Opinions on Hyundai?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by silentpoet, Mar 2, 2010.

1. silentpoet

silentpoet

What are your opinions and experiences with Hyundais? Thinking about applying for a sales position at a hyundai dealer.

2. gbambeck1

gbambeck1 Tinfoiler

They have come a long way as far as quality and make a very nice car, which is also very affordable in comparison to the "big name" manufacturers... Gofer eet!

3. cagnoli

cagnoli Patriot First

We had one as a company car years ago, and we didn't change the oil for almost 30,000 miles, and beat the living crap out of it for at least a year without any hiccups at all.

Heck, I accidentally put the damn thing in first gear at almost 70 miles an hour, it didn't scatter the motor, but it did lift the rear wheels off the ground for a few seconds......

Go for it, I'd buy one for a daily commuting vehicle for sure.

4. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I like them. In fact, when I rent, I try to get a Sonata. I specifically like the ones with the V6. The I4 is a little wimpy but either version beats the Malibu (worst car ever IMO) hands down.

Greg

5. vart

vart

My father-in-law worked for Tim's Hyundai in Prescott, AZ for a few months. They are sharks. He did buy a Hyundai Tucson while there that has not had any problems, but I did drive it last week after 30k miles put on it and it has developed a few rattles and squeaks that my Mercury Milan has not in the same amount of miles...

6. RonaldG29

RonaldG29 Noah's Hero

What can I say... They are making great cars right now, My co-worker got the new 2011 sonata and WOW!!!!!! I really like it. I would consider getting one no joke.

7. G30Jack

G30Jack .88 Magnum

We had one back in the early 90s. It was an awesome car. My only gripe was the CV joints went out pretty early. I replaced them with rebuilds and went another 100K with no issues. Some minor stuff like the CD player would randomly eject a cd from time to time.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  8. irish_ironsight

irish_ironsight

As far as hyundai goes I have owned 4 of them,
    2 Accent's,
    1 Coupe,
    And a Santa Fe........

If your interested in buying the Santa Fe you can drop by my house in Ireland and see it for yourself, it's for same cheap only 7 thousand miles on the clock in 3 years your's for 10,000 Euro, eh if your thinking about a move to Ireland hell, I can do a deal on the house as well !

Sorry I digress, Hyundai, you cant go wrong for the price !

9. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Owned three of them:
    • 2003 Accent GT
    • 2004 Elantra GT
    • 2005 Tucson
    None had/have problems. The first two are long gone, but I must say the Accent and Elantra handled/rode better than an '03 Civic LX.

The Tucson is coming up on the 60k service and the only other times it's been in the shop were for two petty recalls.

We'd buy another without batting an eye.

10. devildog2067

devildog2067

Selling Hyundai is one of the best non-premium automotive sales jobs there is.

Hyundai pays great spiffs--I was making $150 a car extra (that's extra money from the manufacturer, on top of your commission check from the dealership) when I was selling cars and that was 6 years ago now. It's directly tied to your CSI scores, and Hyundai surveys are brutal, but that's something that you can probably handle.

The thing that will decide how much money you make, though, is how your dealership structures its pay. If you sell new Hyundais you will almost never make any money on the front-end gross.

New Hyundais pretty much always will pay a mini, so find out what the mini is. (When they put me behind the desk I raised the mini on new Hyundais from $100 to $200 and my sales numbers jumped 40% in a month. The Toyota manager was pissed :)) You make money on Hyundais by selling volume, not by making grosses in general. Find out if the dealership has a volume bonus--when I was on the floor the bonus was 3/4/5/6/700 starting at 9, increasing every 3 cars and it was cumulative. That means when you sell the 9th car you get an extra $300, at the 12th car you get $400 on TOP of the $300, etc. The 21st car was worth a mini plus $700, so I was always going for volume.

PS: I suggest you change the title of your thread, as a lot of people are going to weigh in with their opinions on the Hyundai product. You need to talk to sales guys.

PPS: I worked as a sales person, F&I manager and a sales manager at a Hyundai store, feel free to PM me with any questions you have

11. happy seal

happy seal

I used to live very cose to Consumer Report Magazines' test track and know the head technician in charge of setting up the cars for obstacles and testing.
    He said they are great cars and get great reviews. In fact he bought two of them from the facility.

12. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

I've bought Hyundais for the past 10 years.

2000 Elantra
    2004 Santa Fe
    2009 Sonata (traded in the Elantra with +135K miles)

They've been great running cars with no major problems. As the Elantra grew older and broke the 100K barrier, little things started needing replacing (like alternator), but that's to be expected for most any car.

13. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

I have an '08 Sonata and can't say anything bad about it. Nice car, well made, good value.

14. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

My buddy had an Elantra that we beat the crap out of. It ran fine no matter what we did to it. Clutch replacement was a real PITA on that little car though.

15. Packin' Heat

Packin' Heat

we have an 05 elantra as a commuter car with over 100k miles. its been totally bulletproof. in fact nothing has failed yet, just keep up with the maintenance, which isn't much in the first place. Wouldn't hesitate to get another.

16. drew4691

drew4691

i had a 2000 elantra, 108,000 miles when some guy pulled out in front of me and crunched it.... Powertrain / Mechanically was great, no problems. Every window (power window) broke tho, i guess it had the little plastic clips at the bottom that were prone to breaking off... so thats why you see the 1996-2000's with duck tape holding the windows up....

17. boomhower

boomhower

I have an 2009 Elantra and I love it. Only at 9k but it's been very good so far. The dealership I bought it was great and got an awesome deal(16.5k sticker, paid 9.7k OTD). The dealership where I took it for the first service were idiots, on the service check sheet they had clutch marked out, it's a five speed. I have no regrets.

18. SPDMTL

SPDMTL

Got an '05 Tucson. Never a problem mechanically. Just alittle premature paint flaking on the drivers door handle and front quarter panel. Warrenteed------- no problemo. I was VERY impressed w/the hadling of that thing, it drove extremely well-- still does!

19. grahamw

grahamw

2007 Sonata owner
    I am very happy with the all around quality of the car.

20. pdog1517

pdog1517

Wife and I had an old accent hatchback in pink. I hated to drive it, but it ran like a top. Honestly, with all the Crap autos out there right now, I'd jump on a new Hyundai . Just wish they made trucks. Kinda like the old school smaller Toyotas.