Glock Talk banner

Opinions - How dangerous is this problem?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  pascal 
#1 ·
Hello,
Installed a grip safety and it is extremely slightly failing the click test?
pascal

#2 · (Edited)
...it is extremely slightly failing...
Safeties either work or they fail. It's not really the kind of thing that needs to be or should be qualified with modifiers.

Is it working? If you can't answer with an unqualified "Yes." then it's not working.

Is it dangerous? Assuming the gun needs a grip safety then it's dangerous for it not to have one. But it's MORE dangerous, in my opinion, for it to have a grip safety installed that doesn't work properly.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Sorry for the wording of the issue. I modified a Colt Enhanced grip safety to fit on a Series 70 Reissue. It accurately, failed the click test. With hammer cocked and the thumb safety on, I pulled the trigger with effort. Releasing the thumb safety, I slowly pull the hammer back. A click is heard almost as soon as I began pulling the hammer and short duration. How can I describe it but to say that it was quicker and shorter in duration than another Colt that failed the test. But is this a test of the grip or thumb safety, now that I'm thinking about it?
Thanks for your replies and assistance.
pascal

#7 ·
You check the grip safe function as folows...

Cock the hammer (after checking to insure the pistol is not loaded). Then, without depressing the grip safety, pull the trigger. The gun should not fire.

Next, grip the gun, depressing the grip safety, pull the trigger; the gun should fire.

No click, no thumb safety, nothing else.

#11 · (Edited)
Hello larry1096,
In your opinion, what makes this such an immediate and severe of a problem? I am dumb enough to need to know the answer to that question, so if you would please elaborate. Thanks in advance.
pascal
Let me preface this with a reminder that I'm not a gunsmith-just a fellow who'd built a few guns and worked on them for personal use:

What you're seeing is the thumb safety not engaging completely, and allowing the sear to move out of engagement with the hammer slightly. Without knowing the sear geometry and other details, you have no real way of knowing how close the hammer is to being released. Also, a very hard pull on the trigger will likely move the sear more.

Essentially, you're no longer certain the safety is working-'working' means working completely correctly, IMHO-and I wouldn't carry the gun depending on such a safety to keep holes out of me or those around me.

FWIW,

Larry

#12 ·
Thank you larry1096 for the more in depth explanation. I didn't mention it but the check was with the trigger pulled very hard. So, if I got this right, the thumb safety is allowing the sear to move a certain amount when the trigger is pulled very hard, while it is engaged. Because the sear is no longer if full engagement with the hammer, it presents a percentage of danger in that the sear and hammer contact could slip once the thumb safety is turned off. Do I have it correctly or more easily if the trigger is pulled than normal?
pascal

#13 ·
Thank you larry1096 for the more in depth explanation. I didn't mention it but the check was with the trigger pulled very hard. So, if I got this right, the thumb safety is allowing the sear to move a certain amount when the trigger is pulled very hard, while it is engaged. Because the sear is no longer if full engagement with the hammer, it presents a percentage of danger in that the sear and hammer contact could slip once the thumb safety is turned off. Do I have it correctly or more easily if the trigger is pulled than normal?
pascal
The harder you pull, the more it will move, generally. But (IMHO, now) ANY movement is a sign the gun shouldn't be used. You just never know how much sear engagement is left, and it's one area where 'better safe than sorry'.

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.