Orange County Deputies kill jaywalker

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Sgt127, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Sgt127

Sgt127

Sherlock913 and happyguy like this.
  2. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

I don't care what color you are or if you're mentally ill. If you grab a cop's gun, you deserve everything you get. Cops have to protect themselves.

wlkjr, dartor, Cambo and 5 others like this.

3. hannstv

hannstv

Well they did solve that homeless issue for him.

Cambo, BigBull 301, PBCounty and 2 others like this.
  4. bdcochran

bdcochran

The usual wringing by people, of course, like:
    1. the police should be trained to deal with the mentally ill.
    (an alternative is that the hand wringer devote 1/2 day a week to dealing with the mentally ill)
    CA. Mentally ill. True story.
    Democrats - release the mentally ill. They have not done anything seriously wrong. It is a violation of their civil rights.
    Republicans - we don't want to pay to have the mentally ill in state hospitals.
    Compromise done - release the mentally ill; pass a law mandating housing for them, unfunded; pass a law that they can get verbal treatment and meds at community center that the mentally ill can walk to, unfunded.
    Ronald Reagan, governor signs off.
    Death rate among the released mentally ill is 4 times the rate of people of the same age. Problem nearly solved.
    2. Just like people on the forum sometimes, a hand wringer of the public type will say prove it to me! This is a lazy way of saying I want to have an opinion and I don't have time to research the facts. (Like the police didn't have to kill him, they could have shot him in the leg; the police should have de-escalated. When they do walk away, we have a thread with neighbors complaining that the police walk away when the guy is exposing himself to the neighborhood, walking around swinging a knife, pooping on the sidewalk, etc.).
    3. What is as bad as fake news as some dumb comments by relatives like - he was just turning his life around, sure we knew that the guy was mentally ill and figured a way around it-but as for you in the public that is your problem.

5. Sgt127

Sgt127

I think the catch phrase for almost everything can be “mental illness” or, “low IQ”

As long as you can claim one of those, laws don’t really apply to you. You certainly can’t get the death penalty.

“He must have been crazy to rob that store in front of all those witnesses.” Correct.

“That sure wasn’t very smart to grab that cops gun.” Correct.

“He must be crazy to rape and kill an 80 year old woman.” Correct.

“What was he thinking breaking into that house with people inside? That doesn’t make sense!” Correct.

If we look at crimes committed, with the obvious probability of being captured and tried, criminals are either mentally ill or, have very low IQ’s.

Therefore, mental illness or low IQ is the cause of most crimes, so, no crime was actually committed as the offenders mental state did not allow them to commit the crime “knowingly or willingly” (Texas Law).

We are pumping kids through the education system and classifying them with “behavior disorders” at a phenomenal rate. When their ****ty behavior manifests itself in the real world, they already have a resume full of proof they are mentally challenged.

nikerret and DonD like this.
  6. DonD

DonD

I have a story, actual, that is pertinent to this. My son was street cop in a major city. Dispatch sent him to transfer a mental case from the hospital to another facility. Dispatch had no info on what the individual's problems were.

He called the hospital and they refused to tell him anything, citing patient privacy. He repeated the request saying a brief summary of the individual would protect both the patient as well as him. Hospital said no, patient privacy. He said "I'm not transporting, have a good day" and went about his business of patroling. He never got any backpressure about it. Don

Edited to add: Idiot leftist and panty wadders act as if with only a brief contact with a disturbed or addled individual, that they should be able to accurately assess that person's issues and effectively deal with them. Being a PhD psychologist isn't in the cards for cops, never will be and even then the PhD might need hours of evaluation to make a confident determination

7. fastbolt

fastbolt

Perhaps not while still working in the career, but there are some cops with a Masters in psychology. A close friend of mine had his Masters, and was working on his PhD before he retired. The agency made decent enough use of his education and experience, letting him put it to use in doing training for CIT and while working with trying to allocate resources for people with mental health issues while in Community Policing, trying to get them connected with local services so they didn't keep ending up being the reasons for calls-for-service.

One day, over cigars, my friend introduced me to another candidate in his PhD program. He was a retired cop, and my friend said there were several other cops working on their PhD in Psychology in the program at that time. He said there appeared to be a developing trend of seeing more Psychologists with a LE background.

Nowadays that friend keeps busy creating and providing counseling and training programs for police agencies, and doing some part-time background work for a fed agency.

You don't have to look hard to find working Psychologists with LE backgrounds.

I attended a class just before my retirement called "Detecting Danger", taught by Dr Steven Rhoads. Excellent class, BTW, for working cops. He's a 30 year Police veteran, who retired as a chief, and who has been teaching LE as a Psychologist for some years.
    https://instruq.co/go/instructors/steve-rhoads

Another friend of mine, retired, told me that the psych he'd had to see after his 2 on-duty OIS incidents (to be evaluated and cleared to return to duty) reportedly had time in LE many years ago, and connected very well with cops.

8. DonD

DonD

What you point out are, I believe, exceptions. If you disagree, I'd like to see some statistics. I know of a Marine Corps officer who had a PhD in astrophysics. He was the only one.

I know enough about psychologists to say that there's a big difference between even a Masters psychologist and a practicing PhD.

With all the totally unacceptable anger toward cops, those with more and more advanced degrees are, in my expectation, not likely to put up with it. Don

9. fastbolt

fastbolt

Might, or might not, be "exceptions". It seems as though it's becoming a popular career path for a growing number of cops who can leave young enough (50's) to still wish to pursue another career.

My friend told me that while he could use his Master's to do applied and practical work, he wanted his PhD so he could also choose to become involved in research, as applied to subject matter arising from the field of LE. He didn't just want to be a licensed mental health counselor, but wanted to choose to perform research areas he felt were critical to understanding, and better addressing, many of the modern problems being experienced by people in LE agencies. He wanted to see better resources and training available for cops, and better preparing cops, and agencies understanding the need for evolving their training in CIT for people on both sides of the badge.

He used to describe the difference between his Master's and PhD as the difference between having an understanding the core issues, theories and research methods, and being able to help counsel (like some licensed mental health workers who "only" have their Master's), versus becoming better able to choose and engage in topical research and then applying the results as a PhD.

I'd guess the cops drawn to getting their Master's and perhaps their PhD in Psychology is a different group than the ones I've known who went to Law School, passed the Bar and then worked as licensed attorneys. No particular shortage of them.