Opinions please

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by g30nut, Feb 11, 2020.

1. rock_castle

rock_castle "Give me liberty or give me death!"

I'd be happy with any one of those. If I had to choose then I'd probably choose the Colt....because it's a Colt.

rayzer007 and FullClip like this.
  2. 9mmskng

9mmskng

When going down 1911 path, choose the full size/Gov't models, better balance and more importantly, more reliable! Go with the Colt, or it's a Copy!

3. Terry G

Terry G

I had bad luck with he Ruger 9MM American, but that's only one gun. Colt! IMG_1854.JPG

4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I don't see how that's even a choice: Colt. There's no circumstance where I would even have to consider Ruger over Colt, if they are similar guns and I can afford either.

5. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

Colt. No question!

Green Dragoon likes this.
  6. PattonT

PattonT

I have a LW Commander sized Ruger Night Watchman that has made me happier than I ever thought possible. It was actually the recommendation of a friend that is a diehard Colt fan. I would still like to have a Colt but no complaints with the SR1911.

7. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

I love these threads when a person asks a preference between two brands and posters start throwing around other brands at a much higher price-point. So, OP, out of the two you mentioned, I'd go with a Wilson or a Baer. Just kidding.

I'd go Colt and as others have said, I go with a steel frame, even as a carry gun. FWIW, I RSO at monthly matches and I see a LOT of people with newer Colts. They've come a long, long way since their infamous days of poor quality. These guns just run. I see many more, expensive, higher-end brands that competitors have issues with .

8. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

The lightweight commander is MUCH better for carry. I understand why people are saying to buy steel but I reccomend buying the lwc for carry. It shoots great. Recoil is not an issue and you probably won't shoot enough to crack it or wear it out in it's lifetime unless you are a competitive shooter.

Down the road buy a steel one if you train a lot. If money is an issue just buy a cheap ria or something you can shoot the hell out of.

No matter what, when you buy your first 1911 variant more will follow. Same addiction traits as when you buy your first caliber Glock.

Either way I must keep saying get a Colt.

g30nut and PattonT like this.
  9. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

dbuck47 and PattonT like this.
  10. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

I like Springfield too over Ruger. By a long shot. I forget what Springfield's new price-point model is, but it is a lot of gun for a little money and it would make a good "base" gun for future upgrades.

dbuck47, g30nut and 'Ol Grandad like this.
  11. hvyhawler

hvyhawler

I have a Sig traditional compact stainless. I also carry with an Armour belt and a Sparks VMII copy holster (Stephen Kelly). I love it, but it also gets heavy. My go to carry is an XDs 9mm carried in an HBE OS pro holster with the same belt. It's about 10oz lighter, you don't really realize it's there half of the time. I know my 1911 is there ALL of the time.

12. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

In honor of former member fnfalman, "If it isn't a Colt, it's just a copy."

Personally I would get the original steel frame Colt version in .45 acp but that's just my preference

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

g30nut, Green Dragoon and 1L26 like this.
  13. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

In 1911's, I prefer commander length and I've had a few over the years. My favorite (so far) is my all SS Colt XSE. What puts it on top for me is Colt's trigger guard undercut. After owning the Colt, I won't own a 1911 without the undercut.

happyguy likes this.
  14. Desert Kraut

Desert Kraut

Loved my Ruger SR1911 and it was very reliable. I don't think I would want it for everyday carry though. Just too much weight and size.

15. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

I carried all steel/stainless steel 1911s for years. Still do on occaison. I've also carried an ally framed 1911 for a little while, sold it and bought another SS. My BIL carries a lightweight and loves it, but it's all he's ever carried. Some folks like them, some folks don't. Personally, I prefer the balance of an all steel 1911, the extra bit of weight on my hip never bothered me.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  16. OdinIII

OdinIII

I think everyone who is interested in a 1911 will end up with a 5” steel model. That’s why I would just start there and be done with it.

Terry G and STI like this.
  17. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

For carry, Aluminum is preferable. I used to carry a lightweight commander but switched to a Glock 23 which is only a few ounces lighter loaded but at the end of the day every ounce makes a difference. Also, the Colt Defender is a few ounces less than the lightweight Commander.

g30nut and happyguy like this.
  18. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Yeah, the GI. Very nice and not much more than an RIA.

Green Dragoon likes this.
  19. VIS07

VIS07 Never, never, never give up.

My opinion. Colt. Runner up Ruger.

Borg Warner likes this.
  20. Toocool45

Toocool45

A colt lightweight commander would be a supurb carry weapon. But then youd have people telling you that its "cocked'. If it was good enough for Winston Churchill I think it would be good enough.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020