close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Opinions on "Res-Q-Me" tool

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by The Pontificator, Jul 27, 2006.

1. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

I was thinking about buying one of these for the car:

[​IMG]

comes on a keychain and contains a sealtbelt cutter and a spring loaded "spike" to shatter auto glass. Price is $10 at Botach...and probably a lot of other places.

Is this OK? Is there something better for the same price or a little more?

2. The Pontificator

3. FirNaTine

FirNaTine

What exactly are you looking for... In other words self extrication or are you using this if you are on scene prior to Fire / EMS arrival?

4. FirNaTine

FirNaTine

I looked into the site. If you have nothing now it looks like an easy way to have a seat belt cutter and a window punch handy.

If you plan to use this regularly you maybe dissapointed. It looks like they want you to replace it every time you cut a belt with it.

I keep a seperate window punch and several cutting tools handy. I carry a super leatherman with a serrated sheepsfoot blade and a separate gerber pocket knife as well as shears on every unit. The advantage of a sheepsfoot blade is the end is rounded off so you are much less likely to injure someone working in close proximity to skin with it. I prefer that I can use the knife for things other than belts. A seat belt cutter can do its job well, but it is rather limited in what it can be used for.

For the window punch, it looks okay. I carry a metal one that I think is more durable, but then again I generally work at a busy Fire / EMS station. If you are using the window punch be careful, tempered glass produces many small pieces that can knick you. Its not the major cuts you see with plate glass, but I dont like having open cuts on my hands in my line of work.

I will keep an eye on this thread if you have any more questions about this kind of stuff or how to use it.

5. The Pontificator

This is just for self-extraction

6. FirNaTine

FirNaTine

Looks like it would satisfy your needs then. Just keep it secure, so if you are in an accident, upside down, what have you its accessible but unable to be thrown around.

7. FirNaTine

FirNaTine

Oh, and heres to hoping you never have to use it :beer:

8. lexmedic157

lexmedic157 Citizen

I have one, actually several, and have used it several times to break windows and cut seatbelts. The thing about cutting seatbelt is that you have to go at an angle not straight across. It holds up pretty well, and is pretty handy.

I ended up get one for all my rescue squad members.

9. HPVFD7233

HPVFD7233

I carry a Smith & Wesson search and rescue tool.
    works well on just about anything. Once handed it to another firefighter to use freeing a vic. in a mva first word was " damn ", after cutting seat belt and freeing vic. was where can i get one!
    I know it cost more but more uses and dont have to worry about the small blade cover , and its easy to open and use with fire gloves.
    tried to place pic here but try web site.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...toreId=10001&catalogId=10001&categoryId=30801

10. MBrooks

MBrooks

11. obxprnstar

obxprnstar Goth Lover

Ponti, I know you are a constable or some other kind of LEO in SC, so this could have benifits in the line of duty as well.

If I didn't carry it on my keychain, at the least I would keep it in my door or someplace I could EASILY get to it. Looks cool and pretty compact too.

12. steven andrews

steven andrews

They are handy little tools.
    I keep one attached to my firejacket. The glass punch works well and the safety blade is handy for cutting clothing and line.

In fact I used mine yesterday to free a pigeon that has got entangled in some nylon netting.

We had to hump a 9 metre ladder up an external staircase onto a flat roof, so I was a bit hot and breathing through my mouth. Working at the head of the ladder, under the pigeon, snipping the nylon net with my ResQMe - the pigeon pooed...into my open mouth ..and straight down my throat. I have learned from that mistake!

I bought my ResQMe from Jazebra.com
    I use a Spyderco Endura for the bigger cutting jobs.

13. D25

D25 The Quick

Oh no! Now we are going to have to wear SCBA for all pigeon rescues. :banana:

14. MikeLadner

MikeLadner DILLIGAFF?

After reading Ponti's original post I decided to try out these little tools. I bought one, brought it home and tried it out (I have 4 scrap cars that I bought after Katrina for real cheap that I'v been using for target practice, one of the big benifits of living in the country).
    Anyhow. The window punch works better than any I have ever used, and the seatbelt cutter works really well. I let my wife try it out and she was able to bust a window and cut a belt with great ease.

So I bought 4 more. One I carry with me now on duty.

Anyone out there that's interested in this little tools, TRY ONE, you will be highly impressed.

15. chrisemt

chrisemt

I am partial to the Life Hammer as well as the ResQMe. The life hammer is bigger, removes a window like nobody's buisness, and I feel I would have a better grip on it when my fine motor skills go out the window. (no pun intended)

The FD my medic unit is stationed at uses Life Hammers in the interim while they have a bunch of GlassMasters on order.

-Chris