close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

opinions on fenceless fence system

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Dyno, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Dyno

Dyno

I am looking at using a fenceless system to keep our family dog safe and away from the street. If anyone can advise me on this type of system and perhaps knows which brand works best I would appreciate any help in this area.

Thanks, Dyno

2. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

I would love to say it works wonderfully, but I would add it really depends mostly on your dog. I believe you can buy this brand at Tractor Supply if you can install yourself. Luckily I live on a five acre lot and have a tractor. Used a single tine on my grater box to trench the three inches needed to install the cable.

The reason I say it depends on your dog, is I used to have two dogs. One a german shorthaired pointer, the other a lab. I still have the lab and don't think he would leave now that he knows his bounderies. The GSP has been gone now a year last halloween. If the battery in the collar got weak, or he smelled a female he would run through the fence even if it rolled him with the shock charge. One time he ran away about a mile away and tried to get into another hidden fenced yard, and it hit him so hard, he layed in the same spot for a day. He would not move, and the neighbor called and saked if my dog was out and he knew where he was. Went to get him and had to put a leade on him to get him to move.

I can't say if its better to get it while the dogs are pups, or that its better with one dog than another. The best I can summize is I would trust them about as much as any other method of containment, but not 100 percent.

3. G31Steve

G31Steve LiveFreeOrDie

I dont own one but I know 2 people with them an it realy isnt 100% like said above if the dog thinks whatever is on other side is worth the quick jolt they will just make a dash for it.

4. Dyno

Dyno

alwaysshootin,G31Steve

Thanks for your helpful comments on this system.
    My dog is a male english/lab mix,likes to track ,however he is a pet not a hunting dog and mostly just plays. Great pet and family member and we want to try keeping him in the large yard aprox. 2.5 ac around the house.
    Tractor supply in one source I'll check into, if anyone knows of others please list them.

Thanks, Dyno

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I only have one experience with these things: a few years back, I caught a dog who had just escaped from one of these.

The owner deduced that she had somehow walked off during a thunderstorm, possible the power went out to the fence? She was pretty shaken up when I found her and I assumed she was frightened from the storm and probably had been shocked.

6. tony4311

tony4311

Another point is that while it may keep your dog in it won't keep other dogs that may cause problems out.

7. Omphaloskepsis

Omphaloskepsis PlayItOffLegit

We installed and Invisible Fence system for our two Cocker pups a few months back are are extremely pleased. After a bit of training they know exactly where their boundaries are and when they test the limits the beep lets them know where they stand.

8. Dyno

Dyno

misskitty5077,
    Thanks for your input,I'll keep this in mind as our dog is a part of the family and the main point is to keep him safe.

tony4311,
    You make a very good point , so far this has not been a problem, however it is one I had not thought of.

Omphaloskepsis,
    It is good to hear from someone using the Invisible Fence system product with good results. Would you please post the brand that you are using.

Thanks again to all for your help as the protection of our family dog is at the top of my to do list.

Best, Dyno