Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so heres the deal, I am currently a Glock shooter but I have been shooting a lot of 1911's lately (Wilson, Sig, Kimber Custom II, and Springfield) and even after 6000 + rounds through my G17 Gen4 I still shoot all the 1911's better. So I am going to be buying a Kimber when I get my taxes back, I would look at other brands but I get a 50% discount on Kimber through my employer. I was trying to decided if I should buy a base model Kimber Custom II and then modify it from there, or should I just go all out and buy a Kimber Gold Combat? This gun will be a every day carry gun along with an IDPA gun and a range buddy for my G17 so it will be heavily used.

·
JAFO
14,050 Posts
I really like Kimbers but I also think you would be much better off getting a Custom II and replacing some of the small parts after you put some rounds through it.

·
Banned
18,888 Posts
I think they're awesome. I had the stainless bull barrel version on order for over 6 months, then told them to cancel or sell it to someone else, IF it ever came in. Actually, I told them to call me if it ever came in. Never have heard from them. :dunno:If you can find one, jump on it.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
The GC is one of Kimber's best made guns, but i would still go another route. Like TRP or STI Lawman or Trojan. I believe they are better made guns for the price point. I am not a huge Kimber fan due to negative personal experiences of QC and CS as well from a retailing standpoint.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I almost forgot about the Super Match thanks for the reminder. Also I have heard of the long wait times but hopefully my employer may have a bit of pull to push an order through quickly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How will the finish on the slide hold up to being carried IWB every day? Also I would put night sights on what ever gun I end up with so would that hurt the accuracy of the super match?

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Gold Combats are nice indeed as are the Super Matches. I would prefer either one over the base model Baer 1911s myself. I would take a Baer SuperTac or SRP over the Kimber. 50% a Gold Combat is a no brainier IMO.

·
Registered
9,047 Posts
I hate adjustable sights for a carry gun. My original series Gold Combat is the best shooting gun I've ever owned, including Baers, Wilsons, and my sweet Ed Brown.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I really like Kimbers but I also think you would be much better off getting a Custom II and replacing some of the small parts after you put some rounds through it.
This. There is no difference in parts from a Custom II to a "Supermatch" it's all fluff and marketing.

·
Registered
9,047 Posts
They snag on my clothes and scratch my side. Smooth combat sights are perfect, unless you're doing bullseye competitions.

·
NRA Life Member
1,750 Posts
If you want a high end Kimber, go for the Super Match. Its the best 1911 they build.

If you get 50% off, it will be an outstanding value.
+1. I would say the same thing.

This. There is no difference in parts from a Custom II to a "Supermatch" it's all fluff and marketing.
Without doing any research.. I know at a minimum the barrel is different. The super match II comes with a stainless barrel, most Kimbers use carbon steel left in white.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
No, but there is a difference in fitting. ;)
Yeah, uh huh from the Kimber "Custom Shop"? :cool: To be honest, the one thing Kimbers have going for them IMO is that their stock guns are well fitted in terms of frame and slide and barrel. I've never seen a significant difference in their higher end guns.... or enough that would warrant twice the price.

Without doing any research.. I know at a minimum the barrel is different. The super match II comes with a stainless barrel, most Kimbers use carbon steel left in white.
Yep and if you do a little more research they probably did this for corrosion issues, not performance. How about their ignition sets? Non-mim thumb safety?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im going to be calling Kimber today to see how long it usually takes for them to send a gun to one of their dealers and if there is much of a difference when sending a custom shop gun. Also which gun I buy will depend on how much I get back on my tax return. I can always get rid of one of my shotguns that I never use to make up the difference between the Custom and the Gold Combat. The adjustable sights and the slide finish of the Super Match make me nervous since I will be carrying it everyday.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Im going to be calling Kimber today to see how long it usually takes for them to send a gun to one of their dealers and if there is much of a difference when sending a custom shop gun. Also which gun I buy will depend on how much I get back on my tax return. I can always get rid of one of my shotguns that I never use to make up the difference between the Custom and the Gold Combat. The adjustable sights and the slide finish of the Super Match make me nervous since I will be carrying it everyday.
Depending on your body type make sure you try carrying a gun with adj before you buy, it's not a pleasant experience for some including me, others it's just fine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts