Order of the "M".

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by OmahaNE, Jun 13, 2005.

1. OmahaNE

OmahaNE CCW NEBRASKA

No, this isn't the latest harry potter book. My question: What order do you shoot the M?

I see some do left to right, hitting leftmost unhit steel when applicable.

I tried it last time hitting all of the cardboard left-to-right and then coming back and picking up the steel.

What do you do & why?

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

left front paper
    left rear paper
    right rear paper
    right front paper
    steel

no reason other than it feels best to me

3. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Left to right. 1 shot only on steel, if it's a miss I finish the paper before going back to the steel. I do it because it is smooth and efficient.

4. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Same here.

5. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

The "M" I shoot left to right. 1st string: Lt front papper, as I sweep to Lt rear papper I pick up the Lt Steel then the Lt rear papper, Rt rear papper and Rt Front papper. 2nd string: Lt front papper, Lt rear papper and as I am sweeping to Rt rear papper I pick up the center steel then Rt rear papper and Rt front papper. 3rd string: Lt front papper, Lt rear papper, Rt rear papper and as I swing to the rt front papper I pick up the Rt steel and swing on to the Rt front papper.

As CGR said if you miss the steel on your first shoot during your swing continue you swing through all the papper and then go back to pick up the steel. I feel this is the smoothest way with least wasted motion. With a little practice you will find the piece of steel you are shooting for on each string will come natural with your smooth swing through the stage. Go slow until you feel comfortable and make every shot count, speed will come with practice.

6. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I shoot right to left and pickup my steel as I pass. If you miss the steel go back after you finish your paper. I move right to left so I'm moving away from my ejected brass.

Just so there's no misunderstanding:

1st string: P-S-P-P-P
    2nd string: P-P-S-P-P
    3rd string: P-P-P-S-P

Don't wait to see what happens to the steel, go back if you have to. Waiting waste time.

7. OmahaNE

OmahaNE CCW NEBRASKA

I think that the left-to-right movement is the most efficient. Is there any issue with what I call the "decision" factor?

I mean, if you shoot all the cardboard left to right & picked up the steel at the end, you don't even have to think about what popper you're on.

Well, I guess you still do. It's just done at the end.

I think I just answered my own question.

8. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker SuperOwner

I am left handed, I go left to right. If I was right handed, I would probably go right to left.

9. Fireglock

There are several reasons for going right to left rather than left to right, but in the end it's your call. If you're not shooting sub 100 it probably doesn't matter. AND some good shooters (that shoot well below 100 :)) go left to right.

Waiting till last to shoot the steel means you wait to see if it falls, if it doesn't then you shoot again until you accomplish the task, if it does then you move on. That wait adds a transition back from the direction you just shot through. If you shoot the steel in your pass, you're not waiting to see if it falls, you only go back if it doesn't. You may not shoot fast enough for that time to seem significant, but tenths of a second start to add up. Practice will help you work out your transitions and your sequence. Remembering which steel to shoot isn't a big issue if you practice and then concentrate on your shooting at the match. :)

10. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I learned to shoot it the same way as Fireglock and for the same reason. The casing ejection is to the right and the pistol momentum is to the left.

11. triggerpresser

triggerpresser

I agree with Fireglock except I go left to right, I guess my brass clears the gun quicker or he is just shooting that much faster than I am...;f The second thing I do differently is if I miss a steel popper I simply pick up the next one in succession, unless it is the last one in which case I will come back to it. This feels more fluid to me.

12. Terminator

Terminator

I shoot the same sequence right to left.

13. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I shoot factory ammo so the ejecting brass issue doesn't bother me. Are some of you guys shooting such light loads that it poses a problem?

14. Fireglock

Maybe.

15. Don At PC

Not me, I have never caught up with a piece of ejecting brass: But then again I am pretty slow compared to several. However I don't think in most cases it is the fear of catching up with the ejecting brass that some folks shoot from Right to Left; I think it is more the influence of the weapons natural leftward momentum when fired which is logical. There is nothing wrong going either way; the main thing is which way feels best to you and gives you your best score. Of all the master class shooters I know some shoot Rt to Lt and some Lt to Rt.

16. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Have you always been this definitive?

;f

17. Fireglock

How about a yes on that one. :) Yes I do run into the brass with my stock gun because the loads eject rather lazily. The speed of the rounds is around 920fps on average with a PF of 137, more than sufficient for GSSF or even IDPA but the recoil is rather light.

18. OmahaNE

OmahaNE CCW NEBRASKA

Thank you! I am learning a lot!

Sounds like there's a few reasons to go right to left.

Left to right feels more natural to me, but I guess I could adjust.

Are there any good reasons to go left-to-right?

19. Fireglock

No. I shoot the 5 to Glock right to left so I can start with the 10 yard target and finish with the 5 yard target. The 5 yard target is a gimme, you can push it, but if you start off with the 5 and push it you tend to rush the following targets, you don't want to rush at 25 yards! I start with a slower pace and finish with a quick pair on the 5. Since I shoot the 5 to G right to left, it makes sense to do all three that way. Add the brass issue on the M and plates and it makes a good argument for the right to left method.

20. Don At PC

I also shoot the 5 to Glock right to left for the same reason (except for the brass issue). Gee I am really slow. ;f