close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Opinions on the Springfield Professional.

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Blaster, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

I'm thinking about getting a Springfield Professional. I would like to hear any thought on this pistol.

2. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

Great 1911, I just received my second one recently.

The best thing you could do is look at a TRP to get a general feel. Some people hate the non highcut front strap and 20lpi checkering, the TRP would have both these features. The Pro will feel different in some areas but the TRP at least gives you an idea.

I'm not impressed with the wear resistance of the Black-T finish, but that's just me too. I don't baby my carry pistols, but I don't abuse them either.

They build them tight so some rounds downrange will be in order, but I would shoot any new pistol the same so to me it is a moot point.

Unless you're lucky and find one in stock, or are willing to pay more, expect a long wait. I waited close to 16 months for mine.

ETA - Here is a bland report I did on mine.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1160243

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010

3. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Tough to find a significantly better 1911.

4. MD357

MD357

Great platform from the best factory custom shop out there. At their given current price point and recent spec changes I'm not thinking they are a great deal to civilians but that's just me. However, I've been keeping my eye open for a deal on a used one for some time now. Especially a...... :close your eyes Bac:...... railed version.

5. RetailNinja

RetailNinja

Not a fan of 20lpi or a non undercut trigger guard...IMO

For the money and the wait, I'd rather have a Baer SRP

6. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I agree completely, and this alone is the reason I have passed up buying a Pro on two occasions. These are the only complaints I have though, and the Pro is a fantastic 1911 for a guy who has a taste for these features.

7. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

I have shot them and love them but prefer different specs on my 1911's so it's not on my must have list..

If you like a non undercut trigger gaurd and very nice 20lpI checkering it may be for you Tip: they are a screaming deal used.....saw one locally for 1650.. owner was selling to by a NOVESKE ar during the Obama gun stimulus sales scare.

8. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

OH well, there was a Pro on Guns America but it's gone now.

I just spent too much time thinking about it. Mostly because the specs were not quite what I was looking for.

I handled a TRP yesterday and it felt nice. However the 20 lpi checkering did feel a little aggressive I think if I had a choice I would pick 25 lpi. Trying some presentations from the ready position with the TRP revealed my experience with Glocks. The TRP with a flat mainspring consistently pointed low. I had to readjust my wrist to bring the front sight up and into the notch.

I do like the reputation of the Professional but in a perfect world I would outfit it with a arched main spring housing and a short trigger. Also ditch the Novak sites and go with Heinie ledge sites or the 10-8 site. I just do not like the Novak rear site. Then to top it off I would replace the Black-T with Ion Bond DLC.

9. MD357

MD357

FWIW, the Springfield custom shop does really nice work. Sounds like you just need to either order what you want built OR send them a base gun. You will almost certainly get back before you would if you ordered a Pro.

10. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Last I knew the SA Custom Carry was around $1600-1700. It has the same build quality as the PRO with fewer features such as the Black T finish, ambi safety, mags and checkering. When I bought my Baer the Custom Carry was one of my other choices but I couldn't find one in stock. Very few 1911s share the same universal popularity/acceptance as the PRO. I always thought it was odd that some say the Baers are overly tight in one breath yet recommend the PRO in another. :dunno:

11. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

:agree:

I am ironing out the final details for a build I'm going to have them do. They are very flexible on options, I'm using Ed Brown parts, C&S, Kart, etc with no trouble. I don't know if the other "custom" shops are that flexible.

The wait on the other hand might be close to the Pro's. I have a quote of 10-12 months for my build. Some dealers already have Pro's on order so you could get lucky and have a shorter wait.

12. bac1023

bac1023

I love Springfield Custom. I don't own a Pro, but I do own a TGO1 and love it.

I feel its one of my very best 1911s. :)

[​IMG]

13. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

This may not apply to this pistol, but doesn't it bother anyone that Springfield 1911's are stamped "Made in Brazil?" Also, weren't XD's initially made in Croatia?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

14. bac1023

bac1023

I believe all of Springfield frames and slides are made in Brazil from IMBEL steel, which is very good quality. The lower end Springfield 1911s are built in Brazil.

The Pro certainly isn't.

It would bother me if a $2500 1911 was built in Brazil, but the models that are built in Brazil don't bother me in the least.

15. txgolfer45

txgolfer45

Mine is stamped Geneseo, IL. Last I checked, that is in the USA!

16. bac1023

bac1023

Its just the GI, MilSpec, and some Loaded models that are built in Brazil.

17. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

A few of them are finished in the states and not stamped Made in Brazil.

18. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Here is what I was referring to regarding the XD's origions:

The HS2000 was adopted by the Croatian military and law enforcement as a standard issue sidearm and continues to fill that role today.[citation needed] The pistol was initially exported to the US market by Intrac and distributed by HSAmerica who sold the pistol in 9 mm as the HS2000.[4]

In 2002, Springfield Armory, Inc. negotiated licensing rights to the US market, and changed the name to the XD-9 (X-treme Duty 9x19mm).

-Source: Wikipedia

19. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

NM prefix on serial number IIRC.

20. bac1023

bac1023

Very true. :)