Opening day buck

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gonzoso, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I’m gonna let nature digest the soft tissue and do a European mount myself. I’m not much of a trophy hunter and don’t feel like dropping big money on something to hang on the wall.

Ticks are about normal here.

Fred Hansen, elkhart and plp like this.
  2. plp

plp

Never hit one myself, but I am friends with several of the local deputy sheriffs, and there is a stretch of 4 lane that they run a 30 mile circuit on, so 60 mile round trip. When they pass one on the side of the road that wasn't there an hour ago, will text me, usually in the wee hours of the morning.

I have my own network, whom I will contact, and they will go out and pick it up. I just want the ribcage, and maybe a ham, have gotten up more than once to leave at 7:30 am and found deer parts on the front porch.

Nobody wants to deal with the ribcage, but there is a lot of good meat there. I'll drop it in a bucket of white vinegar, salt and water, and head out to work. When I get home, break out the reciprocating saw and break it down, then into the freezer.

On the smoker, with pecan wood and a good vinegar based baste, can be epic. The good thing is, all the parasites that show up in the big muscles during the summer don't infect the lean muscle of the ribcage, so can eat them year round.

3. biscuits&gravy

biscuits&gravy

4. Detectorist

Detectorist

5. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

It was a little forward. Went through both front shoulders and turned a lot of meat into goop.

The bolt broke off inside it was weird. Complete pass though with an entry and exit wound but I found a deer chest width shaft broken off in the lung cavity.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  6. plp

plp

Makes sense if you hit him on the run and were using carbon shafts.

7. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

The shoulders aren't the best meat, nor much of it there. Good job, nice deer.

Fred Hansen likes this.
  9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Fred Hansen likes this.
  10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Past two seasons I got nice sized bucks (not huge, just nice) opening morning, first 15 minutes, of rifle season. Both taken from the same spot.

Unfortunately my wife wants to use that spot this season.

Fred Hansen likes this.
  11. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

Nice job! I will substitute this beating a dead horse emoji for cleaning a dead deer. :deadhorse:

Fred Hansen likes this.
  12. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

13. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

Way to go! Great shot! When’s the chili cook off?

Fred Hansen likes this.
  14. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

Ours kinda sucks, sept 29 to nov 12 or something, then two weeks of rifle after thanksgiving, then two weeks after Christmas. No Sunday hunting except crows and coyotes.

Fred Hansen likes this.
  15. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I might do a batch this week to burn through 5 pounds of ground meat, that buck had a lot of meat on him.

I rigged up a hand winch to lift him which I definitely needed.

Fred Hansen and Budqweiser like this.
  16. plp

plp

Do you like Brunswick stew? Will post a friend's recipe if you do.

Deer meat, in whatever shape, form or fashion you so choose, about 4 pounds.

4 gallons of water.

8 large potatoes, quartered.

Carrots to taste, somewhere between 4 and 16, depending on how many you have to feed, and how big they are, and how much you like carrots.

A bottle of Liquid Smoke. Essential for Brunswick stew, everything else without it is just stew.

A bottle of Worcestershire sauce, see above.

A bunch of celery, whatever Walmart has on hand. Depending on the local attitude on celery, either chop it fine, or drop it in whole, can be removed with the bay leaf (spoiler alert) before serving.

If you are north of Huntsville, Alabama, two whole cloves of garlic, intact. If you are south of Huntsville, break down the cloves, and grate them. If you are west of Biloxi, Mississippi, make it 4 cloves, and both crush them and mince them.

Now here is where it gets tricky.

Onions.

Some say, no onions. Some say white, some say yellow, some say whole, some say quartered, some say chopped, some say minced.

Here, once again, latitude and longitude prevails.

If in Brunswick, Nova Scotia, no onions, and no garlic.

If in Brunswick, New Jersey, lots of onions and garlic, of course leave both whole and remove before serving, with the bay leaf. Again, spoiler alert.

If south of Huntsville, quarter them, if west of Biloxi, mince them, those damn Cajuns want everything to be one step removed from gumbo.

Put it in a stock pot, boil it for 30 minutes, then simmer for however long everyone is going to be at the camp.

Serve as often as possible, add all additional ingredients as needed, sear or fry anything that bleeds to 140° internal temp before adding to the pot.

In the past, I have had Brunswick stew that contained deer meat, raccoon, possum, (we drew the line at road kill armadillo), crab, oyster, a questionable carcass that was said to be bobcat but looked a lot like the neighbor's calico, based on the missing posters that showed up the next week.

The perfect compliment for said stew is rice, once again if you are west of Biloxi, although it eats just as well to the east, bread, pasta, more potatoes, and of course, bay leaf.

Fred Hansen likes this.
  17. plp

plp

Our record at the camp, for a single pot of stew, is 6 weeks. Stuff gets added constantly, as the level goes down, the trick is, never let it get empty.

The only forbidden ingredient is venison backstrap. That is the Holy Grail of the deer hunter, and is reserved for whomever took the deer. It did get added once, back in 1987, but she was 14 and her first trip, and just didn't know any better. We all looked the other way, and to this day do not speak of it.

elkhart, gwalchmai and Fred Hansen like this.
  18. light-switch

light-switch Back to work...

Wow! Nice buck! Congratulations!
    The son and I were out yesterday too, but saw nothing in the three hours we had from daybreak. I heard one behind me, out of sight, went to check on it when the noise moved away, and found droppings still warm by the corn field. Our first archery season together, and in the three archery seasons I've had for myself, I never took a shot at one.:supergrin:

Great shot, but 45 yards would've not been a shot I would have tried with a compound. I don't have a crossbow though. Glad you made it!

PS: did it "hunch down" at the snap of the crossbow, or does the bolt travel fast enough for it not to have the reaction time?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  19. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

My crossbow does about 320 FPS so it can certainly still jump the string. I’ve found they mostly only do that when they’re on alert.

If they’ve no idea you’re there they tend not to react as much until they’re hit.

I’ve shot deer out to 40 yards with my bow. 45 would be iffy for me too.

I used to shoot my compound bow every day but now I live on the outskirts of town where I can’t shoot and have a 14 month old son that I spend a lot of time with so the crossbow lets me be precise and humane when I can’t practice as much.

light-switch and elkhart like this.
  20. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

I was going to day, I like the look of European mounts way better than full shoulder mounts. Congrats on the trophy of a lifetime!

If you want the finer bone structures to remain intact and to minimize stench a lot of hard work, it’s best practice to help nature along with some boiling water.

https://www.instructables.com/id/European-Mounted-Deer/