close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Opinions on the Toyota Prius or...?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by WEATHERBY460, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

It is not out yet since even Hyundai is guessing late summer/early fall 2012. The turbo version would change the automotive world if it stayed south of $21K, but at $25K you'll do so much better with a MazdaSpeed 3 or just about anything else. For a Hyundai alone, the Genesis Coupe would be a better choice at $25K. HH

3. zebramochaman

zebramochaman

I sold them when they first came out. They were a pretty good car back then, but do not expect to get the EPA mileage if you are a leadfoot. If you want to max out the milage estimates, you need to drive like your grandma.

4. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

NEVER A PRIUS.

1. Poor Return on Investment.

When they were going for 25k, you could spend 18 k on a Corolla and only get 8 mpg less.

6 yr break even point.

2. Filthy ecological car built on a myth.

The global footprint of the car is enormous. It requires parts made and shipped from around the world.

Copper, in amounts so large Toyota went to vertical integration and bought a huge South American copper mine, is needed for the batteries.

Copper mining is one of the filthiest and most toxic endeavors known to man. The largest Superfund site in this country is a shuttered copper mining operation in MT.

3. High maintenance.

Can/should only be worked on by a Toyota dealer. More expensive, limited response if you break down the middle of nowhere.

Plus, they do emit smug. I wouldn't be caught dead in one.

5. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

The Prius is great if you are in stop and go traffic a lot. The battery gets used until the car goes up to about 5 or 10 miles. After that you're using gas.

I used my moms Prius when I was driving into LA a lot for about a month and was getting about 60 (and sometimes 70ish) miles an hour...I might have gotten more, but I was using the air conditioner.

If you won't be in stop and go traffic, the car will get somewhere between 35 and 50 miles depending on how you drive it and if you use the air conditioner.

Prius' are more than likely better now in regards to mileage...hers was first generation I think.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  6. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

You seriously need to save money on transportation? Just find a late 90's Buick LeSabre in good condition (or equivalent model from Olds, Pontiac, etc) with the bulletproof 3800 Series II V6 engine for under $3000. Replace the serpentine belt & change the oil, and drive it around for five years. Good for 17 city, 27 highway, and 200k miles. Do the math ... bet you make out saving large $$ over buying that Prius.

7. jpa

jpa CLM

Agreed. Ask yourself this question: what kind of mileage will you get when your Prius is turned around in a ditch by a 4x4 lifted Excursion because you were camping out in the passing lane? :tongueout:

8. silentpoet

silentpoet

If you already sort of like the smell of your own farts the Prius is for you. But they are the second leading cause of smug, next to award shows.

Seriously though they are not that good environmentally or economically. I could crunch the numbers depending on miles driven and get a 72 Cadillac to come out ahead. That is not even considering a modern fuel efficient vehicle.

9. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Thats really funny, but I'm not buying that you're regularly seeing over 60 mpg in the prius on the highway. The EPA estimate is 51 in the city and 48 highway.

I belong to a website devoted to tracking mileage, and there are 870 toyota prius's. The average for the 011's is 47.4, 010's 47, 09's 45.5, 08's 44.9, 07's 45.6, 06's 44.3, 05's 44.4 And there are only 3 vehicles averaging over 60 MPG.

And the kicker is, in the majority of those cars, the break down is generally 60+% highway driving.

The majority of those cars, aren't even seeing the estimated EPA average for highway driving. If your mom is actually seeing 75+ mpg she must have a one and only Prius. Or more likely, its a limited MPG over a short span. I can, on a specific route 75-80 mile route, pull down 65+ MPG on winter diesel running my larger studded snow tires. Because its mostly down hill, where I can let my car idle in neutral while I steer. But it doesn't mean I can go around saying my car gets a legitimate 65 mpg.....

Where as there are 2384 VW Jetta TDI's with 464 of the cars averaging 45 mpg or better, and 3 cars averaging over 61 mpg. And the kicker is, most of those cars are much closer to 60-65% city driving.

While the prius averages better mileage than the TDI in the city, I wouldn't say its "much" better than the TDI, at roughly 5-6 mpg. And the tables turn on the highway, as the TDI will close that gap, and if the speed stays below 65 mpg, the TDI will generally best the Prius by 3-4 mpg after it passes the 50 mpg mark on summer diesel. (or atleast it will with the two I work with)

You could also consider the price point, the Prius V, comprably loaded to the TDI VW, will cost about 36K or 33 for the standard Prius(per toyota builder, vs the 29 of the VW Golf)

I can buy a whole lot of gas for that 4-7K difference. Not to mention the difference in payments etc. I got my Golf for 28.5 out the door, not including my service package or second set of rims and tires.

I'd also greatly challenge your comment about the reliability issues of the VW.

But I will agree, the fuel costs more, and if you live in a northern climate, you get to deal with the wonderful winter diesel that cuts about 5-6 mpg out of your engine.

Last thing to consider is that while the new Prius is roughly the size of the Jetta, both the Golf and the Passat offer more room than the Prius, while still getting nearly the same mileage in the city, better mileage on the highway, and better performance all around, and cheaper price.

10. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild

My girlfriend owns a Prius and I'm sorry but contrary to popular belief not everyone buys a Prius to save the planet. She got hers because it gets great gas mileage and it's a great little car.

I used to feel ashamed when I drove it around (I always drive when we go anywhere) but I quickly learned to not care. If someone wants to mess with me thinking I'm a tree hugging hippie then they will be sorely mistaken.

People can knock them all they want, but if they were getting 50 MPG then I bet they could get over the initial shame on their manhood. Getting 50 MPG when gas prices are so high and unstable is a good thing.

11. SSNimrod

SSNimrod

I'm guessing you don't drive the Long Island Expressway, the Kennedy Expressway, or I5 in rush hour? :faint:

12. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

And I have the Excursion to do it! Some of us need larger trucks to run our businesses so I drive what I own and is paid for. You can buy a lot of gas for $25,000 or more even these days and save the environment. Funny....my V10 is a pretty clean engine according to EPA standards at 10mpg! I only drive it a few days a week. We won a $10,000 Geo in 1990 that got 40mpg and was comfortable and the engine went 200,000 with just oil changes & gas. I guess we've stepped backwards a bit, Mike.

13. HexHead

HexHead

My wife just a got a 2011 Prius a couple of weeks ago. First time she had to fill it up, she got 47.3 mpg. The Rabbit she traded was getting 26 mpg doing the same driving. With incentives and rebate, we paid around $22,500 for it, and interior room wise, it's considered a mid-sized car. It's a lot more comfortable and roomy than her VW was. Also the quietest and smoothest riding car I've ever been in. You never feel the CVT transmission shift under normal driving and the transitions to/from gas power are completely seamless. You really need to look at the dash indicators to know if your using the gas engine.
    We also looked at a 2012 VW Golf TDi. The EPA numbers were about 30/40.

I used to have a 2003 Golf TDI, it used to get about 40 in the city and I'd gotten 50mpg on highway. But back then, diesel was cheaper than regular, not higher than premium like it is now. The damn low sulfur diesel to satisfy CA really screwed with the advantages of owning a diesel.

I was driving her Prius last night, at 70+ on cruise control, the meter was still showing 50 mpg.

And I've already ordered her NRA Life Member license plate frame for it.

14. powder86

powder86 SHOOT SAFE!

exactly! prius is crap! the pollution put into the air from the mining to build the lithium batteries is far worse than a lifetime of fuel consumption from a regular car. people think theyre being good for the environment and they're actually making it worse. dummies.
    get a european diesel. equal or better MPG. VW Jetta's a good call. My sis in law has one. 50 mpg!
    prius is 45ish mpg.
    and if you can afford to import a car right from europe, then you can find 5 seater cars that averages between 70 and 90 mpg easily.

15. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

I remember in elementary school, I hated girls. They were different. They were girly. They smelled all flowery. I didn't want my friends to see me with one.
    Then I grew up a bit.

I remember when the Prius first came out. I hated it. They were different. They were girly.....

See where I'm going with this?

16. WEATHERBY460

WEATHERBY460

any thoughts on the elantra?

17. HexHead

HexHead

First of all, the Prius doesn't use lithium batteries. NmH.
    Your mileage for her Jetta are BS. I used to have a TDI, and the newer ones don't get that kind of mileage. I could get 50 on the highway with the older engine and a stick, but nowhere near that around town. More like 40, where the Prius gets 50.

And just try and import a car that doesn't meet NHTSA rules. HAHAHAHAHA

18. sputnik767

sputnik767

BS on all points.

A comparably-equipped Corolla is pushing $20k and gets 34 mpg. A new Prius is about $5k more but gets around 60 mpg (as verified by my mom's 2010 Prius). That's 26 mpg better, and at $4 per gallon it's a huge difference. My dad's 2008 Civic gets about 35, so don't tell me that the corolla can get better.

Couldn't care less about global footprint.

Car can be worked on by anyone, as long as it does not involve the hybrid system. My dad does his own oil changes for my mom's 2010 Prius, and the car has not needed anything else.

Absolutely low maintenance, other than oil changes, everything else is pretty much lifetime fluids. Flushing the coolant is easy when necessary, and replacing brakes is easy as well.

Certainly the Prius is not for everyone, but don't go around spreading misinformation when you have no actual experience. It doesn't help people who are actually considering the car.

19. HexHead

HexHead

Have you forgotten where you are? That's SOP around here.

If it wasn't for all the jumping to conclusions, nobody here would get any exercise.

20. sputnik767

sputnik767

Had a 1995 Bonneville with the so-called "bulletproof" Series II. Engine was dead by 100k, burning a quart of oil every 500 miles. Not to mention the multitudes of other problems the car had, including electrical issues. Repairs cost more that the car itself, and we didn't even touch the engine or electrical system. It's a POS just like every car GM has made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.