close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Opinions wanted on possible trade...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Menehune, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Menehune

Menehune

Okay, haven't done a lot of trading over the years, only a couple times and usually knew exactly what I was trading.

Now, I have been offered a trade for one of my guns. I have a M&P .45 midsize, that I just can't "love". The gun feels great, shoots great, and I really don't have an issue with it. But it just doesn't "call" to me like most of my other guns have. I even had it posted for sale a coupel times, but pulled it down after a while and second thoughts.

Now, in the past few months I decided I was wanting a S&W wheel gun, but was looking for something pre-lock and something just a little different. Nothing too exotic, performance center type thing, just a J-frame or so that was not something you see every day.

Now, I have been offered a S&W 640 It's a 3" .38. Pretty sure it's a Centennial model, as it appears to be the only 640 3" .38 made. I'm not a S&W expert, so placing a value on this model is kinda hard for me to do.

Anyway, he's offering the gun + $200 cash for the M&P. Assuming the gun is in good shape, no issues, what does the hive think. Opinions, input welcomed!

-Kirt

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

If that's what you're looking for, I'd say go for it... That +$200 makes it a pretty nice trade.

3. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Lets say both guns were NIB, the 640 would be worth MORE than the M&P. The fact he is tacking on $200 should be a deal maker.

4. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

:wavey:

Yep. I'd take that 640 over an M&P anyday, the $200 is just gravy.

5. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

On the surface, it sounds like a good deal. Heck, if the revolver was in decent shape, I'd do it. However, a 3" J-frame is kind of unique; neither fish nor fowl. Many (most?) J-frames that are carried are used as drop-in-a-coat-pocket type guns, and the longer barrel on the 3" J-frames really take them out of this class, requiring a holster for most carry. If you're gonna use a holster, then you can carry a more effective gun in the same relative space (think 2.5" K-frame magnum or baby Glock). If it was an adjustable-sight gun, then it could be used as a trail/kit gun, but a concealed-hammer/DAO doesn't easily fall into this role for most folks.

I suppose if it didn't meet your needs, then it could be re-barreled with a 2" tube fairly easily at the factory. Let us know how it turns out.

6. Menehune

Menehune

Thanks guys.

Yeah, the thing about this gun, is really, it doesn't seem to "fit" anywhere, other than as a shooter/different type of gun. As a carry gun, I have many others that offer more in the same size. But as a shooter, something "just to have", I think it will fill a nice void, as my only other wheel guns are single actions!

7. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

It should shoot fairly well for a J-frame, given the longer barrel (improved sight radius) and a little more weight out front than is usual for the breed. Just roll that trigger back smoothly. Enjoy!

8. ronin.45

ronin.45

If you like all steel snubbies a 3" isn't much harder to carry than a 2". I have a 3" 9mm S&W that I carry regularly. If you have other guns that are better for carry, that is great, but don't overlook the 3".

And that trade is a great deal if the 640 is in good shape.

9. Menehune

Menehune

I just replied to him that if the 640 is in good shape, I'll do the trade.

Pre lock, stainless, a bit different from most J-frames, good deal, I think I;ll be happy.

I'll update when complete!

Thanks again guys!

-Kirt

10. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Full length extractor is nice.

11. Menehune

Menehune

That would be one of my concerns in a J frame with a short ejector rod. Just shooting them at the range, I have had to grab th ebrass on occasion and pull it out by hand. This appears that it will fully eject the brass.

12. eddief4

eddief4

seems like a good deal to me. id' do it:wavey:

13. Berto

Berto woo woo

That's a very good deal.