Opening day here...WOOHOO!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by 8-Ball, Nov 18, 2005.

1. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I got to my stand about 5:30am and got situated, Still damp from spray-on scent killer. It was in a perfect spot about 5 yards in the woods looking out over a cornfield (Menard county for you Illinoians). A perfect morning. Bright moon, and about 20 degrees or so.

It started getting light out and I could see what looked to be a big doe in another cornfield across the way(my guess would be around 200yds). I didn't plan on taking a doe because I only had one either sex tag. I had a new grunt call that I'd never used before and I wanted to have some fun and see if it worked so I grunted once. The deer looked my way for a few seconds then stard walking towards me. After it walked about 30yds or so it turned back around so I grunted once more. This time it started heading straight in my direction.

When the deer started crossing a little grass ditch type thing that went through the field I could see a rack plain as day with the green background of the grass. I couldn't see the rack with it standing in the field, it just blended in with the stripped corn stalks. I sat and watched this buck sniff the ground about 50yds away for around 10mins debating a shot, then it once again started heading my way.

As it was closing in 50yds, 40, 30, I could see that it was a good sized buck and now was my chance. I was trying to ready my 870 and I had buck fever so bad and was shaking that it was "tinging" off of the bar around the stand. When it got about 20 yds away from my stand (it was walking west right past my stand, I was facing north) I made a sort of quiet "waaah" grunt noise with my mouth and he stopped. That was his last move. Broad side. 20 yds away. I took aim and BOOM! I don't even remember pulling the trigger or hearing the boom, but I do remember him dropping, back legs first, right in his tracks. I hit him perfectly in the spine, but he was still alive. I waited a minute to make sure he wasn't gonna get back up, then I climbed down and hit him agian from his underside through the heart to stop any suffering.

There's my story. I hope it wasn't too long for you guys, I jsut like to get every detail. Thats how I like to hear 'em. I sat in the stand about 45mins to an hour total opening day, and I only had one tag but it was worth it.

A perfect 8pt and big bodied too. Around 5 1/2" around at the base of the main beam. I don't have a weight but he's pretty big.

I'm going to get my digital camera that has the pics on them right now so pics will be up in a little bit.

2. punkture

punkture

i'm just hoping tomorrow night i can post a "ditto" to this story. tomorrow is opening day for gun season here. congrats on the kill, we can't wait for pictures!

3. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

4. lomfs24

lomfs24

That is a very nice deer! ;c ;c ;Y

5. Glocktex

Glocktex

6. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

very nice! congrats;Y

7. iiibbb

iiibbb

After 2 full days and 3 half days of a disappointing early muzzleloader season on the national forest, I bagged a doe on a friend's property this opening day.

Now that I have meat for the freezer I can start looking for a buck.

Very weird season here in VA... warm weather and a bumper crop of acorns has kept the deer not very mobile.

Good luck everyone.