close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Optimal placement of trigger finger on trigger?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by eboggs, Jul 13, 2012.

1. eboggs

eboggs

Well, I keep fondling with my Gen4....I just cant figure out which strap fits my hand best...(Maybe im slightly retarded...) but i think im just super indecisive. :whistling:.....

Anyway, I know the best solution is "what fits me best" but is there a standard, in which "This is where/ how your trigger finger should be on the trigger for optimal performance."

ie: with no backstrap, my trigger finger rests on the trigger on the little crease on my finger, from middle to last? finger pad...(I hope that makes just a little bit of sense..

With the medium it rest almost at center, alittle behind center of last finger pad, and L is past center (when trigger is not depressed) and about center when pulled....

this probably is a stupid question.....but WTH.....

2. ijacek

ijacek

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342224397.106492.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342224408.025603.jpg

For me it is the tip of the finger, with optimally only the two distal finger joints moving.

3. sciolist

sciolist

I like to be up near the tip. Not quite as close as ijacek, and not quite as much daylight as he has in top view, but toward that end of things. Splits are faster, and the gun drives better that way for me.

That said, it's easy to pull (really push) shots in the direction the tip is pointing, so need to watch that. Not much of a problem for me freestyle, but I use a bit "more finger" when shooting strong or weak-hand to counteract the pushing tendency.

You can be rock solid on the trigger dry, and still have all kinds of problems live. This stuff needs to be evaluated on the timer, under pressure, out at a reasonable range. You’re not necessarily going to see the problems shooting on a static line at defensive range.

4. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

Funny you post this. I recently saw a few videos and read some pieces which offer good argument to not use the tip of the finger but rather the full pad or the area between the pad and the first joint when shooting a Glock. This does have merit when you view the correctional target;

http://www.bghi.us/targets/rh_correction.pdf

For those right hand shooters who tend to shoot to the left, this seems to work. Give it a try.

5. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

You know I was thinking of getting a light flesh colored tattoo on
    my finger pad to show me the proper angle and depth

I just always seem to work on everything when at the range instead of just one thing.

6. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman

Although I have historically used the middle of the pad for my Glocks, I have found that my finger tends to drift or slide laterally on the trigger when shooting under stress, opening up my groups and hindering accuracy. I have recently switched to a first joint point of contact with the trigger and things are much better now, particularly on my smaller Glocks (27 & 23).

7. jph02

jph02

The only stupid question is the unasked question...

I'd say try each configuration out at the range, perhaps even over several sessions. Then go with the one that gives you the best results. By default, that'll be the one that "fits" best. :)

8. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

Yes sir. This is what should be done.

9. GPBob

GPBob

That's exactly what I did and found the large strap worked best for me and my finger placement.

10. Redstate

Redstate

I use the middle of the pad and that appears to work best for me.

11. English

English

One thing to consider is what happens to your trigger placement after recoil? It makes a lot of sense to use a placement that does not change from shot to shot or require you t0 re-position your finger after each shot.

English

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  12. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

center of pad

13. MikeG36

MikeG36

Mid-Pad for me.

14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Middle of the pad for accuracy but it still doesn't feel as natural as the first joint. Like English said, especially with higher recoiling guns, the middle of the pad doesn't provide much "purchase". I think under extreme stress and close range I would naturally be included to use the first joint.

15. Paul53

Paul53 Scream catcher

Right hander, shoot to the left, trying to find the right finger position has been giving me fits. Now I'm trying to have my left hand curled further around and under. This seems to be helping more than changing finger position, for me.

Since we have 2 eyes, can't we have 2 bulls eyes on the targets? That way I could aim at one and het the other dead center.

BTW, shooting my Browning buckmark gives me good groups dead center. Maybe the left hand rifling Glock uses is the problem?:whistling:

16. HK Dan

HK Dan

When I am training students I have them use the first joint of the finger as a reference point. Not the tip or the center of the pad, as those tend to throw she shots low/leftfor right handed shooters. It's worked every time it's been tried so far.