close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Opinions wanted on these .40 range ammo choices

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by geo57, Feb 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. geo57

geo57

I know my new G22 will digest WWB and Magtech's 180 FMJ offerrings, but they are not always available to me. Some other choices listed below are available to me presently. I'd appreciate your opinions & observations if you have ever used these loads in your .40 Glock. Pinpoint accuracy and a little grime isn't as important to me as reliable function, decent quality and a good crimp / no bullet setback issues . Thanks

Federal Champion 180 gr. FMJ
    & Fed Am Eagle

Speer Lawman 180 gr. FMJ

Blazer Brass 180 gr. FMJ

Fiocchi 180 gr. FMJ

Independence 180 gr. FMJ

Rem UMC 180 gr. FMJ

2. BadAndy

BadAndy

All of those will work fine.

Only ammo to be cautious of are reloads of unknown specs and unknown reloader.

3. Eagle22

Eagle22

have shoot these three

Federal Champion 180 gr. FMJ
    & Fed Am Eagle

Speer Lawman 180 gr. FMJ

Blazer Brass 180 gr. FMJ

( all are made by Federal but in different factories)

IMO, and I have been shooting about a year, so may not be woth much.

I also have a G22 and G27.

I found the BB 180 to be the least actuate of the three and have the most kick. It still shot very well, but for me the Federal and Speer were better.

I have quite a bit of Federal here, but would not have a problem buying a case of Speer FMJs and Gold DOTs

Shoot what you can get. Stick with one brand FMJ and get the same wt and brand HP.

4. beancounter81

beancounter81

I shoot Federal Champion 180gr and Speer Lawman 180 gr from my G22 and G27. Both shoot fine and I can't really tell a difference between them.

5. 2afreedom

2afreedom

Honestly I would pick the one I got the best deal on. Unless you are doing target shooting competitions or reloading the brass the difference will be minimal.

6. cmcinc

cmcinc

I have used all of those except Fiocchi and they all work great. Whatever is the cheapest.

7. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Viva Hate CLM

I keep the Remington, Federal AE and Speer Lawman on hand.

In 180 grain .40, I have mostly Rem UMC right now - my USP seems to like it just fine.

8. Brucev

Brucev

About the middle of 2009 I bought a G-22RTF. Since then I have fired a total of 1,500 rds. through the pistol. Below are listed the loads which have been fired in my pistol and the results those loads have given.

Fed. Champion 180 gr. FMJ - Total of 1,200 rds. fired. POI = POA @ 15 yds. Excellent accuracy. One 50 rd. box (Lot No. M18Q3) produced 4 FTF. The final 15 rds. of this box fired normally. The next box of that same lot number fired normally. 100 rds. (different lot number) fired two days later produced normal perfect feed, fire and ejection. This is the only time this pistol has ever FTF. I did lower my thumb down (straight thumb grip rather than 1911 type high thumb hold). I did note that the bullets in the one box (Lot No. M18Q3) demonstrated numerous imperfections that were atypical. The other box of that same lot number looked normal. Other lot numbers examined were bright and smooth. I will not again buy that lot number of Fed. Champion ammo.

Winchester White Box 165 gr. FMJ - Total of 200 rds. fired. POI = POA @ 15 yds. Extremely good accuracy. Single best 10 rd. group (15 yds.), fired one handed, is 2 inches perfectly centered on the target. Groups fired two handed run 2-3 inches for 10 rds.

Magtech 165 gr. FMJ - Total of 100 rds. fired. POI = POA @ 15 yds. Excellent accuracy.

With the exception of the single instance of FTF noted with Fed. Champion (Lot No. M18Q3) all of the above listed loads have given perfect function in my G-22. Firing with magazines loaded with 1, 5, 10 or 15 rds. all of the above loads have given excellent on target results. For range use I consider these loads to be completely reliable. I do consider the one problem with Fed. Champion (Lot No. M18Q3) significant as this is the only time this load has given a problem in 1,200 rds. fired. Quality of the loads listed is excellent.

I have repeatedly loaded and unloaded magazines by running the rounds through the pistol and letting them eject onto a soft cloth. Not once has there been an instance of bullet set-back. In every case, each round has demonstrated a correct secure crimp. In some instances, the ejected rounds have struck on metal objects resulting in nicks, etc. to the bullet. When loaded these rounds have feed, fired and ejected normally.

I will state that I prefer the Winchester White Box load. In every respect the WWB 165 gr. FMJ load has been superlative. I prefer the 165 gr. load as, in my estimate, it gives ever so slightly less recoil which is a consideration in long strings of fire (15-25 rds.). With the WWB load, POI = POA. The 165 gr. bullet does not seem to hit the target (scrap harrow blade donated by church member). The 180 gr. loads over time end up producing cracks in the blade so that it eventually breaks in half and has to be replaced. I think the 165 gr. FMJ loads seem to shatter more readily when they hit the target, which prolongs the life of the blade for my uses as a target.

In the future I will be buying more Federal Champion 180 gr. FMJ ammo. I will not buy boxes from the lot number with which I had problems. I will buy more Winchester White Box 165 gr. FMJ. When price is comparable, I will buy the WWB as I simply prefer that load. But in reality, there is no real difference in function or on target results. I could be completely happy with either load. HTH. Sincerely. Brucev.

9. J_Rico

J_Rico

I have shot all you list (except Indepenence) w/o issue. My favorite off your list is the Fiocchi, but it is not so cheap anymore.

FWIW I have been shooting my G22 and G27 for 12+ years. I have fed them both the cheapest ammo I could find. The only failure either has experienced was one FTE in each gun out of the same box of Wolf several years back.

10. den888

den888

All of those brands are fine. I find that Independence is lower priced than the others, but is of good quality.