close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Opinions on Sig P238?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Cheseldine, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

[​IMG]

I have seen a few of you guys mentioning that you carry a Sig P238 and from using the search feature for the most part you guys seem to be satisfied with them.

I currently have a G19 but I am strongly considering getting something smaller for t-shirt and shorts weather, and I really like the looks of the P238.

Money really isn't a concern, and I'd like something with a metal frame, also the mini 1911 look appeals to me. So for those of you that own one, is the $500 or so worth it? I am also curious how the trigger is on such a small gun. Are they reliable, and do you feel comfortable carrying this piece in condition 1? I have heard there was a recall on them, is this an issue I should look out for?

Anyway thanks for any info,

Nathan

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  2. JohnHoliday

JohnHoliday

I like it, but if you get one, I would not carry it before it shoots at least 100 rounds of the carry ammo through it flawlessly.

380 ammo can be picky, mine would not shoot Federal Hollowpoints through it without jamming every 3 rounds. Gold Dots work fine.

Is it worth the money? I like it, but really have no use for one, since I have no problem CC a compact glock all day.

However, the Min 1911 does look good :p

The trigger is great, I like it a lot better then most smaller guns. A short pull.

I had to send mine back for the safety recall, but never had any issues with that, and I fell safe carrying it condition 1.

All in all, it looks great, and is a nice gun to have, but not amazing. If heard a lot of people had issues jamming, I only had issues with select hollowpoints, but I prefer a gun where I have had no issues at all with.

If you can carry a G26, I would recommend that. I personally feel a lot better with 9mm, then 380, but the G26 isn't really a pocket pistol. If you are looking for something small, the P238 is a good gun, but if you are able to carry something larger, I would go with the G26.

Whatever you choose, best of luck!

3. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

I'll have to keep the ammo thing in mind, thanks for your review. I really do want something I can pocket carry and just kind of throw in my pocket on campus (I can legally carry here in CO) and the G26 is a little too large.

Is there anything I should look for in the store when I am looking over the gun? I really would like it to be reliable, even if I have to take it to my local smith for a little work...

4. tydefan05

tydefan05

If I had to do it all over again, I'd make the same purchase. In winter/fall clothing I can conceal my G30 fairly easily. In the warmer months it's a challenge; even with some of the more creative rigs out there. (I'm only 5' 8").

Mine was not one of the recall serial numbers so I had no issues there. The trigger pull, being SA, is actually quite smooth. Being DA Glock guy I wasn't sure what to think but it was an easy transition.

All that aside, I still struggle with carrying a .380. I've carried 45 ACP for so long dropping down to .380 worries me. I'm accepting the math that .380 is indeed greater than 0. However, I am already shopping for a G26 and have added my name to the long list of Glock owners requesting a single stack 9mm.

I know this probably doesn't help a lot...feel free to ask any more questions or PM me with specifics.

To address the other issue of condition of carry. I bought a D.M. Bullard pocket holster and feel comfortable with condition 1 carry because it covers the trigger, safe, and hammer. Also, it looks great :) .

I hope your search for the right gun doesn't turn into an obsession like it has for me (I'm going broke but having fun doing it).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  5. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

I really like this gun. I didn't buy one but looked very closely at it and a few others like it. Ended up buying a Ruger LCP since I was looking for something less expensive but a week later wished I had got the Sig.

6. tydefan05

tydefan05

You should sell me your 27 (at a deeeeeeeeeeep discount) and put the LCP on gunbroker and you'll have enough money. :rofl: :wavey:

7. bac1023

bac1023

I'm not a big fan of the P238. :dunno:

I love the P232 though. :supergrin:

8. tydefan05

tydefan05

Any particular reason why you don't like it, or just not a fan?

9. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

Ya any examples of why you aren't a fan?

I have heard great things about Sig and am interested in trying their mouse gun as it greatly appeals to me as a mini 1911.

10. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

I don't own a P238, but it does look like a quality offering to me.

My thoughts are a single action isn't the best action for ccw.

To my way of thinking, SIG is merely catering to a small segment of the shooting public who view a 1911 style ccw as having the "coolness factor". Since ultimate accuracy isn't really much of the ccw equation, it would be appropriate to challenge the notion that a single action on a small hide-out gun of this type doesn't introduce a liability that is non-existent with DAO, or SA/DA type actions.

Gun engineering has come a long ways, and it just seems like a single action on a gun of this type, is taking progress a step backwards.

hog

11. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

If you are used to carrying in condition one it becomes almost second nature to take off the safety and fire without thinking about it. I do not see how this makes a gun unsuitable for concealed carry. Does this mean that no 1911 style pistol is suitable for carry?

12. LilWolfess

LilWolfess

With respect towards hogship's points up there, I disagree with him slightly.

It really depends on the person as far as which makes for better concealed carry, SA versus DA.

Without touching the .380 vs bigger bore issue, I will argue that the 238 would make a great little carry piece for the purposes the OP wanted it for. I picked one up for the same reason he's thinking of. I have a G26, and with my figure, it's pretty doggone hard to conceal that in the summer. It's possible, but not that comfortable.

I also picked the 238 because I really don't like the trigger pull on the Keltecs and Rugers. Nor can I even get a decent grip on them with my tiny female paws. They may be super concealable, and you may not have to worry about the "remember the safety" issue, but you can't put +P ammo through them as you can with the 238. It just has a far more substantial feel, as I rather like my guns to feel like guns, and not be mistaken for a cell phone.

Here I'll put in the fact that I am glad those that own the Keltecs and Rugers have had good luck with them. I won't diss on them too badly, I just don't like the way they feel.

The single action difference is only a matter of training, and developing muscle memory. I haven't carried my Sig yet due to two factors: 1 - I haven't trained with it enough, and 2 - I can't get ahold of a decent holster in the right size. I know more than a few people who carry the 1911 as their main SD weapon, having had to draw on people, they have said, and have shown me that it's no big deal to flip off the safety, or pull back the hammer again incase of a failure to fire (I've only had this happen once - cheap ammo's fault, but went on the second go around).

It's all in how you train.

I really love my Sig. It will be great to have a carry piece that I can manage to conceal in the summer. It's a blast to shoot, and is far more accurate than I'll ever be (I'm only human).

13. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

nathanours......

You have mistaken my meaning entirely.

I never suggested a SA is unsuitable for ccw......but, I did definitely suggest that there are other actions that are MORE suitable for that purpose.

I will agree that there is nothing wrong at all with single action for ccw purpose. My only comment is those who do, will need to refine their degree of competence to a higher level than if they had chosen something like a Glock, or a Beretta.

If the skill level isn't refined, then a liability does indeed exist that would not otherwise be so. This could translate into deadly consequences, but is not necessarily a given.

None of this would even be a consideration, if the subject excluded the single action design.....and, that's exactly why it isn't as popular a choice for the majority of current production firearms.

hog

14. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

It's real hard for me to be excited about anything made in Exeter...I have no personal experience with them but there are a lot of horror stories.

15. 45caldan

45caldan

I like my P238 and pocket carry it almost daily. I feel its quality of build is head and shoulders above all the recent pocket .380s being sold. It also is softer shooting than them as well as easier to hit with being SA.

16. Lester R. Britton

Lester R. Britton

I have a 238 exactly like the one pictured. I traded my KelTec P3!T and a Bersa Thunder + cash and have never regretted the transaction. The keltec was a good gun and I never had a problem with it but it never felt right. It was as though Littlle Tykes made it. The 238 has never in anyway been a problem and I carry it regardless if I'm carrying a larger caliber gun. For the purpose you mentioned it's a perfect gun with a pocket holster. Doesn't "print" at all. Also, you can use Colt Mustang magazines and they work perfectly plus they carry an extra round. It is also a good range gun. It's fun to shoot whereas the KelTec wasn't fun at all. I consider this purchase one of the better ones that I have made. You'll not regret it.

17. mickdundie

mickdundie

I bought a Sig P238 only to find some design problems that led me to get rid of it before they got worse, and it had to be sent in for repair. I've heard horror storys of working with Sig CS and I didn't want to deal with that!

FYI I purchased this gun in Dec 2009. Manufactured in Nov 2009

First off the concept and shoot-ability of the gun are very nice. Great trigger...fast as a snake. Fit and finish are good and it appears to be a very nice weapon...until you take it to the range and then the self destruction begins.

The magazine hits the bottom of the feed ramp causing two problems.
    (1) A serious gouge will begin on the bottom of the feed ramp where they collide during slide cycle.
    (2) The barrel cannot float with the magazine pushing against it and this will cause abnormal wear on the top of the barrel where the slide rubs it...again during firing and slide movement.
    This can be cured by cutting a tad bit of material off the front of the magazine (and I mean just a little) It will keep the feed ramp from being damaged and the barrel wear will stop. But this should have been caught and fixed before the gun was ever sold...it's a real problem and a simple fix!

And another thing that is unacceptable to me is the recoil spring (per owners manual) needs to be replaced after 1500 rounds WTF. I think a recoil spring should last a few more rounds than 1500...but that's just me. Another design flaw???

Edit: The recoil spring where it contacts the barrel will damage the barrel after a few rounds.. Mine was showing serious wear after about 50 rounds...Not Good

I wasn't impressed. I will hold out on another gun manufacturer to truly do their homework before selling to the public. Perhaps Bersa or DB will offer a 9mm shortly in a pocket pistol. I have heard many times on the interweb that it's in the works. I just hope it's true.

Maybe I'll pic up a Kel Tec P3AT...even though they feel like a cheap toy. I have heard that they are reliable and won't self destruct after a few range trips

Mick:thumbsup:

18. 45caldan

45caldan

I have heard early mags had problems (perhaps too tall?) but mine absolutely does NOT contact the feed ramp. Also, those familiar with short barreled autos know 1500 rounds is a LOT (my Colt Defender gets them @ 800 rds) between spring changes. I guess some of the early P238s had bugs but that also is not unheard of with new models. Ayways, not all of us P238 owners are having problems.
    If you think the Kel-Tec is a better built gun....I....just don't know WHAT to say....

19. Lester R. Britton

Lester R. Britton

I have not had one singel problem with mine as far a operations are concerned. Mine has the nite glow sites and one of them wasn't working. I called Sig CS and they sent me via e-mail a return authorization pre-paid. I sent it and it took less than one week to get it fixed and returned. As far as I am conerned their CS is superb. No complaints. Also, as mentioned, I have never, ever had a malfunction of any kind and I used both the Sig supplied magazine and a Colt Mustang magazine and they both work perfectly. I have had Beretta lemons and Wather PPK/S lemons. Perhaps your was just one of those thing.

20. bigjohninva

bigjohninva

i had a little burr or peening at the bottom right on the feed ramp.
    i just buffed it down with a dremel, and it hasnt come back. i have over 400 rounds thru it. its been perfect. i trust it for ccw.

way better than my kel-tec, less recoil and accurate. great sights. its the g-27 or the p-238 for ccw. i trust both of them.