Opinions wanted. Buy now or wait for gen 4 G34

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JohnTz, Jan 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. JohnTz

JohnTz

I am looking to buy my second glock so my 23 doesn't feel lonely. :)

I have decided on a 34 and am wondering should I wait for the gen4 or get a gen 3 now? I own various other guns so it isn't like I need one now but if there really isn't much difference I would like to get a 34 soon. The only thing that I am curious about is the new recoil spring. I don't really care for the interchageable backstraps but am wondering if the new spring assembly will make significant difference. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

John

p.s. I just found this forum and love it. Some great reading here and some even better folks.

2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Your going to be waiting a long time for the G34 to come out in a 4th gen IMO...
    as for the new dual recoil spring assembly... I can't really see any major improvement for the 9mm models...

3. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I agree, who knows what the wait will be. Get the G34 now. You could even try after market recoil reducers like the Sprinco or if you can find a Harts system.

4. JonInWA

JonInWA

I'll frankly be surprised if there's really that much of a major benefit to be derived from the new nested/telescoping Gen 4 spring set-up in the 9mm Glocks. In .40 (and potentially some of the other calibers, particularly .357 SIG) it makes a huge amount of sense, in terms of more effectively handle those cartridges' immediate (and more intensive/acute) pressure spike, and for long-term frame longevity, as well as for operational success with an attached rail-mounted illumination system.

My thought is that I suspect that Glock is going that route more for reasons of eventual frame and parts standardization with the 9mm Gen4 guns-in the 9mm Gen4s, the most desirable feature is the adjustable backstrap, and it just made manufacturing sense to concurrently standardize the new recoil spring set-up. In 9mm, I doubt that there's going to be all that much of a perceptable difference in recoil between the current single flat-spring recoil assembly and the new Gen4 set-up-but I've been wrong before, and I haven't had an opportunity yet to fire them side-by-side.

I suspect that we won't see a Gen4 G34/35 until 2011 at the earliest. So if you feel that you need a smaller/adjustable frame in a G34, wait (or get a Gen4 G17 in the interim when they become available). Otherwise, I'd just get a current G34 and call it good.

Best, Jon

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  5. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

My interest in 3rd Gen is just about dead. I might go for a cheap another G26 to have as a replacement if I need it. Or a 2nd Gen G19.

Why buy something that's going to be obsolete?

6. Sol

Sol

I see no other potential benefit by switching to the dual recoil apparatus other then standardization of production, in fact Glock dual recoil springs are notorious for ejecting brass directly back into the face of the shooter.

I'd buy now, you never know when some market variable might arrise making the future purchase impossible, ie..ammo!

7. dsmw5142

dsmw5142 NRA Member

I was kind of wondering how it is going to work with the G34. I have two Gen 3 G34's and a G35 now. I like swapping out my recoil springs and guide rods at will. Factory recoil springs usually suck for USPSA or IDPA.

So I'm not too sure I like the double recoil spring set up. I didn't like it on G27 I owned and sold. I have seen several of them break on different guns when the large spring pops loose. Not exactly a dirt cheap part like on the other Glocks.

I am seriously considering buying another Gen 3 or two to stick in the back of the safe. Of course, if they continue to make the RTF2, and offer that in the G34 with standard guide rod, I'd be fine with that.

8. Range Rat

Range Rat

Don't over-think this. If you want a G34, just go buy one.

9. pleaforwar

pleaforwar

I bought a new G34 a couple of weeks ago and I'm not sweating it. :thumbsup:

10. xray678

xray678

After market companies will figure out a way to build standard recoils systems on Gen 4 guns so you can swap springs. It won't be too hard.

That said, I am buying another 34 to put in the back of the safe.

11. JohnTz

JohnTz

Ordered my G34 today. Should have her home early next week. Thanks for the opinions guys. I am looking forward to this one.

12. MoNsTeR

MoNsTeR

I'm not sure we agree on what this word means.

13. oISHUTupNrocKIo

oISHUTupNrocKIo Glock Lover

Its going to be awhile for a 4th Gen 34... plus I'm not a fan of the 4th Gen. But I'm not going to choose for you, but I'd go 3rd Gen and have some fun now.

14. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

:dunno:

15. mboylan

mboylan

With a G34, you are most likely going to go down to a 15lb or 13lb recoil spring anyway. I wouldn't hold my breath for a Gen 4 anytime soon.

16. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

17. JohnTz

JohnTz

why?

too late anyway I ordered the g34 already

18. armordude

armordude NRA Life Member

Get a G35 so that it can share lunch with your G23:supergrin: and then get the 34 also. You can get the 35 and a 9MM barrel for it and have 2 guns in one.

19. pangloss9

pangloss9

I just bought a Gen4 17 yesterday and, since you're not concerned about the size of the backstrap, I think you made a wise decision. For me the shorter reach to the trigger and the mag release makes a huge difference, but if my hands were a little bigger, the Gen4 wouldn't seem nearly as nice to me as it does now. I have a 2nd gen G17, and I didn't expect to be able to feel as much difference as I do.