close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

opening day report from N. Texas

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by TexAg, Nov 7, 2004.

1. TexAg

TexAg

Had a very good opening day regular season here in North Texas. My Dad, brother and I went yesterday morning and I got a doe and my bro got a nice 8 point buck. Both of us were using 6mm Remingtons, his a model 700 and mine a model seven. I shot a doe becasue last year I didn't get one, although I did get an 8 point buck and I saw 5 doe yeasterday morning, two there from before dawn.

A little 6 or 8 point came in that will be a good buck next year and I let him go, but he went to chasing those doe around and before I lost a shot at one I went ahead and took what I judged to be the largest at about 50 yards. She ran about 30 yards into some brush (the farthest I have ever had a deer run when using my 6mm), I heard her crashing through and then stop, so figured she went down. The other two that were next to her amazingly did not budge for several minutes. Finally they wondered off and I got down out of the tripod to find my doe. She was easy to track through the underbrush from heavy, dragging feet through the leaves and a blood spot here and there. The bullet did exit and had cut her corotid artery, pierced her esophogus and destoyed quite a bit of lung tissue. She was full of blood as the bullet holes were high enough that the blood drained into her chest cavity. A good fat doe though that will be great eating (summer sausage, breakfast sausage, hamburger, chili meat and steaks).

My brother shot his that morning as well after calling him in with a does-in-estrous call. A big buck, 8 main points with a small kicker pointing out to the side. Amazingly shot from the same stand as I shot mine last year (calling him in with a rattle) and in a low-ish deer population county (one buck county). His bullet exited as well and his deer was found within 20 yards from where he shot it (although it took him 40 minutes to find him becasue the grass is 4 feet hight!). Again, so much for the .243/6mm "isn't big enough for deer" argument some of the less educated make.

A great opening day though and I will be out there next week looking for my buck and perhaps another doe. Hope everyone else had good luck yesterday as well.

2. txgolfer45

txgolfer45

I had good luck on opening day too! I got an 11 point. If I can figure out how to post a picture, I will.

I was over in Palo Pinto County, Texas.

Scott

3. txgolfer45

txgolfer45

Hopefully this works!

4. TexAg

TexAg

Nice buck. We were in Hood County. Unfortunately we did not bring a camera and the buck is already at the processor, but he is getting it eurpoean mounted and I might get a pic of it when it is done. I'll try and attach a couple pics of the two bucks we shot last year.

5. TexAg

TexAg

mine from last year

6. TexAg

TexAg

brother's from last year

7. txgolfer45

txgolfer45

TexAG,

Very nice!!!

Scott

8. jtshombre

jtshombre

Hey guys, being from up north (Montana) we have larger bodied deer. I was just curious was these weighed gutted out? The antlers are nice, but the bodies look small in relation to the rifle in the one picture, just being curious I guess. Take care, and keep those pics coming, unfortunately we had a horrible winter last year, and lots of winter kill, so I'm still carrying all my unused tags. I am headed out this afternoon for awhile tho, so maybe I can punch out one tag today. Wish me luck!

9. txgolfer45

txgolfer45

Not really sure what the field dressed weight was. But, you are right, the deer in Texas are smaller in size than up north.

Scott

10. TexAg

TexAg

The deer in the truck bed (pic says "Joe's deer") weighed about 120 gutted I believe, the other one was similar as well.