GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...specifically the combat. I understand it is an expensive handgun and some may think I’m nuts and that may be true. Now I actually have two Zev Tech Glocks, a Tier 1 17.3 and a Defender 19.3. Both have been excellent over the years, no issues with the guns. With that said, I ordered some stuff from Zev a few times and on two occasions, I was sent the wrong product. Needless to, their customer service was not good though it was a few years back.

I would love to get some trigger time but tough to do ATM. I’ve done some research, mostly good but any experience with them is welcome.

This is my Zev Tech Defender 19.3 and it has been one of my edc for years.

7BA9FFE0-877F-4464-840E-246F2A6A483D.jpeg

This is my Zev Tech Tier 1 17.3...I took this gun to my first class at Gunsight Academy in 2014. I had not fired it until the class and it ran great from day one. The aftermarket triggers worry me at times but neither Zev Glock has had issues in thousands of rounds.

3E45BDB7-80D4-49EF-96AA-585F82735997.jpeg

This is the OZ9 Combat...

086AC44B-EAE5-4221-AEB0-FE895850C7E6.jpeg

·
NRA Life Member
4,777 Posts
I hear better stuff about Shadow Systems MR920. Plus the price is pretty good for what you get.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured I wouldn’t get much response, it is an expensive gun and I too haven’t seen one yet.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I’ve shot one on some plate racks and short drills. Muzzle flip was definitely less than my G34.5 with my 147’s in both guns but he had a lighter optic and 17 length slide. I would say that it works but then again so do stock Glock’s.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I figured I wouldn’t get much response, it is an expensive gun and I too haven’t seen one yet.
'Tough crowd here Bunkie whenever the heavily mod'd Glock topic comes up, especially the OZ9, which is patterned after but isn't a Glock in any way shape or form because every part of it is built in-house by ZEV. It's most notable feature is it's full length billet machined stainless steel chassis system, whose rails are a far cry better than the sheetmetal ones found on every Glock pistol, which I'm sure also offers the OZ9 much more rigidity than the Glock platform (now the Glock fanbois will chime in to say that the Glock was designed to flex, LOL):

I suppose it has merits, but anytime one plans on spending $1,300+ to $1,999 for a handgun with little to no track record, I think it's best before doing so to consider both the benefits and risks of buying early on in the game.

However, if you've got money to burn, then set it ablaze!

·
Director of civil unrest
8,550 Posts
Not my cup of tea. However, many are cashing in on the "bling" GLOCKS these days. It's your money, if it blows your hair back get it! :flag:

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Many like "custom " Glocks and I never really give much care to what someone else does with their property. Seems like Zev offers some very nice custom offerings, particularly cosmetically.

For me, when I line up cost of modifications to the level of a top of the heap Zev, or other high end customization, against other firearms on my wish lists, the customized polymers always drop way down the list.

Zev vs 95% Garand
Zev vs Pre 27 S&W 3.5"
Zev vs 90%+ matching Luger P08
Etc.

Too many guns, too little money. :)

·
"Tactical Elf"
2,954 Posts
...specifically the combat. I understand it is an expensive handgun and some may think I’m nuts and that may be true. Now I actually have two Zev Tech Glocks, a Tier 1 17.3 and a Defender 19.3. Both have been excellent over the years, no issues with the guns. With that said, I ordered some stuff from Zev a few times and on two occasions, I was sent the wrong product. Needless to, their customer service was not good though it was a few years back.

I would love to get some trigger time but tough to do ATM. I’ve done some research, mostly good but any experience with them is welcome.

This is my Zev Tech Defender 19.3 and it has been one of my edc for years.

View attachment 746604

This is my Zev Tech Tier 1 17.3...I took this gun to my first class at Gunsight Academy in 2014. I had not fired it until the class and it ran great from day one. The aftermarket triggers worry me at times but neither Zev Glock has had issues in thousands of rounds.

View attachment 746608

This is the OZ9 Combat...

View attachment 746606
Bunk, has anyone told you the rear sight on your ZEV 17 is installed backwards?

As far as the Zev guns, I would go with a Shadow Systems MR918 or 920 before I would go with The OZ. the OZ is nice, but way, way overpriced for what your getting.

No doubt they have a lot of R&D in the platform, but it isn't revolutionary, it doesn't shoot any better than a factory Glock, and I have heard a few reports about reliability issues. If you have the money to spend, and want a fancy Glock, it's a nice one to go with. I wouldn't take that train ride expecting it to be the holy grail of Glock style pistols though.

The Ergos on the OZ gun are nice, but so are the P80, MR series and my guns with reductions. It's all in what you are looking for.

I have shot several of them and in comparison to Shadow guns they have no advantage, IMO.

TXPO

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bunk, has anyone told you the rear sight on your ZEV 17 is installed backwards?

As far as the Zev guns, I would go with a Shadow Systems MR918 or 920 before I would go with The OZ. the OZ is nice, but way, way overpriced for what your getting.

No doubt they have a lot of R&D in the platform, but it isn't revolutionary, it doesn't shoot any better than a factory Glock, and I have heard a few reports about reliability issues. If you have the money to spend, and want a fancy Glock, it's a nice one to go with. I wouldn't take that train ride expecting it to be the holy grail of Glock style pistols though.

The Ergos on the OZ gun are nice, but so are the P80, MR series and my guns with reductions. It's all in what you are looking for.

I have shot several of them and in comparison to Shadow guns they have no advantage, IMO.

TXPO
Yep lol. I just kept it that way, exactly how Zev did it. I get **** all the time for it. I’ll check out the 918 or 920 as well, thank you.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
'Tough crowd here Bunkie whenever the heavily mod'd Glock topic comes up, especially the OZ9, which is patterned after but isn't a Glock in any way shape or form because every part of it is built in-house by ZEV. It's most notable feature is it's full length billet machined stainless steel chassis system, whose rails are a far cry better than the sheetmetal ones found on every Glock pistol, which I'm sure also offers the OZ9 much more rigidity than the Glock platform (now the Glock fanbois will chime in to say that the Glock was designed to flex, LOL):

I suppose it has merits, but anytime one plans on spending $1,300+ to $1,999 for a handgun with little to no track record, I think it's best before doing so to consider both the benefits and risks of buying early on in the game.

However, if you've got money to burn, then set it ablaze!
I would tend to agree with your conclusion. Money on an unknown quantity.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Overpriced plastic gun. But if you have money who cares. Tell me it’s better than a stock glock and I’ll call you an idiot to your face.
Meh, I’ve been called worse.

Reactions: DubfromGA

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m sure it’s better for certain applications. For carry, I’d take a standard Glock.
Me too though I do carry my Zev 19.3 Defender quite a bit. But a stock 19.5 with night sights is just about perfect for me.

Reactions: DubfromGA

·
"Tactical Elf"
2,954 Posts
Yep lol. I just kept it that way, exactly how Zev did it. I get **** all the time for it. I’ll check out the 918 or 920 as well, thank you.
Thats funny.... instills such confidence in their gunsmiths....lol.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the MR series guns. For the money, they are hard to beat.

I prefer the MR918 myself, looks wise. If you are planing on an optic and RMR is your optic of choice, you can still find 918 combat version with the cut as well as the Elite models which have the RMR cut.

If you are planning on trying multiple optics, or maybe plan on running one in the future and are undecided, the 920 is the better option. Their new optic cut system is by far the best I have seen on a stock pistol for multiple optics.

I was quite fond of my 918. I am still waiting on a crossover version from them. :)

TXPO

·
Registered
211 Posts
Having held an OZ9, I don’t think that I would buy one. It’s badass looking for sure, but it’s basically a cracked out gen 3 Glock. IMO it would make more sense to get a gen 5 Glock (better than gen 3), slap a Zev slide, and Zev trigger (which zevs gen 5 trigger is awesome btw) and a red dot. After all of that you’ll still be spending less than you would with a stock OZ9.

·
Registered
41,984 Posts
Having held an OZ9, I don’t think that I would buy one. It’s badass looking for sure, but it’s basically a cracked out gen 3 Glock. IMO it would make more sense to get a gen 5 Glock (better than gen 3), slap a Zev slide, and Zev trigger (which zevs gen 5 trigger is awesome btw) and a red dot. After all of that you’ll still be spending less than you would with a stock OZ9.
biggest benefit over a Glock is the grip angle and lack of hump.

·
Registered
34 Posts
bunk, did you get that 17 directly from Zev or a dealer? Anybody who handled it before shipping must have been wearing a blind fold or they assemble guns in the dark.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts