close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Opening Day 2003: Michigan Bow Season

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Michigun, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Well, I took down a fairly nice doe last night for the MI opening day of bow season.

Meat in the freezer!

I’ll be back at it tonight.

Sorry, no pictures…

2. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Congrats!

You can't eat antlers anyway! :)
    Good luck on your next one my friend, perhaps he will have a 'display' on his head for ya.

Hey, at least all that meat makes up for the 'doves' you were'nt allowed to get! :)

Good hunting Hoss.

CanyonMan

3. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Actually I've gotten 5 so far this season... with my vehicle that is. Man do they make a cloud of feathers! ;)

4. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Yeah, and you can't hang meat on the wall either. I've never shot any "antlers" that weren't attached to at least 150 lbs of meat. ;)

Sorry... I couldn't resist. Everytime I hear that cliche, I counter with mine.

I'm in no way disparaging anyone from shooting a doe... I do so myself, for the meat, and to control the population. But nobody I know will pass up a decent antlered buck to shoot a doe. I said a "decent" buck... I've passed up sure shots on dozens of small immature bucks, and took a nice fat doe instead. I'd rather shoot a doe than a spike, fork, or even a six. That doe will never sport a 10pt rack, but those "little" bucks will someday, if they live long enough. Let 'em go and let 'em grow. :)

5. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

I’m basically the same way as you… HOWEVER, I shoot every true spike or fork horn (no button bucks) I see, as there shouldn’t be such a thing in my particular location! Waaay too much farm food not to have a healthy buck with a healthy rack. We also take scrub racks out of the local population… this way we keep all of them out of the gene pool! ;)

I did pass up 3 very nice does last night... only to never get a shot at that nice 8-pointer that came out too far down for bow range later on... :(

I’ll be back at it again tonight!!!

6. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

How can you tell, from a treestand perspective, if it's a "true" spike or fork, and not just an immature buck? Body size perhaps? If a buck is obviously large in body size and has a 4 pt rack, then I'd agree. But what about a deer of "average" size that's a fork? How can you determine his age? In their first two years of life, bucks use the majority of the nutrients they ingest to grow their body, not their rack. It's not until they reach two or three years old and their body matures that the antlers have a chance to really develop. It doesn't matter what they eat. A good food source will speed up the process, but not totally eliminate it.

Only a deer biologist with years of research and study under their belts can determine a "true" fork, merely from looking at it. Because I cannot make such a claim (even though I've read everything about whitetail biology I can get my hands on), I won't shoot any fork or spike, unless it's obviously been injured and won't survive anyway. Because you hunt on private land, perhaps you have a more intimate knowledge of the deer there. I hunt in a huge national forest. I usually hunt the same general area, year after year, and I've been able to watch certain bucks "grow up".

The deer "visit" my home on a regular basis (as I'm typing this, there's 3 does not 15' from my living room window, eating crab-apples from a tree in my yard). I've watched one buck grow from a button buck, to a fork, to a very respectable 10 pointer ~ over the course of 5 years. If somebody shot him when he was just a fork, he'd have never made it to "wallhanger" status.

If you can determine, by year after year observation, that a certain buck will always just be a fork, then go ahead and delete him from the gene pool. Otherwise... let em go, let em grow. Shoot his momma instead.

7. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

I’m not disagreeing with ya rfb45colt… all I’m really saying is that where I hunt here in Michigan, bucks that are a 1-1/2 old are predominantly 6-points or greater. Anything less is pretty uncommon, so why keep the others around to spread their genes when there are obviously better ones around? It’s not uncommon to get a 1-1/2 8-point, 9-point or 10-point around here. I must also say that in all my years of hunting, I’ve only ever seen one fork-horn & I have never seen even one spike-horn… they are rare for this area.

Now, in the Northern parts of Michigan, what you say is defiantly what we find.

Also, around here most bucks don’t make it past 3-1/2 years of age… a lot of hunting pressure in an area where you’re never more then ½ mile from a road. Bucks simply run out of luck before they get any older!

So much info on this, so little time…