close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

opinions on in-lines and deer guns?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Medford4, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Medford4

Medford4 Hired Gun

I recently sold my 7-30 waters contender to my brother for $400. It was one of those made with the rust-proof finish that you can't get barrels for anymore. Being a poor cop, I'm trying to stretch that $400 to get me 2 guns. A good economical 209 in-line muzzle loader, and a good short to medium range repeater for deer. As for the in-lines, I read in a recent article in my American Rifleman mag that CVA makes good low priced guns. I kinda liked the looks of the Kodiak. I'd appreciate any of ya'lls opinions on in-lines, and a handy little repeater. I've got a Sako .300 mag with a Shepard scope for the far away stuff. I'm wanting something really light and handy for the closer stuff. Thanks

2. noway

noway

my opinions; CVA makes a good model on a budget and gear'd for 1st timers.

Where other mfg have that's makes their better (imho once again), the components in the trigger and barrel exterior and sights. The 1st earlier model CVA where prone to have sights that got loose or knock offed or rusting the striker action.

Now with that said, a Kodiak would be great MZL'er for the budget you have. Also don't froget the pawn shops and newspapers for traditions, T/C,knight,etc... you find alot of these for sale after the season when people don't need them any more.

3. gatorfish

gatorfish

with the new Hornady Leverevolution ammo, the 30-30 lever gun (marlin 336 and others) may be the perfect deer rifle. light, fast handling, fast follow-ups. They can be found used for very little money and new are only $250ish.

4. vafish

vafish

Agree with both above.

CVA makes a decent inline.

I picked up a Navy Arms Country Boy for $89. It's a .50 cal that uses musket caps. Works great with Pyrodex, not so well with 777. A couple of years ago I picked up a TC Thunder Hawk Stainless Steel .54 cal from Cabelas on closeout for $150. IIRC it was $39 from TC for the 209 primer conversion kit.

Look around there are bargins to be found if you are not in a hurry. This time of year lots of folks are still paying off Christmas bills.

5. punkture

punkture

I know a few people that'll do this. Shop around pawn shops for a TC at a good price. Shoot it. If ANYTHING isn't absolutely perfect with it, send it back to TC and they'll replace it free of charge. One guy I know bought a TC Hawken and later found a hairline fracture in the stock. TC told him to keep it and sent him a brand new one. Another guy had a .54 TC Renegade that started shooting a bit inaccurately. Sent the barrel back to TC who replaced it free of charge. When you buy a TC, you are buying a gun for life and you can pick one up at a pawnshop for next to nothing - or at least you can around here.

My Marlin 336C is my favorite deer gun for under 100 yards.

6. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

I have a CVA 209 Mag Hunter that I really like. You can usally find them new for about $130 - $150. Mine will shoot 3/4" groups at a 100 yards.

We got Dad a Knight stainless steel disc lite for Christmas for $240 from Sportsmen Guide. It shoots sub MOA also. Kicks worse then my CVA though.

P.S. Hate to break the bad news to you but it might help your brother. Fox Ridge Outfitters can fix the Contender Alloy guns to accept other contender barrels.

7. Medford4

Medford4 Hired Gun

Thanks, Guys
    While browsing in a local store I came across just what I was looking for. It's just an inexpensive little break-open rifle made by NEF (H&R) called a handirifle. It only weighs 6 1/2 pounds, and it was priced at $239 with a scope base already on it. I didn't buy it, but located a slightly used .270 with a 3x9 scope on it for $190 including shipping in South Carolina. I know I was looking for a repeater, but the light weight and light price changed my mind. I did a lot of research on the 'net before I bought it, and just about everybody who owns one loves it, and says it's a tack driver. PLUS you can ship the receiver and forearm back to the factory and for a total of $82 get a different caliber barrel for it. Try to do that with T/C!

8. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Hey no T/C bashing ;f I love my encore. Try getting a .405 winchester or a .416 rigby in NEF. Also .17hmr, .257 roberts, .221 fireball, etc... etc... etc... in a NEF. No problem in my Encore ;f

9. Medford4

Medford4 Hired Gun

No offense intended, Scotty...TC is a fine gun..at a fine price...If you have to have a 405, or a .17, or a .257, or .221, get you a TC...but with the .223 and .243 available, I think I can get by with my cheap little rifle..as for a .416, the only reason you need a caliber of this size is if you're hunting something that can also hunt you, and I'd just as soon have a bolt gun for that...and if I can afford to hunt a critter like that, I can afford a nice rifle. Like I say, no offense to a TC, I just enjoy the challenge of doing a lot with a little..My opinion about the new .17...Did you know 7.62x39 ammo is CHEAPER than .17ammo? Just food for thought.:soap: