close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Opinions on Kimber Gold Combat

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by G17Gen4, Jan 27, 2011.

1. G17Gen4

G17Gen4

Ok so heres the deal, I am currently a Glock shooter but I have been shooting a lot of 1911's lately (Wilson, Sig, Kimber Custom II, and Springfield) and even after 6000 + rounds through my G17 Gen4 I still shoot all the 1911's better. So I am going to be buying a Kimber when I get my taxes back, I would look at other brands but I get a 50% discount on Kimber through my employer. I was trying to decided if I should buy a base model Kimber Custom II and then modify it from there, or should I just go all out and buy a Kimber Gold Combat? This gun will be a every day carry gun along with an IDPA gun and a range buddy for my G17 so it will be heavily used.

2. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I really like Kimbers but I also think you would be much better off getting a Custom II and replacing some of the small parts after you put some rounds through it.

3. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I think they're awesome. I had the stainless bull barrel version on order for over 6 months, then told them to cancel or sell it to someone else, IF it ever came in. Actually, I told them to call me if it ever came in. Never have heard from them. :dunno:If you can find one, jump on it.

4. rsxr22

rsxr22

The GC is one of Kimber's best made guns, but i would still go another route. Like TRP or STI Lawman or Trojan. I believe they are better made guns for the price point. I am not a huge Kimber fan due to negative personal experiences of QC and CS as well from a retailing standpoint.

5. bac1023

bac1023

If you want a high end Kimber, go for the Super Match. Its the best 1911 they build.

If you get 50% off, it will be an outstanding value.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  6. G17Gen4

G17Gen4

I almost forgot about the Super Match thanks for the reminder. Also I have heard of the long wait times but hopefully my employer may have a bit of pull to push an order through quickly.

7. bac1023

bac1023

The Super Match is the only Kimber with an accuracy gaurantee.

I find it a very accurate shooter. :)

8. G17Gen4

G17Gen4

How will the finish on the slide hold up to being carried IWB every day? Also I would put night sights on what ever gun I end up with so would that hurt the accuracy of the super match?

9. Ruggles

Ruggles

Gold Combats are nice indeed as are the Super Matches. I would prefer either one over the base model Baer 1911s myself. I would take a Baer SuperTac or SRP over the Kimber. 50% a Gold Combat is a no brainier IMO.

10. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

I hate adjustable sights for a carry gun. My original series Gold Combat is the best shooting gun I've ever owned, including Baers, Wilsons, and my sweet Ed Brown.

11. MD357

MD357

This. There is no difference in parts from a Custom II to a "Supermatch" it's all fluff and marketing.

12. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

At 50% off..I'd jump on it.

13. Doc8404

Doc8404 Master Chief

why ?

14. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

They snag on my clothes and scratch my side. Smooth combat sights are perfect, unless you're doing bullseye competitions.

15. majette

majette

50% off a gold combat is a great buy. get the RL version

16. bac1023

bac1023

No, but there is a difference in fitting. ;)

17. TheJ

TheJ NRA Life Member Lifetime Member

+1. I would say the same thing.

Without doing any research.. I know at a minimum the barrel is different. The super match II comes with a stainless barrel, most Kimbers use carbon steel left in white.

18. MD357

MD357

Yeah, uh huh from the Kimber "Custom Shop"? :cool: To be honest, the one thing Kimbers have going for them IMO is that their stock guns are well fitted in terms of frame and slide and barrel. I've never seen a significant difference in their higher end guns.... or enough that would warrant twice the price.

Yep and if you do a little more research they probably did this for corrosion issues, not performance. How about their ignition sets? Non-mim thumb safety?

19. G17Gen4

G17Gen4

Im going to be calling Kimber today to see how long it usually takes for them to send a gun to one of their dealers and if there is much of a difference when sending a custom shop gun. Also which gun I buy will depend on how much I get back on my tax return. I can always get rid of one of my shotguns that I never use to make up the difference between the Custom and the Gold Combat. The adjustable sights and the slide finish of the Super Match make me nervous since I will be carrying it everyday.

20. MD357

MD357

Depending on your body type make sure you try carrying a gun with adj before you buy, it's not a pleasant experience for some including me, others it's just fine.