Ordered Another Press

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Taterhead, Mar 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Taterhead

Taterhead

Well, the other day, I said that if I ever got another single stage press it would be the Forster Co-Ax. Great looking press. I changed my mind. I didn't go Co-Ax although I still think it would be terrific.

I have been eyeballing the Summit press for a few years, thinking it would be a nice press to rig a portable setup. There are also other features that seem appealing like the open access. It seems very well built. I'd done some shopping this month so with the RCBS rebate and a nice Midway sale, it is $92 to my door. Hard to pass that up.

For a portable setup I like that it is a design that doesn't try to roll the bench over. I'm thinking of a table that can hook to a trailer hitch. I've also been thinking about a setup for a powder dispenser that has a wind barrier. There are some closer ranges, but my preferred is almost an hour away, and I've often wished for a press while at the range.

I also ordered the short handle and an accessory base plate. I don't have room on my bench for 3 presses, so the base plate will let me quickly swap the Rock Chucker with the Summit. While the spent primer catch thingy looks a little cheap, I like that primer goo doesn't get all over the ram. I will probably retrofit with this setup [EDIT: I ordered this]:

http://entirelycrimson.com/SumSPC.html

My Rock Chucker is indispensable, and it certainly will not be retired. Heck, who knows if I will like the Summit. It has certainly been a polarizing design, but overall reviews are pretty favorable.

Now I have 3 RCBS presses. I didn't set out to be all green, but it just kind of worked out that way.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    HAMMERHEAD, Wizzz, dudel and 4 others like this.
  2. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Nice, looking forward to the full review.

crockett likes this.

3. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

There was a red white and blue limited edition one on sale last month. Interesting rig.

crockett and Taterhead like this.
  4. crockett

crockett

Very nice! Make some photos when you are done. :)

5. Kwesi

Kwesi

Always interested in your reviews. Congrats!

Taterhead likes this.
  6. Taterhead

Taterhead

I defintely will. "When" is the question. Schedule is jammed for a couple of months.

Probably will unbox. Fondle. Take pics. Then serious work will come when I can.

WeeWilly and crockett like this.
  7. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor

That is based on the Arbor press design. A time proven press used by competition shooters at matches. I have owned a "Coax Press" for over 20 years. It is a go to press for serious work.:drillsgt:

Taterhead likes this.
  8. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

That's cool.....nice little press......perfect for remote mounting for use in the field/range. It would be nice to build a couple rounds to try, make a change, build a couple more, etc.....great idea.

Taterhead likes this.
  9. Taterhead

Taterhead

I've seen where guys get the arbor press conversion parts to use it for chamber types of dies. Glad that your Co-Ax is running good for you. I'm not surprised.

Dog Soldier likes this.
  10. PsychoKnight

PsychoKnight

I don't have a manual or electronic powder measure. I do have 4 different brands of case-activated powder measure.

As a back up press to my progressive, it looks like there's no way I could use any automatic powder measure. Its a tight fit above the die?

I guess both the Forster Co-ax and Summit would be a no-go for someone who plans to use case activated powder measure. Any other highly regarded press I should cross off as well?

11. jmorris

jmorris

I have made a couple receiver, press mounts. I added a mount to this one that holds one of those crank up pool umbrellas to provide shade, I even use the mount just for the umbrella sometimes.

A5A3919C-7F0A-4CC8-B728-3EEB46B2F91C.jpeg

Wizzz, DWB57, Taterhead and 1 other person like this.
  12. Taterhead

Taterhead

I have a couple of case-activated dispensers that I use exclusively for the progressive press, and one standalone for using the SS.

[​IMG]

I couldn't conceive of an advantage to using a case-activated dispenser on a single stage. Especially if dropping-and-trickling. Why not strip the linkage and dispense from a setup in a powder measure stand? This one is thankfully unthreaded so takes a hand-tightened lock ring to secure from below. That way lifting the hopper out to dump leftover powder is a snap.

[​IMG]

Keep the seater in the single stage while doing the powder dispensing operations in the dedicated powder measure stand.

crockett likes this.
  13. Dog Soldier

14. Taterhead

Taterhead

Uh ok. Thanks for tidying up the semantics. For anyone reading my prior post, please refer to this post for clarification.

HAMMERHEAD likes this.
  15. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Funny, I always called them powder drops or tricklers. I guess getting behind the nomenclature curve is inevitable, seems like I lose another step every day. :)

Taterhead likes this.
  16. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

I feel like that with everything......I get tired of saying..."I didn't know that":dunno:

WeeWilly likes this.
  17. jmorris

jmorris

I’m not much of a stickler for things like that. If you were my kid and asked for another clip, I would correct you but if your just a fellow shooting with me, I’d give you another mag and go on with my fun.

I knew what Tater was talking about, although if he said trickler I would have thought he was talking about the device that has the knob on the side and as it’s rotated, drops powder in by the kernels very slowly until the desired amount has been achieved.

Taterhead likes this.
  18. Dog Soldier

19. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

20. jmorris

jmorris

I can. Dillon has always call their optional case collator their “case feeder”. When the tube that holds the cases and all of the apparatus that take cases from the tube and inserts them into the shell plate (aka case feeder) comes with the base machine from the factory.