Optic Milled Slide Refinishing Options

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by nszzya, Sep 3, 2018.

1. nszzya

nszzya

I'm considering having L&M, ATEI or Jagerwerks mill a G19.5 for an RMR. I would like to keep the appearance and durability of the slide as close to the factory nDLC finish as possible while protecting the milled surface. L&M will cerakote the milled surface only while ATEI and Jagerwerks will use black nitride on the entire slide. Which would you choose? Anyone know if ATEI or Jagerwerks will nitride only the milled surface?

2. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Nitride>Cerakote

3. nszzya

nszzya

From what I gather, the nDLC would be removed first. Any downsides to having the nitride finish? Would this void non-finish related Glock warranties?

4. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

I would think that as soon as you start milling on it, you void any warranty.
    Which would not be a deal-breaker for me.
    If it was, I'd get a second slide for my RDS.

5. bigbrother1984

bigbrother1984

If you are concerned about a warranty on a $500 pistol, you should not have it milled. Leave it alone.

6. cciman

cciman MacGyver

The nDLC, or whatever is on it, will be milled off over the area of the milling. You will have to ask them about what happens to the undamaged finish on the other parts - it would seem counter productive (and counter intuitive) to remove the unharmed finish, just to refinish the milled area.

You may be over worrying about the milled area....there are many (myself included) who do not have that area treated and have not had problems (going on 10 years now). It is a downside of the milling a stock slide. The other option is to buy a MOS, or premilled slide, and not have that issue, but...there are other downsides to those.

Once you step into the custom milling, warranty will be out of the question. Really a moot issue since it is such a cheap, and ubiquitous gun.

bigbrother1984 likes this.
  7. Tom-R2

Tom-R2

I had an RMR put on by Jagerworks, they did a fabulous job. I had it Cerakoted with sniper gray, I did the frame in sniper gray at home and I'm very pleased with their work. They did the milling, finishing, mounting, installed the supressor sights and sighted everything in before shipping it back. I think turnaround was 10 days or so. Glock 23C I bought at an estate auction, I don't think it had hardly been shot. Had both the ported 40S&W and an aftermarket 357SIG barrel. I love it.

8. nszzya

nszzya

Thanks for that - very helpful. I'm not excited about refinishing the non-milled area either. I think L&M may be my go to if I want the milled area protected as they will cerakote only the milled surface. Granted, cerakote won't be as tough as nitride, but the optic will cover most of the milled surface so it shouldn't be an issue. I'm further encouraged that the untreated milled slides have not encountered issues.

9. MacAttack

MacAttack

I had AETI mill my slide back in January and opted out of treating the milled area. They die a great job and custom fit the cutcto my RMR. Well last week my battery ran out (less than a year on a new battery - go figure) and I had to pull my RMR off to replace the battery. I was surprised to find rust under the plate and not just surface rust but some deep rust. I was able to take a brass brush to it and clean it all off but there was still dimpling from the rust but not enough for me to have wished I spent the extra money to have gotten it treated. I figure the only time I will see the raw milled area on the slide is when I pull off my RMR for a few minutes once a year. I personally would rather spend the monuy on ammo before I would pay to have them treat it. Now if you were doing front end slide serrations then yeah, I would do a full refinish but otherwise just save your money.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  10. nszzya

nszzya

That sucks. For me, I'd pay to not have to deal with the potential corrosion. Do you remember if ATEI gave you the option of treating only the milled surface?

11. MacAttack

MacAttack

Don't take my word for it but I believe the option is in the slide refinishing section and was like $80 or $90 for just the milled area. I would call ATEi to confirm.