Optics Advice

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by RatDrall, Jul 6, 2010.

1. RatDrall

RatDrall

Looking for a dot or holo sight for a flat top AR.

Specifically, the less expensive Aimpoints or Eotechs. I have little experience with either. Please educate me, or point me in the right direction :supergrin:

I have a while to dream, have to build a new career from the start, but I figured I may as well start learning...

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

For a non-magnified optic, I don't think the EOTech XPS 2.0 can be beat. Others will, of course, have their own opinions.

3. Noodles McGee

Noodles McGee

For my first reddot I bought a Used Aimpoint M2L about 5years ago for about 250.00 with a Knights Arm mount. It's still going strong. I played with a few eotechs of my shooting buddies and I like them. But have no reasons to replace my Aimpoint.

Used is the way to go if you want to buy decent and save cash. As long as it's not a fake, the lens look good and it lights up your good.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  4. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Aimpoint C3 or ML2 if you're non military or LE and on a budget.

Both will run 10,000+ hours constant on and perform under tougher conditions than you will likely ever experience.

I ran an M2 when i was in, i've got extensive time on the M2, ML2, M3, M4, M4s and T-1.

I currently have a couple Eotechs in an evaluatory role because budgeting is tight and they were free, when $$ is free I'll be running a T-1.

5. mjkeat

mjkeat

I have an Eotech XPS and H1. Both are nice and you really cant go wrong with either. Ive also used M68s but for the money and for what I use my sights for Ill stick with the less expensive Eotech and Aimpoints. I do know there are other companys out there that sell optics for far less money that would serve a guy well. PrimaryArms (theres a video on youtube displaying the durabilty of this optic), Lucid are the two that pop into my head. I personally want to try the Lucid optic. You dont need to spend a lot on an optic to punch holes in paper.

6. Popsmoke

Popsmoke

Some folks find the outer circle in the EOTech distracting.
    Some think the dot in the Aimpoint is not perfectly round and looks more like a comma with a shadow.
    Some think the outer frame of the Aimpoint is too large and obfuscates too much of the target.
    Some dont like looking through the box lens of the EOTech.

I have both and really like both. I like the EOTech because the inside dot is smaller at 2 moa at a realisitic brightness.
    I like the Aimpoint because is very simple and there are no distractions.
    I like the EOTech because the battery life is good, yet both have good battery life and its rugged as hell.

I guess its personal preference.

7. joesrcool

joesrcool

I agree with what most people are saying. You really need to go to a store that sells both to determine what works best for you. For me, I ended up with an EOtech after first trying both 1-4x variable optics and Aimpoints (4 moa). I prefer the EOtech reticle over the others and I find that I have very quick target acquisition. It's all going to be personal preference and what features are more important for you.

8. glock22357

glock22357 Got Ammo???

I love my Eotech 552. The center dot is 1MOA, and perfect out to 100 yards. Beyond that I'd probably need some type of magnified optic to see hits. Since my rifle is a SHTF and paper punching noise maker, I love my Eotech.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  9. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

For the money the Aimpoint C3 is the best gone going. My personal favorate red dot sight is the more expensive T1 due to its small compact size.
    Pat

10. Tomac

Tomac

The Aimpoint Micro H-1 is available from Botach w/a decent QD mount for appx $440 shipped after their 15% "stimulus" discount code: http://www.botachtactical.com/aih1pade.html
    Picked this up for the wife's STG-556 and after trying it for awhile decided to get the same thing for all my STG's. I don't normally recommend Botach unless they have the item in stock but I've received all 3 H-1's quickly and w/no problems.
    Tomac

STG-556 w/Botach Aimpoint Micro H-1/mount combo:
    [​IMG]

11. vettely

vettely

Wow, I am shocked :wow: "the usual suspects" have not posted here yet

12. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

13. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

My only thing to add to this is that if you have an astigmatism, as I do, you may want to try before you buy if possible. I tried my friends EoTech and w/ my glasses on the reticle had "bloomed" a little bit(marginally acceptable IMHO). W/O my glassed the inner dot looked like a football and it touched the outside ring. Just something to think about if you have this issue w/ your vision.

I use ACOGs, FYI, but that isn't what you asked about.

FB

14. Jay S.

Jay S.

Same here. Without my glasses on my Eotech was useless to me. I have a cheap red dot similar in design to an Aimpoint that does not have the same effect. My next optic will be an Aimpoint.

15. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

Have you tried an Aimpoint? I thought they suffered from the same issue, but I will admit I haven't used one.

FB

16. Achped

Achped

17. vrex

vrex

Aimpoint H or T 1, or irons.

18. Jay S.

Jay S.

I have not tried an Aimpoint - only the knockoff. Maybe it does have the same issue but to a lesser degree. I'll have to dig it out and check it to be sure. If it does have the same issue, I guess I will just have to make sure I am wearing my glasses or contacts when the Zombies come!:rofl:

19. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

I have used and liked both EO Tech and Aimpoint sights, but I lost a little faith in EOTech after the cross bolt in my previous one sheared clean through when mounting it. Since then, I have been using an Aimpoint M2 in a Larue cantilever mount and could hardly be happier.