Opinions on Suzuki Boulevard M50 (used to B Marauder 800)

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by freakshow10mm, Sep 7, 2005.

1. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Well I am still very new to motorcycles. I have ridden every chance I get since I got my endorsement in July. I am looking at possibilities for a first "real" bike- one that I will ride for many many years; not a learner bike like mine right now (see sig line). Riding my cycle and getting a feel for the roads and turns up here, I think I can accurately judge a good cycle that will give me many years of happy riding, be reliable, easy to handle- not overwhelming at all, and be easy on the wallet, with a decent selection of some basic accessories (saddle bag supports, decent 13-15" windshield, grips; stuff like that).

This is mainly a commuter (work/school) and pleasure cruiser making short trips up to 2 hours. Maybe once or twice a year making the 235mi trip to Green Bay to visit family. Reliability is paramount. Ease of maintainance is also important, as I am not mechanically inclined. I can do basic stuff like bulbs, fluids, tire changing, air filter. Most anything else requires my fiance's dad to help me if he has time or have a shop do it. I get frustrated easily with mechanic stuff and like to throw tools to ease the tension.

Pretty straight forward:
    800cc ( 50 cu.in.) or less (don't need anything more for its purpose)
    At least 40mpg (needs to be at least double what my truck gets)
    Less than 550-ish dry weight (low speed manueverability/easier to handle)
    Shaft drive
    Blue as a factory color (my favorite)
    Less than $7000 (pretty firm on that requirement)

I will get new wheels if I get the M50, as I think the blacked out wheels are a little on the ugly side. The rest of the bike is done up nice with a good balance of chrome and blacked out engine.

I was torn between the Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom (or 650 even) and the Honda Shadow Sabre for a while. The Honda is a little too heavy and costs more than my limit and so is the Yamaha 1100, although the 650 is kinda cool, but it might lack the power for passing and climbing hills. The 650 has the same HP as my bike now, but is almost 100# heavier and I feel like I am at the threshold of the lowest I want to go as far as power with my bike's power: 40HP@9000rpm with a 9500rpm red (65mph in 6th gear 5400rpm).

It seems as though the M50 fits the bill the best. 805cc motor, 5 speed shaft final, 540# dry, and reports of 55-60mpg on different model (C50T) with same exact engine. Bonus is it has Suzuki's dual throttle electronic fuel injection. Offered in Blue for $6749 MSRP for 2005 model.

There was a road test done in last month's Rider magazine. My fiance threw it out before I had a chance to read the article and can't find it online. I will have to search for it some more.

Anyone have one or rode one before? It used to be known as the Marauder 800 before Suzuki unleashed the Blvd brand name. Anyone know if this is a good buy? Thanks for your help.

[​IMG]

2. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

All the cycle mags love it. The two people I know that got them in(05) are crazy abut them. As far as the wheels If you cannot stand black, have them powder coated silver or any color you want to off set the all black look.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Well, it looks good and it has shaft drive, so that will take care of the regular chain lubing maintenance.

I also concur about powder coating the wheels to match. I gotta do that on my Aprilia. Stupid Aprilia decided to put red wheels with black bikes and black wheels with red bikes. Whoever thought up that idea oughtta be shot!

4. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Thanks guys. I am really liking this bike the more I look at it. I was thinking of powder coating the wheels to match the bike. Don't know for sure what I want really. There are so many possibilities and combinations. Don't know if I just want plain old chrome spokes or solid on the rear and wire on the front or both solid. I have seen both on other cycles and it can look pretty good depending on the bike. I wish there was a site like tirerack.com for cycles that showed what the wheels would look like on my model.

Hopefully there is a 2005 model sitting around somewhere close in the spring so I can save some more money that way. I think I will have to call up Rider Mag and see if I can get last month's issue again, with their review of the M50.

Ride safe.

5. crazydave

crazydave

I believe the bike in question used to be the Intruder. There is a wealth of info for it at www.intruderalert.com

I have the 1400 and love it, the 800's are said to be a little quicker.

Dave

Oops, never mind I see you posted M not the C..info still there tho.