GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my first suppressor as soon as the mail gets to the dealer, it's a Rugged Oculus 22. I have a Taurus TX22 pistol to play with, and I'm looking for a 22 rifle to use as a host as well. I'm undecided between a bolt action like a Savage FV-SR, or a semi like a 10/22 or M&P 15-22. What's your opinion of the best host to buy first with a current budget of about $300 or so.

Purpose would primarily be quiet range fun, so from what I understand the most quiet is going to be a bolt action like the Savage, which is what I'm leaning towards at the moment.

·
Bitter American
477 Posts
I got a SilencerCo Sparrow for my TX22. Still waiting for it to get out of "silencer jail" at my dealer's. It's only been 4 months since my tax check was cashed. I do have the Savage FV and it is already pretty quiet just shooting subsonic 22's. You couldn't go wrong with a 10/22 either. Mine cycles okay with subsonic ammo but don't know what it's going to be like when I add the can to it.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a SilencerCo Sparrow for my TX22. Still waiting for it to get out of "silencer jail" at my dealer's. It's only been 4 months since my tax check was cashed. I do have the Savage FV and it is already pretty quiet just shooting subsonic 22's. You couldn't go wrong with a 10/22 either. Mine cycles okay with subsonic ammo but don't know what it's going to be like when I add the can to it.
Nice. My check was cashed on 6/22 and approved on 11/10. Sounds like it may take as long as a month or so to arrive at the dealer after approval.

·
Registered
307 Posts
In my questionable opinion, those sparrows are the most practical .22 can on the market.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I did a form 1 on a QuietBore .22 Ti kit. Had it back and drilled within 30 days. It’s a nice little can for the price!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a form 1 on a QuietBore .22 Ti kit. Had it back and drilled within 30 days. It’s a nice little can for the price!
If I had more faith in my gunsmith skills and a decent drill press I might have tried that. What are you using the can on?

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
If you want absolute quiet, a bolt is the obvious choice. Your budget is pretty limiting though. Most good bolt guns are over $300. Your best bet could be the Savage FV-SR now and then upgrade it as you can. A Boyd's stock at least down the road.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
In my questionable opinion, those sparrows are the most practical .22 can on the market.
There are many great rimfire suppressors available today, but the Sparrow still holds it's own. The inner "clamshell" tube is the easiest to clean of any monocore design.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I'm getting my first suppressor as soon as the mail gets to the dealer, it's a Rugged Oculus 22. I have a Taurus TX22 pistol to play with, and I'm looking for a 22 rifle to use as a host as well. I'm undecided between a bolt action like a Savage FV-SR, or a semi like a 10/22 or M&P 15-22. What's your opinion of the best host to buy first with a current budget of about $300 or so.

Purpose would primarily be quiet range fun, so from what I understand the most quiet is going to be a bolt action like the Savage, which is what I'm leaning towards at the moment.
I don't have any suppressors yet.

There are the Ruger American rimfire bolt actions, they have a 22" that's not threaded, and an 18" that is threaded. The 22" with "Quiets" is surprisingly quiet. Literally like a loud hand clap. You might be able to find the 22" on sale for under $200.

There is also the Ruger precision bolt action.

Reactions: PennsWoods

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I don't have any suppressors yet.

There are the Ruger American rimfire bolt actions, they have a 22" that's not threaded, and an 18" that is threaded. The 22" with "Quiets" is surprisingly quiet. Literally like a loud hand clap. You might be able to find the 22" on sale for under $200.

There is also the Ruger precision bolt action.
I really like my Ruger Precision bolt action. It’s a tack driver!

·
Bitter American
477 Posts
I'm getting my first suppressor as
Another plus for the bolt action is ammo choice. You don't have to worry about cycling problems and could use just about any 22 ammo including shorts, if need be.

·
Native Mainiac
20,535 Posts
Yup...I don't have a silencer for my 22s yet....only 2 in 45, and one of them I fit on my Ruger PCC 9mm. Next one I get will be for a bolt action 22 rifle. Lot of the noise I get when shooting the USC or Oly AR-45 is from the action cycling.

Get a silencer that can be easily changed from one rifle to the other....preferably without needing a wrench. Getting a barrel threaded is short money...just make sure your gunsmith has done a few dozen or more before giving him your gun.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
A bolt action will always be quieter because of less action noise.

CZs or BRNOs are great little rifles. Cut the barrel to just over 16 inches and get it threaded, either 1/2x20 or 1/2x28 depending on your suppressor.

If you go for a Ruger 10/22, get a polymer buffer pin which will cut a lot of the action noise.

·
17,613 Posts
I like the Savage MKII FV Bolt Action Rifle .22LR 21" Heavy Barrel 5 Round Synthetic Stock model. I have one of those along with a near identical rifle in 17 HMR. The 22 is accurate but the 17 HMR is amazingly accurate. the bull barrel on teh 17 is super thick because the bore is so small and teh 17 HMR seems to be an inherently accurate cartridge.

The FV SR has the shorter barrel and the barrel is threaded and fluted. Andi it has a "Tactical' Bolt handle. I wanted a longe barrel and didn't need it to be threaded and wanted it to match teh 17 HMR model that I bought first. I also have a semi-matching 22 mag with the same synthetic stock but it has a stainless barrel and action.

My other 22's are a 10-22, a 20-22 Charger, and a Belgian Browning ATD takedown with the tube magazine in the butt.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I’ve happily used silencers on both the 10/23 and the S&W 15-22. Both are in your budget and available threaded, ready to go.

Reactions: PennsWoods

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
Just to be clear, ignore anyone on here telling you to buy an unthreaded gun and get it threaded. That is not an inexpensive procedure and is a completely wasted expense if there are factory threaded options.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts