close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Opinions on Decatur Genesis?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by obxemt, Mar 4, 2010.

1. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Anyone have an informed opinion on the Decatur Genesis I or II, specifically as compared to the MPH Python or Kustom Golden Eagle?

Thanks...

[​IMG]

2. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

I only know of a couple agencies around here that use Decatur. Have not heard any complaints.

Most departments are using MPH and most of those have phased out the Pythons in favor of the Bee III.

3. Fallout

Fallout County Mountie

We have been using the Genisis II for about 4 years,

If your agency decides to go with these models get the Detatchable face plate cable (Serial cable 6 foot long) and only mount the Faceplate on the dash. All of our units that were mounted in the dash have fried due to heat from the sun and being in the windshield of the car.

We never had any problems with the Kustoms that we used before these. The ones that we have since remote mounted have very few problems. It takes some use getting to correctly setting the "Fast" "Slow" during same lane operation. Even after being trained in their use most of our guys didnt comprehend how to use this feature and assumed it didnt work. When in reality it works very well.

I would also spend the extra coin and get the smaller Ka Band antenna for the front as it looks much better and only takes up about half the room and seems to work better than the k-band antenna.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  4. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Thanks...our Golden Eagles have some age on them and they have a detachable face plate. Similar issues on the same lane feature.

5. Gary23

Gary23

I used to use the Genesis II at another dept and I loved it. I had the Ka antenna and it had awesome range. I would love to have another one if I had a choice.

6. ryanm

ryanm

The G1 is a little slow to respond... but will shoot through anything. Solid OLD unit.
    The G2 is a nice unit, the older K-band antennas work better. The G2 Ka was much more prone to interference, but still easy to use. Worked great on clear days.
    The G2 Select Directional is awesome. I had one with my last department. Single direction select when stationary. Still a bit prone to interference. I don't think they sell it with the Ka antennas anymore, though. The K version might work better.
    The Ka always seem to have more problems with light rain mild fog.

7. JTipper.45

JTipper.45

I run a Stalker 2X and will never run anything else. We do still have a Genisis I as a loner or in case we need to pop a radar into something. For being almost 10 years old it is almost bulletproof. Still reads like a champ and calibrates true everytime.

8. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

All I have ever used is Stalker.

9. HISEASCOWBOY

HISEASCOWBOY

I currently have a Genesis II in my car and have absolutely no complaints about it. I've used a Stalker with a detached remote and I prefer the tethered remote of the Genesis II. The range is at least as good as the Stalker and I've never had any problems with the one I have. It's been in the last two cars I've been assigned, through one hard wreck and temps below freezing and above 100 degrees without a hitch. I'd take it over anything else I've had in my cars so far.

10. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

They get rave reviews around here. Unfortunately I've never used one. Since everyone's budgets are getting axed, the factory refurb'd Stalkers are attractively priced at $599 with a single antenna.

The only RADARs I've used:

K-55
    KR-10
    Trooper
    Python II
    Golden Eagle

11. JBaird22

JBaird22

I used an old GenI when I first came on. It worked well. We had it mounted all goofy and wrong with the antenna on the passenger side of the window. No problems with hot or cold.

I went on vacation a couple years ago and came back to find a MPH BeeIII mounted in my patrol car that I regularly drive. Pure awesome. We also have one Stalker handheld and a stalker moving. Not a big fan of the stalker although it is solid and reliable.

12. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Pretty good units. The one you have pictured I used for a year when I worked as a reserve PD unit in a resort area. Great for highway use, not so good for low-speed enforcement (like in the park/campground area). It's got some cool features, the remote is awesome and it lights up nicely.

We have an older Genesis at one of the towns I marshal at. It's a nice unit, but it wasn't taken care of by the previous officers. It sat in the sun a lot on the dash of the car and I think the diaphragm inside is messed up. At least that's what I was told by Municipal Electronics tech. It did tune up fine and pass it's most recent certification. We have a handheld unit too. All the Decatur units I've ever worked with have issues with ghosting and cosine error (may be due to placement of antenna, but we tried several different configurations).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  13. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

I bet it is! I was looking at the pdf file on the MPH website last night for that unit and it looks like a beast.

14. x_out86

x_out86

Genesis II Select that you have pictured is in my squad right now. I have used a number of others including the silver eagle. I have no complaints about the Genesis. Awesome features including same direction, and fastest. Its also nice that you can lock in the target speed, and continue to track the vehicle's speed unlike the old units that would lock it in on the main target display.

Once you figure out how to work all the features you are golden. Takes a little bit to learn the quarks and tricks of using some of the more advanced features, but reading the manual helps too.