Home > The Main Room > The Okie Corral > Opening day buck

Opening day buck

1. AC939401-7E22-4124-857B-6D9564634179.jpeg I knocked it out of the park this year and shot this huge 8 pointer at 7:18 am opening day with my crossbow still hunting state game lands.

I shot him at 45 yards with a schwacker Broadhead. He ran about 1/4 mile but it took almost three hours to track him down the blood trail was sporadic although his lungs were jelly.
    FC6E4C6C-8D9F-4A1A-A028-35D6F82363D9.jpeg
    His brow tines have a neat hook to them. 7E4B463B-D958-4A03-8227-46E8F079F10E.jpeg
    This is the biggest buck I’ve gotten. It took 2 hours to drag him 1.5 miles. .25 miles was through a briar patch over logs and tree tops the logged it a few years ago and left the tops.

I think I prefer does for meat:work ratio. He was freaking heavy.

2. Nice Buck! Lotta work, Lotta Fun.

Congrats!

3. Very nice bow buck! Congrats!

4. Nice! Congrats! ;)

5. I don't think you could have delivered that bolt any better. Great work and thanks for the post.

6. Good score. You'll be eating well for a long time. tom. :thumbsup:

7. Excellent shot, nice buck. Only that could have been better is if he would have run towards your truck and maybe hopped into the back for you.

8. Never ceases to amaze me how far they can go with a mortal wound like that. I've helped butcher a few where both lungs and the arteries going into the heart were destroyed, and still went a long way on adrenaline.

Great looking buck, will make a nice mount if you decide to go that route. Don't tell anyone, but my favorite are road kill yearlings, some of the best, most tender venison I've ever eaten.

Something about getting hit by a pickup doing 65 miles an hour just softens them right up.

9. Very nice. Congrats.

10. Its the kind of opening day deer hunters dream of. Nice buck. Great shot. Meat on the table!

I've never hunted with a crossbow. A 45 yard shot sounds like a long one to me. Congratulations.

11. Congrats! :cheers:

12. Isn't that rough on your truck?

13. That is a nice rack and great shot placement. Congratulations.

14. Thanks!

It is, I’m shooting 3” groups at 50 yards though. Honestly it was a tough shot but it was one of those great opportunities I had to take and I nailed it.

Last year I had almost the same thing happen but I tried to sneak in closer and blew it.

It might even have been the same deer, I’ve been just out of range a few times on him.

15. Hell of a nice one!!!

Congrats!

16. Nice, congrats!

Modern crossbows are _so_ wicked.

17. hey man!!! VERY NICE DEER! I always forget how much shorter the season is up north. our opening day here is aug. 15th clean through new years! but we have little guys comparatively speaking. my buddy's wife shot what for all intents and purposes resembled a puppy last night.

18. Nice buck, nice shot! Any plans for taxidermy? How are the ticks out there. Everywhere in W PA.

19. Nice!!

20. I’m gonna let nature digest the soft tissue and do a European mount myself. I’m not much of a trophy hunter and don’t feel like dropping big money on something to hang on the wall.

Ticks are about normal here.

21. Never hit one myself, but I am friends with several of the local deputy sheriffs, and there is a stretch of 4 lane that they run a 30 mile circuit on, so 60 mile round trip. When they pass one on the side of the road that wasn't there an hour ago, will text me, usually in the wee hours of the morning.

I have my own network, whom I will contact, and they will go out and pick it up. I just want the ribcage, and maybe a ham, have gotten up more than once to leave at 7:30 am and found deer parts on the front porch.

Nobody wants to deal with the ribcage, but there is a lot of good meat there. I'll drop it in a bucket of white vinegar, salt and water, and head out to work. When I get home, break out the reciprocating saw and break it down, then into the freezer.

On the smoker, with pecan wood and a good vinegar based baste, can be epic. The good thing is, all the parasites that show up in the big muscles during the summer don't infect the lean muscle of the ribcage, so can eat them year round.

22. Nice deer.

23. Very nice!!

24. It was a little forward. Went through both front shoulders and turned a lot of meat into goop.

The bolt broke off inside it was weird. Complete pass though with an entry and exit wound but I found a deer chest width shaft broken off in the lung cavity.

25. Makes sense if you hit him on the run and were using carbon shafts.

26. 'Ere ya go.

27. The shoulders aren't the best meat, nor much of it there. Good job, nice deer.

28. Past two seasons I got nice sized bucks (not huge, just nice) opening morning, first 15 minutes, of rifle season. Both taken from the same spot.

Unfortunately my wife wants to use that spot this season.

29. Nice job! I will substitute this beating a dead horse emoji for cleaning a dead deer. :deadhorse:

30. Congrats!

31. Way to go! Great shot! When’s the chili cook off?

32. Ours kinda sucks, sept 29 to nov 12 or something, then two weeks of rifle after thanksgiving, then two weeks after Christmas. No Sunday hunting except crows and coyotes.

33. I might do a batch this week to burn through 5 pounds of ground meat, that buck had a lot of meat on him.

I rigged up a hand winch to lift him which I definitely needed.

34. Do you like Brunswick stew? Will post a friend's recipe if you do.

Deer meat, in whatever shape, form or fashion you so choose, about 4 pounds.

4 gallons of water.

8 large potatoes, quartered.

Carrots to taste, somewhere between 4 and 16, depending on how many you have to feed, and how big they are, and how much you like carrots.

A bottle of Liquid Smoke. Essential for Brunswick stew, everything else without it is just stew.

A bottle of Worcestershire sauce, see above.

A bunch of celery, whatever Walmart has on hand. Depending on the local attitude on celery, either chop it fine, or drop it in whole, can be removed with the bay leaf (spoiler alert) before serving.

If you are north of Huntsville, Alabama, two whole cloves of garlic, intact. If you are south of Huntsville, break down the cloves, and grate them. If you are west of Biloxi, Mississippi, make it 4 cloves, and both crush them and mince them.

Now here is where it gets tricky.

Onions.

Some say, no onions. Some say white, some say yellow, some say whole, some say quartered, some say chopped, some say minced.

Here, once again, latitude and longitude prevails.

If in Brunswick, Nova Scotia, no onions, and no garlic.

If in Brunswick, New Jersey, lots of onions and garlic, of course leave both whole and remove before serving, with the bay leaf. Again, spoiler alert.

If south of Huntsville, quarter them, if west of Biloxi, mince them, those damn Cajuns want everything to be one step removed from gumbo.

Put it in a stock pot, boil it for 30 minutes, then simmer for however long everyone is going to be at the camp.

Serve as often as possible, add all additional ingredients as needed, sear or fry anything that bleeds to 140° internal temp before adding to the pot.

In the past, I have had Brunswick stew that contained deer meat, raccoon, possum, (we drew the line at road kill armadillo), crab, oyster, a questionable carcass that was said to be bobcat but looked a lot like the neighbor's calico, based on the missing posters that showed up the next week.

The perfect compliment for said stew is rice, once again if you are west of Biloxi, although it eats just as well to the east, bread, pasta, more potatoes, and of course, bay leaf.

35. Our record at the camp, for a single pot of stew, is 6 weeks. Stuff gets added constantly, as the level goes down, the trick is, never let it get empty.

The only forbidden ingredient is venison backstrap. That is the Holy Grail of the deer hunter, and is reserved for whomever took the deer. It did get added once, back in 1987, but she was 14 and her first trip, and just didn't know any better. We all looked the other way, and to this day do not speak of it.

36. Wow! Nice buck! Congratulations!
    The son and I were out yesterday too, but saw nothing in the three hours we had from daybreak. I heard one behind me, out of sight, went to check on it when the noise moved away, and found droppings still warm by the corn field. Our first archery season together, and in the three archery seasons I've had for myself, I never took a shot at one.:supergrin:

Great shot, but 45 yards would've not been a shot I would have tried with a compound. I don't have a crossbow though. Glad you made it!

PS: did it "hunch down" at the snap of the crossbow, or does the bolt travel fast enough for it not to have the reaction time?

37. My crossbow does about 320 FPS so it can certainly still jump the string. I’ve found they mostly only do that when they’re on alert.

If they’ve no idea you’re there they tend not to react as much until they’re hit.

I’ve shot deer out to 40 yards with my bow. 45 would be iffy for me too.

I used to shoot my compound bow every day but now I live on the outskirts of town where I can’t shoot and have a 14 month old son that I spend a lot of time with so the crossbow lets me be precise and humane when I can’t practice as much.

38. I was going to day, I like the look of European mounts way better than full shoulder mounts. Congrats on the trophy of a lifetime!

If you want the finer bone structures to remain intact and to minimize stench a lot of hard work, it’s best practice to help nature along with some boiling water.

https://www.instructables.com/id/European-Mounted-Deer/

39. Really. "I see you and I" ? Where's she from?

40. I dunno, I was drunk.

41. I agree on the mounts, I’ve never loved full mounts and I personally aspire to be a minimalist and a huge taxidermied mount would take up too much room.

That boiling the head thing is my plan, lady gonzoso just went out to pick up the baking soda.

42. Lot's of debate on how to do bone. I have a background in taxidermy, so I'll throw in my two cents. Don't boil, it's too harsh on the bone (Geez, can't wait for G30SF/F250's comment on that!); degrease the bone with Dawn dish detergent; avoid high strength peroxide and any bleach. Here's a site that explains the details, nothing complicated, no harsh chemicals. Just need patience! Post pictures when you are finished.
    http://bone-lust.blogspot.com/2012/03/bad-words-boil-bleach.html

43. Nice buck Chuck. Lotsa good eatin' there Mister

44. Cool

45. That’s a nice deer.

Now go get it processed into nothing but jerkey! Hehehe

46. I like to do the shoulders as jerky. I’ve got a smoker and everything so I do it proper.

47. Very nice buck. Congratulations!