in my closet, truck cab, truck tool box, trunk of my car, etc.....

if I wake up late and just need to grab my ammo/calls/and other stuff , I just grab the appropiate bag and off I go. Kinda like a EMT tech grabbing his gear before heading to the truck to go on the call ;) The only thing not in that bag would be my gun.

After I use the stuff and bring it home, I restock it and clean up whatever needs cleaning and restored.

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Depends on how hunt nutty you are and how much stuff you have.

I have 4 of the heavy duty steel shelves (cost $50-$75 each @ Lowes) with plastic bins for most of it. Clothing in the closet, guns in the gun racks, decoys (who else in AZ has 4 doz. decoys?) in bags. This is all a mix of hunting, fishing and camping gear. Everything is labeled (cooking, rope, calls, packs, sleeping bags, etc) on the front so I can see easily without taking all the bins down to peek inside. You can fit a ton of crap on these shelves and they'll hold a bunch of weight. the adjustable shelves help with storing both big and little.

5. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

I have 4 of the largest rubber maid tubs that I could find.

I am a nut about scent control so I put window/door sticky gasket material on the underside of the lids to make them more air tight.

They are labeled "Hunt 1,2,3 & 4".

1-3 have hunting cloths prewashed for season and type of hunting.

4 has a large fanny pack, back-pack and other items. They stay packed and ready to go.

alot of times I just load 1 or 2 into the truck, grab a gun and take-off. I'll dress at the place.

I like the bins because they are stackable and allow me to organize the insides somewhat.