close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Optima red tops still as good as they once were?

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by GlockSupremacy, Mar 17, 2010.

1. GlockSupremacy

GlockSupremacy Recycle Kids!

I have a optima red top that is probably 9-10 years old that has been abused, charged, neglicted, charged, repeat. It sat yet another winter in a rarely driven truck and still cranks that truck over at a almost comical speed.

I have been out of the automotive loop for awhile and want to know if optimas still are manufactured to the same level? or if you are having good 'luck' with your red top?

I had yet another battery die in the daily driver honda and i think i want to fix it for the next decade or so... overkill be damned!

-posted via crappy smart phone-

thanks guys!

2. Mwildt

Mwildt

I have one in my '74 Bronco and it can sit for months at a time without being turned over. I've semi abused as well, but nothing extremely harsh.

Having said that, I have read several people online bashing them saying that they aren't what they used to be. I've never had any problems from mine however.

3. ubersoldat

ubersoldat

No.

The used to really be great for the cost, and they WORKED. But that was the ones from ten years ago. USA made.

I buy old 4x4 trucks, rebuild em and sell em, and I used to only throw in red tops, but after I had three of them fail in under a year, I stopped using them.
    I guess it has alot to do with them being made in mehico for the last 3-4 years, or maybe not, all I know is that I have first hand experience with them going bad for no reason.

I can buy a great battery at walmart for that matter that last longer for half the cost and a better warranty.
    And its what I actually did when my last red top went out and low and behold, the damn walley world battery is still functioning perfect.

Save your money for better vehicle mods, optimas are now a status symbol to mall crawlers.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  4. GlockSupremacy

GlockSupremacy Recycle Kids!

About how old is your red top?

Disappointing to hear that your experience shows that red tops have declined. The older one i have has been awesome as stated above. Ill check to see if it was a USA manufactured one...

5. Honda Ghandi

Honda Ghandi

Optima moved their factory to mexico a last year or the year before. Even before then they started using cheaper materials and less of them to get a better profit margin in their products. Quality of course suffered. I have a couple of red tops and yellow tops from before the switch. I hope they never die, but when they do I wont replace them with new mexican Optimas. :(

6. KILLERtj

KILLERtj F.I.B.

I had a Red Top in my Wrangler for 3 years, then it lost a cell. Replaced it with a Wally World cheapy and has worked great. There are better quality batteries on the market.

My Optima worked great until the cell shorted. If it only lasts as long as a normal wet cell batt, I'm not paying 3x the price for the name Optima.

KILLERtj

7. salvo

salvo Pass the ammo

I live in Vegas and the summer time heat seems to really kill batteries, I have quite a few vehicles and the earlier Optimas were worth the cost, I had no idea Optimas are made in Mexico now, but my own experience shows the new ones don't last! I started buying the 3 year warranty ones at WallyWorld and they last about two years here, just take them in and swap for new and never have to pay for another battery!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010