Orange Groves

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bruce M, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Bruce M

Bruce M

Anyone know anything about orange groves? I was in the middle of the state which seems to be split between orange groves and cattle land. A few groves appear to have been abandoned as far as taking care of the trees. I am guessing that trees have a finite fruit producing life and I guess a freeze could be devastating if not dealt with properly. Anyone have any idea how long it would be for a grove to go from looking nice to looking dead and overgrown?

2. PBCounty

PBCounty

They all went to hell around here in no time when citrus canker made its way through. I was surrounded by healthy, vibrant groves, and then they were just gone. Now they are just acres of abandoned, dead trees. I kind of think they killed the trees on purpose to halt the disease.

3. PPinesRon

PPinesRon

Citris canker and the new one, citrus greening, are really hurting the growers. A guy that's in my woodturning group is a retired horticultural HS teacher who owned a nursery on the side and he said, not only these two diseases, but housing development (no surprise), and, interestingly, climate have made a big dent on the groves. Climate in that, not that it's getting warmer, but freezes, have really hurt. His wife's family owned a grove between Orlando & Tampa and they got wiped out in a freeze. The land was in the family since the 30's. Not sure if it was the January, 2010 freeze that did them in.

4. HarlDane

HarlDane

Orange trees will produce a commercially viable crop for decades with proper care, there are some groves over 100 years old still going strong. As for how long they would survive without being managed, it would depend a lot on how much natural water they received, here in CA they would look pretty bad fairly quickly, and be totally dead in a few years.

5. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

The only thing I know about them is that landing a small, fast parachute in an orange grove in high wind isn't fun at all. Plus, the trees don't want to give your parachute back.

Deanster likes this.
  6. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

I have a orange tree in the corner of my yard. Its got poor light and it leans. The house was vacant for 7 years before I bought it and the tree had nobody taking care of it for at least that long. It still produced huge naval oranges. Based on that I'd guess they can go for years untouched by humans and still bare hood fruit.

7. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    If you let a grove go fallow it will look like that in the course of a season;

What part of the state were you in, Bruce?

8. PBCounty

PBCounty

Hood fruit is more mangos or star fruit. I guess they steal sugar cane too. If you have a mango tree visible from the roadway, those bastards will pick it bare.

OGW likes this.
  9. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

I don't remember is 2010 was the year but it sounds about right for that freeze we had. Good lord was that brutal.

The Citrus Greening is doing our Citrus industry in down here. Theres nothing you can do except burn the whole damn infected crop, either. Scientists are working on genetically modifying Oranges with DNA from Spinach, IIRC, to make them resistant to it.

10. HarlDane

HarlDane

In a residential setting, there is enough water and nutrients for a single tree to live just fine, an entire orchard will need regular maintenance.

11. Bruce M

Bruce M

Lakeland to Leesburg to HainesCity to Frostproof.

12. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!

That's a couple of hours North of here; if you ever get furtther South on US 27, down towards the US 27/ State Road 29 Junction, let me know, we can meet up....

13. PPinesRon

PPinesRon

My wife & I attended a wedding in Orlando on 1/10/10. The married couple were Chinese and that day was supposed to be lucky. Anyways, it was in the low 20's for a high that day in Orlando, I don't know what it was the night before. After the reception we headed back home to Broward and my kids said it got in the 20's on Saturday night. There were quite a few dead iguanas around the lake. Boy, those things stink after they're dead.

14. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Once the tree is dead, how good is the wood when harvested?

Frequently, fruit trees make great:

-firewood, with a nice scent,
    -chipped up to put on a charcoal fire to smoke meats.

Cherry is awesome for this, the scent coming from a fireplace chimney, or,
    used to smoke chicken or beef on the grill.

Apple is also great for this.

How does orange wood perform?

Is it good for woodworking, like to make cabinets or furniture? Does it have a nice grain?

15. waawaaweenie

waawaaweenie

most citrus wood is twisty and not very big around.

you may find some larger diameter wood near the trunk but it gets thinner pretty quick as it grows out

16. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

How is the scent, for firewood or smoking meats?

17. HarlDane

HarlDane

The wood is fine for smoking after it's good and dry. Orange trees are grafted and then pruned to grow more like a big hedge with a short trunk and twisted branches than a tree, there isn't much usable lumber in them if any at all.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  18. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Well good thing that orange juice consumption is plummeting in this country to help combat these diseases.